Stephen Eustaquio

13 hours ago, Shway said:

Bombito 🤭.

But in all seriousness do we think Staq could be a 10 for Canada or is he best as an 8 rather than a 6.

I dont think he can play as a 10. He's an 8. His best attributes are controlling the tempo of the game and all his attacking prowess typically comes from arriving later in the box. He isnt naturally in a higher position finding pockets and then connecting, its always movements that start from deeper positions. He'd likely be less effective as a 10 or naturally drop deeper and then miss out on the link between CAM and ST 

Just now, Bigandy said:

I dont think he can play as a 10. He's an 8. His best attributes are controlling the tempo of the game and all his attacking prowess typically comes from arriving later in the box. He isnt naturally in a higher position finding pockets and then connecting, its always movements that start from deeper positions. He'd likely be less effective as a 10 or naturally drop deeper and then miss out on the link between CAM and ST 

This is how I see it too. It's best to let him roam around and find the game. If he's a dedicated 10 or a dedicated 6 we are not taking advantage of his engine. I think he's wired more like a 6 than a 10, but he's definitely best as an 8.

I recall an interview he gave some time ago where he said he sees himself most as an 8 who can do a bit of everything (paraphrasing here). I think we are now seeing that with Porto and that's why we are seeing the best of Staq. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he had a great game yesterday (in part due to the formation).  I do think a lot of his strength's go unnoticed in many games.  Even when his passing and distribution isn't on display, he stills runs all game and puts in a shift and breaking up play.

Found this article posted on the Voyagueur's Facebook page.

Nightingale: Stephen Eustáquio affirms status as Canada’s most important player in CanMNT’s Jamaica win – Canadian Soccer Daily

19 hours ago, Corazon said:

I don't think he had a great game yesterday (in part due to the formation).  I do think a lot of his strength's go unnoticed in many games. 

I heard this a bit and it confused me, honestly.  His role is such that you shouldn't really notice him unless he scores, delivers a great set piece or messes up.  

He messed up on his marking for the Bailey chance and he knew it. And then he made up for it with a class run and finish. But again he was our most accurate passer in the game which was crucial in not making it a long ball ping-pong fest. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a bite and can comment. 

Stephen lined up on the left side of their midfield, had a modest game, was not overly in the mix either going forward or backward, an average game. As mentioned, took corners and a few free kicks. 

He was a bit anonymous because he was shadowing Pedri when they didn't have the ball, and since the latter is coming off an injury and is not 100%, Staq was largely successful. And if not Pedri, he went to look for Gundogan. Both of these rival mids were better in the 2nd half. So he was partially successful, as the best Barça mid was Frenkie who imo was the best player on the pitch tonight. 

As I've argued frequently, you often see him running across the field to fill a gap that I think only he sees. It is like a bit of anxiety, instead of just holding position. He has to fill holes wherever he sees them, it's a bit of horror vacui. Then he often does the classic midfielder move to go to the guy with the ball in possession and offer himself. But this does not always work as he'll draw a rival with him and crowd out the guy with the ball. 

IMO he needs to hold, keep the tension. Not lose position. Believe in his task. This may mean less ball, less kms in a game, but more effectivity. 

Cool but not cold on Montjuïc tonight, Porto fans were not too lively and the stadium lit up well with the Barça supporter group behind the goal.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 11/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then he often does the classic midfielder move to go to the guy with the ball in possession and offer himself. But this does not always work as he'll draw a rival with him and crowd out the guy with the ball. 

Interestingly enough, that nearly exact scenario happened with Kone and Buchanan in the lead up to the second Jamaican goal off the turnover.  You think that you're helping but you create congestion. 

Edited by BearcatSA

Eustaquio man of the match performance today.  Just got his 2nd assist of the night.  Fc Porto currently up 3-0 late in the 2nd half.  Both Benfica and Sporting have dropped points this weekend so this will put Porto in a tie for 1st with Sporting.

Here is his first assist

https://x.com/alexgangueruzic/status/1733591418231468275?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

And his 2nd

https://x.com/alexgangueruzic/status/1733612647051080034?s=46&t=tKRu86Vea8ViJ1G0Nj6cIA

Edited by Corazon

20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Perhaps Staq needs to play slightly higher for Canada. He has  elevated his attacking abilities over the 2 past seasons at Porto and stands out in that regard vs his defensive game. This after having played as a #6 in the lower Potugese leagues.

For that to happen, we better hope that Bombito can grow into a top defensive mid.  Either that or have Priso rediscover his form.  

Kone is too talented going forward to try and constrain in a defensive role so moving Staq up may play to his strengths but it creates new issues with squad balance.  We are already pretty strongly forward-weighted.