Stephen Eustaquio

Does anyone have the possibility to look at the OneSoccer repeats?

For that first goal I'd like to see the full sequence, from maybe 15 second before. To see how they were moving.

Because Kamal has pushed forward, combines with Oso and Laryea, and I think its Osorio who is marked and passes back to Eustaquio. Who is sitting deepest of all our field players, with Vitória over in the middle, Stephan covering for Kamal. 

This shows a strong sense of positional play, a guy who is not our deepest mid covering that far back as one defender goes forward. And then he takes a long control and looks up. Even though Hoillet is doing a loop from away to back in to stay onside (you can see he already made a half run and was offside, came back, started again) he understands where he is going and drops it into a corner of the box.

Contrast this with his later goal, where he moves into the position furthest up the field in our attack. 

Some real positional and tactical quality there. I am frankly shocked no one has come along to sign this guy from a more potent club.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Some real positional and tactical quality there. I am frankly shocked no one has come along to sign this guy from a more potent club.

It has to be only a matter of time. There's no way he doesn't get bought by a bigger club after his performance this tournament. There will be a lot of eyes on him against Mexico and hopefully he has his best game yet.

5 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i'll bet you a coke wotherspoon doesn't see the pitch in september if the rest of that group is healthy.

….I don’t know, he looked good recently, and is committed. At this point I’ll be surprised if Arfield is there in September.

But Eustaqiuo is currently our best midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

….I don’t know, he looked good recently, and is committed. At this point I’ll be surprised if Arfield is there in September.

But Eustaqiuo is currently our best midfielder. 

Definitely agree on arfield. Agree on wotherspoon as well, I just think he's pretty far down the depth chart to get any play.

17 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i'll bet you a coke wotherspoon doesn't see the pitch in september if the rest of that group is healthy.

Start drinking - no way a guy being instrumental in his club playing Europa playoffs doesn't see the pitch. Consistency is key and I have nothing against Kaye and Osorio but they haven't always been consistent - Wotherspoon has and against the likes of Rangers and Celtic.

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Start drinking - no way a guy being instrumental in his club playing Europa playoffs doesn't see the pitch. Consistency is key and I have nothing against Kaye and Osorio but they haven't always been consistent - Wotherspoon has and against the likes of Rangers and Celtic.

I don't know about this. Wotherspoon was very good in June qualifiers, but even so he still wasn't starting ahead of Kaye and Osorio. Now both have cemented their spots at the Gold Cup.

It's one thing for Hutchinson/Arfield to replace Kaye/Osorio, but I don't think either lose their spot to Wotherspoon unless he is absolutely crushing it at St. Johnstone. There is just too much good mojo between Kaye, Osorio and Eustaquio right now.

I like Wotherspoon, I think we'll use him at times during the Ocho, but he is very clearly the 7th choice, whether we like it or not. That may be good enough to get on the September roster, but it would be at the expense of Liam Fraser. 

It won't be long before Baldisimo and Priso are knocking on the door, and we still don't know how Paton figures in with all of this. Things are looking very good for us in midfield.

I know Transfrmtk isn’t the be all and end all (although it’s usually pretty accurate) but I don’t get how his market value is so low at $4.4M. Obviously his club situation plays a big part but anyone is getting a huge steal if they get him for $8M or less.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I know Transfrmtk isn’t the be all and end all (although it’s usually pretty accurate) but I don’t get how his market value is so low at $4.4M. Obviously his club situation plays a big part but anyone is getting a huge steal if they get him for $8M or less.

Because Cruz Azul didn't actually have anyone keeping track of him and slapped on a $2.5 mil buy option without thinking. Since that was the most recent fee, that's what his 'objective' value seems to be. Pacos are probably waiting for a 7-8 mil offer, and Porto/Braga were probably expecting to get him cheap.

It's very difficult to convince big clubs that someone's value tripled in a single season.

Edited by PiedPilko

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I get your point and I agree, but I said last night I think he's just too far down the depth chart to get any play.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I get your point and I agree, but I said last night I think he's just too far down the depth chart to get any play.

Only undroppable mid is Eustaquio. Atiba will definitely not play every game, Arfield if he decides to show would also be rested (probably as a condition to him coming), then Wotherspoon is in the tier with Osorio Kaye and Piette, although probably last in that tier. All it take is a couple injuries/suspensions and we could see him start.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Only undroppable mid is Eustaquio. Atiba will definitely not play every game, Arfield if he decides to show would also be rested (probably as a condition to him coming), then Wotherspoon is in the tier with Osorio Kaye and Piette, although probably last in that tier. All it take is a couple injuries/suspensions and we could see him start.

Thank goodness for some decent depth. Injuries are almost guaranteed.

The last time Canada made it to the semi finals  in 2007, Julian De Guzman our #6 and defensive midfielder was voted  Gold Cup MVP. Is history going to repeat itself? Eustaquio is  in 2nd place for the golden boot  with 3 G 1A ( Larin is still tied for 3rd with 3G). Regardless of whether he wins the scoring race or not, his play to date makes him a strong contender.  The 3 min video of, ironically, the 2007 Costa Rica game below, is a example of why JDG won the MVP; albeit with the best midfield in Concacaf...warning the music may not be to your taste

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

The last time Canada made it to the semi finals  in 2007, Julian De Guzman our #6 and defensive midfielder was voted  Gold Cup MVP. Is history going to repeat itself? Eustaquio is  in 2nd place for the golden boot  with 3 G 1A ( Larin is still tied for 3rd with 3G). Regardless of whether he wins the scoring race or not, his play to date makes him a strong contender.  The 3 min video of, ironically, the 2007 Costa Rica game below, is a example of why JDG won the MVP; albeit with the best midfield in Concacaf...warning the music may not be to your taste

The 2007 gold cup is what got me following the MNT and reading this forum. I remember after the gold cup we played a friendly against Brazil and we did really well against them. De Guzman scored a nice goal but also made a bad back pass. I have a feeling Eustaquio is going to have an even better career than De Guzman though..

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

In the 2007 edition we lost to the US due to incompetent officiating. That's also something that has been repeated in 2021.