Stephen Eustaquio

18 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

What makes this even more infuriating is that Eustaquio's midfield partner last season (Bruno Costa) started for Porto today... ahead of Uribe and Grujic. Everyone was worried Steph wouldn't get any time with Porto, and now his understudy is doing it instead. 

This isn't completely true.

Grujic is injured and Uribe was possibly given some time to rest after playing in Copa America. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

What actually makes this annoying is how Costa was a former Porto player before who was deemed not good enough, only for them to buy him again even though there was a better option for them right there. Seemed kinda sketchy and I say this as a Porto fan.

Eustaquio chatting it up with *Michael Argyrides again after the Larne-Pacos game.

Larne get one making the aggregate 4-1 and Pacos move on.

*Be nice if he got a chance to feature.  Nothing so far.

But most importantly Spurs beckon for Eustaquio.  Could beat them and still get a transfer to another team in Europe.  If I can dream.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Eustaquio chatting it up with *Michael Argyrides again after the Larne-Pacos game.

Larne get one making the aggregate 4-1 and Pacos move on.

*Be nice if he got a chance to feature.  Nothing so far.

But most importantly Spurs beckon for Eustaquio.  Could beat them and still get a transfer to another team in Europe.  If I can dream.

At the moment whats more important is for Eustaquio to be playing and consistently performing well. Moving to a club won't make a difference from a CMNT perspective, at least not in the short term, him being in peak form going into qualifiers will. He'll get his move eventually, he's too good not to, but part of me doesn't want anything to distract him right now, he's playing great and he's a real difference maker for us.

Edited by LeoH037

3 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

At the moment whats more important is for Eustaquio to be playing and consistently performing well. Moving to a club won't make a difference from a CMNT perspective, at least not in the short term, him being in peak form going into qualifiers will. He'll get his move eventually, he's too good not to, but part of me doesn't want anything to distract him right now, he's playing great and he's a real difference maker for us.

Agree to disagree. I have been on record saying our players should stay longer at clubs and not become nomads but this is the exception for me.   As much joy as it would give me, the odds are against them beating Spurs and they probably overachieved last year, so he will be playing at a lower level, in a position, that wastes his talents for another half season at least. (He was on the centre backs toes a lot tonight).  He has a chance next round to turn some heads, not be cup-tied before the window. Grab that chance. 

I also wonder why you play him tonight, unless it is to get him a bit more noticed. 

Surprisingly there just doesn’t seem to be that big of a market for Eustaqiuo. It’s weird to me given his age and quality, but outside of the Porto / Braga rumours (which have largely died down) there hasn’t been any smoke at all. His transfermrkt valuation is also quite low which confuses me even more.

35 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Agree to disagree. I have been on record saying our players should stay longer at clubs and not become nomads but this is the exception for me.   As much joy as it would give me, the odds are against them beating Spurs and they probably overachieved last year, so he will be playing at a lower level, in a position, that wastes his talents for another half season at least. (He was on the centre backs toes a lot tonight).  He has a chance next round to turn some heads, not be cup-tied before the window. Grab that chance. 

I also wonder why you play him tonight, unless it is to get him a bit more noticed. 

I think you and @LeoH037 are both right, it just depends on the time frame.

For example, if he remains at Pacos I am not worried about his form heading into September or even October. It may actually be good for him to be the "go-to" guy during that stretch, rather than being a new guy finding his feet at Braga or wherever. 

However, if we are talking March, January, maybe even November, perhaps we start to get into the "waste of his talents" category. We still probably wouldn't see a drop in his Canada form because of it, but eventually he'll need to play with better players to reach his potential.

On the bright side, he'll be doing just that with Canada. Playing 14 games with Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, etc. is only going to help him grow and show his best to suitors. He'll get his move eventually, I am sure of that.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

For example, if he remains at Pacos I am not worried about his form heading into September or even October. It may actually be good for him to be the "go-to" guy during that stretch, rather than being a new guy finding his feet at Braga or wherever. 

However, if we are talking March, January, maybe even November, perhaps we start to get into the "waste of his talents" category. We still probably wouldn't see a drop in his Canada form because of it, but eventually he'll need to play with better players to reach his potential.

On the bright side, he'll be doing just that with Canada. Playing 14 games with Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, etc. is only going to help him grow and show his best to suitors. He'll get his move eventually, I am sure of that.

I tuned in and watched about a half hour before I had to go take my son out of the house.  Eustaquio is just so good.  I'm definitely going to tune into the Spurs game.  His transfer value is probably 10 mil Euro or less. He seems like one of the best bargains in football.

Yeah, objectively, I'm not sure if we can really know if a player gets any better just by going to a bigger club. Emotionally though... it just sucks to see an American going to Roma every week while Steph has been passed over time and time again. 

I'm repeating myself at this point, but I think it's a mix of Steph being pretty okay with his current situation (he's said repeatedly that this club has treated him very well) and Pacos demanding a very high price, since they'll only get half his transfer fee. A good showing vs Tottenham could help, but I really think Pacos want to stay competitive even with a bunch of their best players gone. 

And tbf, there's good reason to be impatient. He'll be 25 in a few months. One more bad injury and he could be back to square one again. It's frustrating, but not every team will be willing to sell off such a talent until they absolutely have to.

Edited by PiedPilko

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

All valid points. I am just wondering if he misses a chance for the best move this window.  I worry his club may have faded into mid-table obscurity or worse with no form of European football at, come January. 

8 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

And tbf, there's good reason to be impatient. He'll be 25 in a few months. One more bad injury and he could be back to square one again. It's frustrating, but not every team will be willing to sell off such a talent until they absolutely have to.

A really important point about age and injury. 

I am thinking they are still looking to sell.  He is worth conservatively double what anyone else in the squad is, I would guess.  They have never made more than the equivalent of £2 million any year from sales (that I can find) other than when they sold Jota for around £6 mill.  Like a lot of mid and small clubs ( and some big ones) they have to be hurting from COVID.  And why else play him 90' last night, with a 4-0 lead and him having almost no time off during the summer.  Does not seem they are thinking of him as a season-long asset but rather looking to put him in another shop window before the end of the month.   

8 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

OK, so we're a little under two hours before Stephen gets a huge opportunity to show out on a big stage against Spurs!

Remember, Spurs are coming off the high of beating Man City in their opening match, so maybe, just maybe they'll be overlooking Pacos.

Thanks for the reminder.  Coach soccer tonight and my kids get their second jab so not sure how much of it I will get to see though.