CPL TV Contract

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The most important compiler and editor of classic anarchist texts in English is in fact Canadian (using the pseudonym Robert Graham), and Canada also has some leading publishers. There are some interesting young academics in universities, one who is actually quite funny and engaging is geographer Simon Springer at U Vic.

But culturally, you are correct, Canada is not particularly responsive to anarchist thinking or practice of any substance, at least not any more.

The reason this is on topic is that the owner of MediaPRO still has leanings in favour of positions that are clearly anti-system, which is odd considering most young radicals now rich business people seriously adjust to the right. 

One of my prof's at UPEI was a big Godwin researcher.  He was writing a book but I am not sure it has ever seen the light of day.  Classical anarchist thought is pretty niche here - even among academics. 

And I am not going to pretend that my posts on this are on topic :)

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

One of my prof's at UPEI was a big Godwin researcher.  He was writing a book but I am not sure it has ever seen the light of day.  Classical anarchist thought is pretty niche here - even among academics. 

And I am not going to pretend that my posts on this are on topic :)

You don't have to believe this, but I wrote a PM to someone on this board just a few days ago, surname Godwin unbeknownst to most, mentioning his name was the same as the author of Caleb Williams.

George Woodcock was an anarchist and he wasn't niche.

Meanwhile back on the subject matter, one thing that crossed my mind today is that having a company like Mediapro involved as a global rights holder makes it a lot easier to provide live webstreams to online betting companies. That might be where there is some money to be made outside Canada that helps recoup the "investment" being made on broadcast quality webstreams.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Meanwhile back on the subject matter, one thing that crossed my mind today is that having a company like Mediapro involved as a global rights holder makes it a lot easier to provide live webstreams to online betting companies. That might be where there is some money to be made outside Canada that helps recoup the "investment" being made on broadcast quality webstreams.

That’s actually a really cool idea. 

12 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Anyone want to talk about the merits of the electoral college system?

How about the nature of spacetime? 

Wait... let’s talk about Oscar predictions. 

Spacetime is actually curved. It is hard to understand what that actually means, but we all have our own individual "time". When you are close to a large mass or travel at high speeds relative to the speed of light, your time slows down. When you go to the moon and back, which takes you away from the large mass of the earth, your time has passed a teeny bit faster than for those on earth. Fun Fact: GPS technology would be far less accurate if it did not make time adjustments for the fact that time runs a teeny bit faster in the satellites than it does down on earth!

16 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Spacetime is actually curved. It is hard to understand what that actually means, but we all have our own individual "time". When you are close to a large mass or travel at high speeds relative to the speed of light, your time slows down. When you go to the moon and back, which takes you away from the large mass of the earth, your time has passed a teeny bit faster than for those on earth. Fun Fact: GPS technology would be far less accurate if it did not make time adjustments for the fact that time runs a teeny bit faster in the satellites than it does down on earth!

Ha ha... very on point. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Geez - I haven't heard of anyone claiming to be closer to Bakunin since my philosophy days.  Studied Godwin, Proudhon, Kropotkin and Bakunin.  Been a long time since I have heard reference to any of them.  Kropotkin seems to get some airplay since the idea of mutual aid modifies some of Darwin's thinking, but there is usually no love for the classical anarchists.

Ya, I think it depends on university and departments. Here at York, our union definitely has a strong anarcho-syndicalist influence ... in fact, the arbitrator pointed to that fact as a rationale to fucking us over. I am personally a fan of Kropotkin (also Chinese and Indigenous philosophies that align pretty well with anarchist principles), and use him in my research. We're seeing a resurgence in anarchist theory in Social Work research, with abolitionist positions which I am happy to see.

But back to the subject matter, the owner of mediapro may have this political history, but unless he's running Mediapro as a workers' collective, I am not really seeing the relevance to CanPL/media deal. We see plenty of former Trotskyites become more liberal and take up positions in politics or business in ways that have no reflection of their past.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

#BBCEarth

45 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

The owner of Mediapro may have this political history, but unless he's running Mediapro as a workers' collective, I am not really seeing the relevance to CanPL/media deal. We see plenty of former Trotskyites become more liberal and take up positions in politics or business in ways that have no reflection of their past.

In Barcelona and in Catalonia in general, these are ideas that are in the milieu, and have powerful resonance even in a tacit way. This has been written about widely, to the point of some arguing that anarchist practice is a core distinguishing identity of Catalan culture going back hundreds of years. 

And then there are many people who have come out of radical politics and are social democrats and left liberals. 

I think what it gives to Roures is a sort of intense, hell-bent mentality, but there are so many successful business people who have that attitude, and probably more who are quite to the right. BTW, Mediapro also runs Real Madrid TV, so business is business.

WARNING:  Rant ahead.  People who are uncomfortable around the raving comments of an old man are warned not to read this.

I've been a little busy the last few days, and I haven't had much time to have a look at the forum.  Therefore, pardon me for momentarily taking this thread off the current topic of the space-time continuum, fascinating as it may be, and comment on the broadcasting of the CPL.  

I feel it is very important for the league to have a presence on both television as well as out there in the internetosphere.  If it's not on TV, it will only be seen by people who seek it out, and it won't reach any casual viewers.  I'm an old man and I don't watch anything on the internet (unless it's a national team match and there's no choice), but as luck would have it, as soon as my life-long dream of this country having its own football league is about to become reality, I'm most likely moving overseas.  Therefore, the CPL had better be on the internet as well, or I'll explode.

