Stephen Eustaquio

Eustaquio goes to show how critical it is for our best players to choose us. It really proves the impact a top-tier player can have on a program - on the field and off, for their direct play and benefits to other players.

I'm not suggesting that we'd have gone to a World Cup with them, but imagine the difference likes of Begovic, De Guzman, **********,  etc. could have made in previous years. We can't lay our eggs without chickens while hoping that some eventually join the flock. I can appreciate that many of our lost players have played in World Cups - but opportunities were lost for us to solidify the foundation of the national team with each and everyone of them.

We don't need Eustaquio as the face of the program. With that lip caterpillar he's never going on a box of Wheaties. But if he keeps up this level of play he could be a generational player for us - one of a few for us right now - including by bringing or keeping others in the fold.

Edited by The Real Marc

He's likely done enough now to make the tournament best 11. 

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but if we make it to the final there is real chance he wins tournament MVP.

That alone should get a club like Porto or Napoli to drop 7-8M on him.

I don't know what Wolverhampton's midfield needs are, but they've had a strong Portuguese contingent for a while. Maybe they will take notice as they monitor Corbeanu. 

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but if we make it to the final there is real chance he wins tournament MVP.

I don't know what Wolverhampton's midfield needs are, but they've had a strong Portuguese contingent for a while. Maybe they will take notice as they monitor Corbeanu. 

Staying another season at Pacos wouldn't be the worse things in the world tbh, he gets to play Europa League and show his quality there.

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Moutinho and Neves would be very tough competition for midfield places.

9 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Staying another season at Pacos wouldn't be the worse things in the world tbh, he gets to play Europa League and show his quality there.

It'd be a shame. Remember, it's Europa Conference League and not Europa League. To even get there, they have to win 2 qualifying rounds.

People say Braga wouldn't be a big step up, but Pacos just aren't a top 5 team in Portugal. Most of their best players were loanees (Costa, Singh, Rebocho) + their best CB will be gone. They could easily be a relegation candidate next season - he really needs to get out of there...

Unfortunately it's not his choice, and if they have to wait 2 seasons to make a profit off him, they'll do that.

Edited by PiedPilko

10 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

It'd be a shame. Remember, it's Europa Conference League and not Europa League. To even get there, they have to win 2 qualifying rounds.

People say Braga wouldn't be a big step up, but Pacos just aren't a top 5 team in Portugal. Most of their best players were loanees (Costa, Singh, Rebocho) + their best CB will be gone. They could easily be a relegation candidate next season - he really needs to get out of there...

Unfortunately it's not his choice, and if they have to wait 2 seasons to get make a profit off him, they'll do that.

If he keeps playing like this the stock will just rise so much they will have to sell him. I don't know why his value is valued so low. He is incredible! It's too bad he plays a position that's not as sexy so it's little harder to market him. Keep it up Stephen!

I think we're really seeing one of the key benefits of international football for players. Every tournament you see players elevate their stock by performing well. It gives scouts an opportunity to draw a direct line between a player and players they know are comparable or actually are the players they compete against. I think every major club in Europe (except the mega clubs) will be tuned in to see him v Mexico 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Oh I can’t wait to see him , Arfield and Hutch ! Omg it’s gonna be good ! 

I just don’t see why this is being said as if it’s our undisputed best midfield.

I honestly think it will only be good with one of them in…not both at the same time.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think we're really seeing one of the key benefits of international football for players. Every tournament you see players elevate their stock by performing well. It gives scouts an opportunity to draw a direct line between a player and players they know are comparable or actually are the players they compete against. I think every major club in Europe (except the mega clubs) will be tuned in to see him v Mexico 

Yep, also think keen eyes are going to pick up on other smart, tidy players like Johnston. If we hang with Mexico, and I think we will, everyone who played a role is going to get a nice bump.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I just don’t see why this is being said as if it’s our undisputed best midfield.

I honestly think it will only be good with one of them in…not both at the same time.

I agree. I think one of the strengths of our midfield is the youthfulness/energy. If we put in Arfield and Hutchinson we might miss out on that.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree. I think one of the strengths of our midfield is the youthfulness/energy. If we put in Arfield and Hutchinson we might miss out on that.

I don’t know.  

