CPL TV Contract

Without any broadcast info for the CanMNT match 2 weeks away I’m starting to wonder if MediaPRO has been in negotiations with a traditional broadcaster to televise the game. TSN seems to be out otherwise we would have seen ads already. I’m guessing at this point we may get a glimpse into the CPL broadcast setup sooner rather than later. As DC and others have already said that games will be streamed on the Centre Circle app I’m thinking that MediaPRO might be going long with negotiations with a traditional broadcaster like CBC or Bein and that this game will be broadcast on that channel. If it was going to be a YouTube/CONCACAF Go broadcast the CSA would have published that already.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Without any broadcast info for the CanMNT match 2 weeks away I’m starting to wonder if MediaPRO has been in negotiations with a traditional broadcaster to televise the game. TSN seems to be out otherwise we would have seen ads already. I’m guessing at this point we may get a glimpse into the CPL broadcast setup sooner rather than later. As DC and others have already said that games will be streamed on the Centre Circle app I’m thinking that MediaPRO might be going long with negotiations with a traditional broadcaster like CBC or Bein and that this game will be broadcast on that channel. If it was going to be a YouTube/CONCACAF Go broadcast the CSA would have published that already.

Yeah, waiting on setting up viewing parties based on this.

If it's only streamed there isn't much point as many bars won't touch that or are just not set up to do so.  

Again, I'm not convinced yet the mediaPRO deal has the rights for anything other than friendlies when it comes to NT games. I don’t see how CSB can negotiate rights away for a Concacaf/FIFA tournaments.

Concacaf seems to have partnered with this streaming service OZ. That’s where the games were last fall and that’s where it seems to be again...at least for streaming.

https://www.oz.com/concacafgo/video/9f40ee09-9a55-46d2-b559-d87398a5069b

Edited by mpg_29

20 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Again, I'm not convinced yet the mediaPRO deal has the rights for anything other than friendlies when it comes to NT games. I don’t see how CSB can negotiate rights away for a Concacaf/FIFA tournaments.

Concacaf seems to have partnered with this streaming service OZ. That’s where the games were last fall and that’s where it seems to be again...at least for streaming.

https://www.oz.com/concacafgo/video/9f40ee09-9a55-46d2-b559-d87398a5069b

this is true of away games for all teams but federations control domestic broadcasts for home games which is why tsn showed the dominica game last year. the csa gets to sell the broadcast rights for all games whether, they're friendlies or qualifies, if they are played by canada in canada. the lone exception is a major tournament like the gold cup or world cup.

also wasn't the canada dominica game announces on tsn like 10 days prior? why are we all so jumpy

side note: tsn is still listed as the csa's official broadcast partner and bell is still heavily involved

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I saw a post on Reddit from someone who claims to have inside knowledge, he actually seems somewhat legit, saying that some games will be broadcast on CBC and TSN this season. Stellar if true.

Good so long as they are no blackouts on the mediaPro original channel/service. Would be stupid to have to subscribe to both TSN and mediaPro's service just to follow your team if you are a cordcutter.

As for highlights. It's 2019. Short clips of goals have to uploaded to twitter almost immediately or it's a fail.  I really hope CPL has a plan for this.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Every week on YouTube MLS puts out a ~25 minute show showing the weeks games. It would be great if MediaPro produces something like this for their streaming platform. Reviews of the weekends 3 games plus some other extended content.

I didn't even know MLS did this, so I would add that if MediaPro does it for CPL, they should make sure fans know about it! :)

This weekend provided a good example of how much TSN/Sportsnet are viewed as the gatekeeper of relevance.  That 18 year old tennis player Bianca Andreescu won Indian Wells.  DAZN owns the WTA tennis rights and it became apparent on twitter that hardly anyone has even heard of DAZN.  TSN was getting torn a new asshole for not showing it.  Everyone thought it was some sexist conspiracy not to show it on a network and some random charitable company (DAZN) "stepped up" to provide a stream on twitter because the evil networks couldn't be bothered.

Just wait until DAZN bids on the NHL and causes a rebellion.

This hit home why CPL needs TSN/CBC.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

I think part of confusion was that TSN showed the men's matches but not the women's. People aren't up to speed on the way the tennis rights are split up between men/women and the Slam events. But this is another step in favour of IPTV as people realize TSN/Sportsnet are largely good only for the major North American pro leagues, curling & US college football/basketball while they don't care much about everything else unless it comes at a cheap/free price.

It was also the first game changer for DAZN in Canada as they smartly made the stream available on twitter. Views are nearly at 500k for full match - though twitter definition for watching video is very loose at only a few seconds.

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This weekend provided a good example of how much TSN/Sportsnet are viewed as the gatekeeper of relevance.  That 18 year old tennis player Bianca Andreescu won Indian Wells.  DAZN owns the WTA tennis rights and it became apparent on twitter that hardly anyone has even heard of DAZN.  TSN was getting torn a new asshole for not showing it.  Everyone thought it was some sexist conspiracy not to show it on a network and some random charitable company (DAZN) "stepped up" to provide a stream on twitter because the evil networks couldn't be bothered.

I think that would definitely be a game changer.  Somehow, the NHL would be such a huge thing for traditional TV to lose that certain segments of the population would call for government intervention.

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It is really interesting just how focused they are on promoting their own properties.  I watch Tim and Sid a bit (I have always gotten a kick out of them) and despite Sid being a big footy fan, I haven't heard anything about CPL on the show.  You would think it would warrant a mention every once in a while, but it is all Raps, Leafs, and college bball.  Understandable I guess, but unfortunate. 

9 hours ago, red card said:

I think part of confusion was that TSN showed the men's matches but not the women's. People aren't up to speed on the way the tennis rights are split up between men/women and the Slam events.

Quite right, my package in Spain has only ATP for Masters 1000 tennis, no women. So no WTA, and I could not watch that match, which I wanted to at least catch part of yesterday. 

In any case, you can't really say we have tv producers at all sharp when it comes to Canadian talent in the world.

On 3/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

CBC would be good if they are online as well.

Can’t wait to start watching some of these. From a TV viewer standpoint, I am really interested in seeing was the grounds in Halifax, Victoria and Calgary will look like. 

Can you view things streamed on the CBC website from overseas?