As for TV, please, please, please, anyone but TS F***ing N.  What I have managed to set some time aside for this week, is watching Félix Auger-Aliassime play in the RIO 500 as he ascends into the top 80 in the world (now the second-ranked under 20 player in the world, number one being compatriot Dennis Shapovalov).  

Félix has played three matches so far, and TSN has managed to avoid showing a nano-second of any of them, while showing matches of other players, and then cutting the broadcast off and going straight to something important like the 500th repeat of the bloopers of the month on three different channels with that fatarse Darren Dutyshyn wanker.  This reminds me of the days when the TSN idiots (usually that douchebag with the weird lips who later had that interview show where he interrupted every time a guest answered his question) on their highlights show would give the score of a game of a Canadian footie match with no highlights, and then sit there making fun of the sport for five minutes.  "And now, let's watch another ten minutes of Blue Jays highlights!"

For me, the only choice for TV is the CBC.  I think they're the least likely to cut a CPL match off, or join at half time because Coronation Street went a little long.  

NB:  This was not meant as a criticism of any other posts and their relevance to the topic.  I just needed to rant about TSN.  Thank you for indulging me. 

And now, back to the space-time continuum...

Edited by SuperCanuck

@SuperCanuck what a coincidence...reading your post while watching Felix play on TSN2 right now.

Something to keep in mind...TSN is not producing the tennis broadcasts from RIO. What court was Felix playing on? Were those matches available on a broadcast that TSN could pick up? What else were they broadcasting during those windows. 

As MediaPro will be producing all the CPL matches, any broadcaster, whether it be TSN, Sportsnet or CBC, would be able to pick up that production for broadcast if they acquire the rights.

Personally, I have preferred TSN's television soccer coverage to Sportsnet. 

8 hours ago, masster said:

@SuperCanuck what a coincidence...reading your post while watching Felix play on TSN2 right now.

Something to keep in mind...TSN is not producing the tennis broadcasts from RIO. What court was Felix playing on? Were those matches available on a broadcast that TSN could pick up? What else were they broadcasting during those windows. 

As MediaPro will be producing all the CPL matches, any broadcaster, whether it be TSN, Sportsnet or CBC, would be able to pick up that production for broadcast if they acquire the rights.

Personally, I have preferred TSN's television soccer coverage to Sportsnet. 

Yes, Félix's match today was on TSN...because it was the only singles match played today.  I'm not sure which court all of Félix's previous matches were on, but I think at least two of the three were on the main court, possibly all of them.  Were they available to TSN?  Yes, all of his matches were mentioned in the order of play, and then TSN buggered off to highlights of a baseball landing on the ground with three slack-jawed hicks staring at each other, or whatever the blooper show was filled with.

What else were the geniuses at TSN broadcasting at the time?  As mentioned, some 'highlight' or blooper thing was on three channels.

Yes, TSN's football coverage has now surpassed that of Sportsnet, I'll agree with you, but I think that has as much to do with Sportsnet's level fading as it does with TSN raising their standards.

Well done, Félix!  Félicitations!  The youngest player ever to reach a 500 final.

Edited by SuperCanuck

22 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Yes, Félix's match today was on TSN...because it was the only singles match played today. I'm not sure which court all of Félix's previous matches were on, but I think at least two of the three were on the main court, possibly all of them.

Well done, Félix!  Félicitations!  The youngest player ever to reach a 500 final.

Edited by dsqpr

9 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The commentaries are frigging hilarious, as you might imagine, folks are just thrilled that their monthly packs will include Canadian league, in case they are bored after watched Lille-Nantes.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Hello dsqpr,

Please forgive my ignorance.  I don't follow modern techno culture enough to know for sure, but I'm guessing you're directing me to take the topic of tennis to the tennis forum?  My main point was a criticism of TSN and their history of generally not giving a toss about Canadian sport.  Since the topic had drifted into all sorts other than the broadcast of the CPL, I didn't see anything wrong with congratulating Félix while I was at it.

If I've misconstrued your cryptic message, my apologies.

10 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

They seem to work closely with Bein Sports:

https://www.sportcal.com/News/Search/118319

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bein-sports-and-mediapro-expand-spanish-champions-league-rights-deal

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bein-sports-mediapro-snag-uefa-champions-league-2018-132639324.html

so I suspect CanPL games will be getting a regular airing around the world as filler content in that sort of context, which helps generate revenue to cover the cost of the "investment" made where broadcast quality livestreams are concerned. Should also boost the number of eye balls for sponsorship deals with globally relevant companies like VW.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They seem to work closely with Bein Sports:

https://www.sportcal.com/News/Search/118319

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bein-sports-and-mediapro-expand-spanish-champions-league-rights-deal

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bein-sports-mediapro-snag-uefa-champions-league-2018-132639324.html

so I suspect CanPL games will be getting a regular airing around the world as filler content in that sort of context, which helps generate revenue to cover the cost of the "investment" made where broadcast quality livestreams are concerned. Should also boost the number of eye balls for sponsorship deals with globally relevant companies like VW.

I’m pretty blown away that our new league will be broadcast in other countries pretty shortly after it’s formation. Wow...

11 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m pretty blown away that our new league will be broadcast in other countries pretty shortly after it’s formation. Wow...

Even if there isn't much in the way of a rights fee involved and we simply don't know on that at this point, it's still hugely positive to have a company like Mediapro doing this. Beyond the value of sponsorships angle that go up when you have wider exposure thanks in part to how huge online betting has become globally, if they want to try to gain revenues through transfer fees by signing some of their very best prospects like Marcel Zajac to multiyear deals, this also helps to get those players noticed in a way that wasn't so easy with the likes of Paul Peschisolido and Tomasz Radzinski back in the day.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard