Stephen Eustaquio

1 minute ago, JuicyHam said:

Stephen Eustachio. The stach pronounced like mustache without the mu

Sorry if this joke has been made already 

yeah, I inadvertently made the joke a few weeks ago when I misspelled his name as you have above. I suggested "Il Stache",  but then feared that might be Spanish for something inane like "Enema Donkey". Now there's a nickname for ya!

30 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Why wouldn’t we have sat him vs Haiti and played him vs US and then have his cards wiped in the playoffs?

Because you could still get a card in the quarters that would make him miss the semis.

Now he has a clean slate.

Besides the Haiti match was too important to play a reserve side

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Why wouldn’t we have sat him vs Haiti and played him vs US and then have his cards wiped in the playoffs?

Because if he was then carded vs the USA or in the QF he’s out of a knockout game. Now his next game is the QF and even if he’s carded it’s wiped. 

I came here for this take though: Stephen Eustaquio is everything we hoped Russell Teibert would/could be.

Also, I’m sure they did a cost-benefit analysis and having either Costa Rica or Jamaica in the QFs are both close to a coin-flip.

Would be vastly different if we had to face either Mexico or El Salvador in the QFs. Winning the group would have much higher EV.

This is tournament football and man-management is above all of our pay grades when it comes to what’s most efficient for a deep run. 

I fully trust Herdmans staff and the amount of detail they put into their decision-making. The amount of dedication is something we haven’t really had before and it’s one of Herdmans greatest contributions to our program IMO.

Interesting that he has essentially replaced Piette in the starting lineup as the defensive midfield.  Obviously very different attributes between them both.  And I believe there will always be a need for Piette's toughness.  But interesting that Eustaquio already has 2 goals in 8 appearances for Canada while Piette is still looking for his first goal after 55 games.  Piette also had to endure some pretty abysmal years where we couldn't attack for the life of us.  Either way, Eustaquio is able to control a game in that defensive midfield role and still contribute offensively.  Given what he has shown on set pieces and his ability to distribute a ball, I expect him to add some assists to his international career as well.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

From google translate:

Sensitive to the coach's wishes, Braga has already contacted Paços de Ferreira to find out under what conditions they can negotiate Eustáquio. The Canadian international is also referenced by FC Porto. Precious in the midfield of Paços de Ferreira in 2020/21, Stephen Eustáquio is seen by Braga's officials as an excellent option to fill the void that will cause the transfer of Al Musrati, for around 20 million euros or 15 million if the operation involve the transfer of athletes. RELATED BRAGA Ready for Sporting after long recovery: "It's been tough months" BRAGA "What matters is getting to the Super Cup in excellent shape to win the first trophy" The departure of the Libyan international, at this time highly desired by Benfica and by foreign clubs, could be decided soon and the sports society of Minho does not want to waste time looking for a replacement for the 6th position in the midfield, and should move towards direction. of Eustáquio because it brings together the characteristics intended by coach Carlos Carvalhal. With no time to waste and aware that other clubs are considering hiring the same player, including FC Porto, Braga has already contacted Paços de Ferreira to find out under what conditions they can negotiate it and was surprised by the high bar set by beavers, which does not mean, however, an immediate withdrawal. The talks should continue and may become more consistent from the moment Al Musrati moves to another club, in exchange for another big sum for the finances of Braga. So that the average line does not lose quality, SAD is willing to invest, as was seen, for example, in the hiring of ex-gilista Lucas Mineiro (for 1.5 million euros), and may even suggest to Fr. Ferreira the Ryller, called up for the pre-season after having been on loan at Red Bull Bragantino, or João Novais, whose permanence in the squad is not considered essential by the coaching staff. Currently representing Canada's national team at the Gold Cup, a competition that involves the CONCACAF countries, North America, Central and the Caribbean, Stephen Eustáquio has taken advantage of the competition to value himself a little more and arouse attention.

The card was perfect. 

He gets a bit of rest, is the starter for the QF match and has a clean slate for rest of tourny. 

The majority of MLS players don't enjoy playing vs the bulldog Piette and that's what this American team is, majority MLS players. 

The "forced" squad rotation on the #6 is fine with the #1 priority we have Mr. Baller Eustaquio rest of the tourny. 

Transfer wise, his stock keeps going up, hoping he finds a long term home at some point!

On 7/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, king1010 said:

Cards reset AFTER the quarters. 

he gets a yellow against usa and he is out for the quarters. 

also haiti was a big game. We had to win to ensure qualification. 

cards reset, suspensions don't. If he had gotten a card in the USA game I believe he would have been suspended for the quarters.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, Corazon said:

Interesting that he has essentially replaced Piette in the starting lineup as the defensive midfield.  Obviously very different attributes between them both.  And I believe there will always be a need for Piette's toughness.  But interesting that Eustaquio already has 2 goals in 8 appearances for Canada while Piette is still looking for his first goal after 55 games.  Piette also had to endure some pretty abysmal years where we couldn't attack for the life of us.  Either way, Eustaquio is able to control a game in that defensive midfield role and still contribute offensively.  Given what he has shown on set pieces and his ability to distribute a ball, I expect him to add some assists to his international career as well.

He doesn't have the Davies/David flash factor, but I always believedthat Eustaquio would single handedly bring some stability to that Canadian midfield, and have as big an impact on the team. So far he is doing that, and more. Not only is he a work horse, he is a very good footballer, comfortable with the ball, hell of a first touch, and reads the game very well. It seems the rest of the locked room seems to genuinely like the guy as well. 

33 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

He doesn't have the Davies/David flash factor, but I always believedthat Eustaquio would single handedly bring some stability to that Canadian midfield, and have as big an impact on the team. So far he is doing that, and more. Not only is he a work horse, he is a very good footballer, comfortable with the ball, hell of a first touch, and reads the game very well. It seems the rest of the locked room seems to genuinely like the guy as well. 

Agree with that.  I will add the way I realized I was really beginning to like him and know we rely on him is that almost 100% of the time he makes a correct decision with the ball.  He does have defense splitting passes in him and flair but he knows when to try them. 

It feels like watching Declan Rice.  They have very different skills to add to this but you know your team is 99% safe and can build something from that when they have the ball.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Hes got to have a decent transfer in the works. 

I think Pacos must be demanding a very high price for Steph. The 3.5 M offers seemed very suspect to me when they came out, because they only own 50% of his transfer rights - so they need a minimum of 5 to break even. 

I think Porto is out of the question at this point. They must've reasoned that Costa was free, and Grujic already has chemistry with their squad. They don't have room for another midfielder... but they might come to regret it. Musrati is still with Braga, and those rumors have dried up too.

IMO, Pacos are gonna hold out for another season and hope someone in willing to spend 7-8 mil on him.

1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Post game interview on one soccer - proper player, love the attitude 

Every interview though. He just screams leader - he’ll be our captain if he isn’t already. 

Can’t imagine him going to a team like Braga, or staying at his club.  He’s destined for massive things. He should be at a top 3 club in Portugal or a top 5 league - without question. 

Edited by CanadaFan123