If you consider Eustaquio as undroppable (which I do) and you are thinking of a midfield 3, I think Hutch and Arfield are probably the next two on the list.   I love what Piette brings, but Hutch (the “octopus”) can not only break plays up, but also distribute the ball and play forward much better.  And I like Kaye, but I consider him to (still) be a at a lower level than Hutch.  We are talking about the guy who captained Besiktas to the Turkish championship and made huge contributions to their success. He isn’t some guy coasting on reputation.  

Similar situation with Arfield.  I think Oso has generally been under-rated but if it is a choice between the two of them I think Oso starts on the bench.  Arfield is still a beast when he is healthy - and like Hutch made some pretty big contributions to Rangers’ success this year.   

Given their age, I think their situations can be re-assessed as needed, but (again, if healthy) I still think they join Eustaquio in midfield if we are fielding our best 11.  

And just to bring it back to Eustaquio- one of the things I am most impressed with is his engine. In the game against CR in the latter part of the second half, he made a flat-out sprint to win the ball back that was pretty impressive.  I would love to see some objective fitness assessments of our guys because I suspect he has to be near the top.   It seems like he never slows down.  

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know.  

If you consider Eustaquio as undroppable (which I do) and you are thinking of a midfield 3, I think Hutch and Arfield are probably the next two on the list.   I love what Piette brings, but Hutch (the “octopus”) can not only break plays up, but also distribute the ball and play forward much better.  And I like Kaye, but I consider him to (still) be a at a lower level than Hutch.  We are talking about the guy who captained Besiktas to the Turkish championship and made huge contributions to their success. He isn’t some guy coasting on reputation.  

Similar situation with Arfield.  I think Oso has generally been under-rated but if it is a choice between the two of them I think Oso starts on the bench.  Arfield is still a beast when he is healthy - and like Hutch made some pretty big contributions to Rangers’ success this year.   

Given their age, I think their situations can be re-assessed as needed, but (again, if healthy) I still think they join Eustaquio in midfield if we are fielding our best 11.  

I'm thinking that with 3 games in a week, Arfield and Hutch may only play a game apiece.  I could see them playing together against the US in Nashville, but with the travel and everything else, I figure that may be the only game they play of the set of 3.  There is going to be heavy rotation in that midfield three, mostly because I don't think the bodies can handle the workload.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

There is going to be heavy rotation in that midfield three, mostly because I don't think the bodies can handle the workload.

Mostly because it’s our deepest position where not rotating will look stupid.

1. Eustaqiuo 
2. Hutchinson 
3. Kaye
4. Osorio
5. Wotherspoon
6. Arfield
7. Piette

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm thinking that with 3 games in a week, Arfield and Hutch may only play a game apiece.  I could see them playing together against the US in Nashville, but with the travel and everything else, I figure that may be the only game they play of the set of 3.  There is going to be heavy rotation in that midfield three, mostly because I don't think the bodies can handle the workload.

I also expect something like this.

We go with a Kaye/Piette-Osorio-Eustaquio midfield in the first game, against Honduras. Those 4 have some great chemistry built up by now, so that is a positive. Plus they are good enough to contend with Honduras. 

Depending on the situation, maybe we finish the Honduras game by bringing on Hutchinson for Kaye and Arfield for Osorio, then we start the same way versus the USA (Hutchinson-Arfield-Eustaquio).

Or maybe it will be the case of literally only flying them in for the USA game only. 

Either way though, they'll be rotation for sure.

A bit of love from our next opponents:

"Do you remember Stephen Eustáquio? Now it will be a danger for Mexico"

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/copa-oro-recuerdan-stephen-eustaquio-ahora-sera-un-peligro-para-mexico

(The Google translate term cement technician for a coach? is fun to me.  Spanish speakers explain the nuance?)

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A bit of love from our next opponents:

"Do you remember Stephen Eustáquio? Now it will be a danger for Mexico"

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/copa-oro-recuerdan-stephen-eustaquio-ahora-sera-un-peligro-para-mexico

(The Google translate term cement technician for a coach? is fun to me.  Spanish speakers explain the nuance?)

Cruz Azul (Eustaquio's former team) are known as the Cementeros.

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Mostly because it’s our deepest position where not rotating will look stupid.

1. Eustaqiuo 
2. Hutchinson 
3. Kaye
4. Osorio
5. Wotherspoon
6. Arfield
7. Piette

i'll bet you a coke wotherspoon doesn't see the pitch in september if the rest of that group is healthy.