Stephen Eustaquio

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For that to happen, we better hope that Bombito can grow into a top defensive mid.  Either that or have Priso rediscover his form.  

Kone is too talented going forward to try and constrain in a defensive role so moving Staq up may play to his strengths but it creates new issues with squad balance.  We are already pretty strongly forward-weighted.   

I just hope Bombito plays as a CB or defensive mid for his club next season. He has a combination of size, skill and althleticism that we dont have. Both positions need to be upgraded, but the player I think most are sleeping on is Saliba. I've been super impressed with his play for CFM this past season. Doesn't yet have the flash of Kone but has a great engine, work ethic, passing ability is tops, good on the ball,  pacey and has good size for a 19 yr old. He also showed some grit as the season progressed. Hasn't played as a #6 yet, but he may be able to fill that defensive role. Most teams really don't use a pure #6 anymore and defensive mids are expected to play through a press, which requires  skill on the  ball and pace.

Funny, any of our other players score an own goal and we’re worrying about their playing time or if they’ll get dropped, when Eustaquio does it it’s like, eh, whatever, makes the game more interesting. It’s fine 

(that’s not a knock on anyone, just nice we have a player so consistent that one bad mistake in an “important” game isn’t the biggest deal in the world)

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Funny, any of our other players score an own goal and we’re worrying about their playing time or if they’ll get dropped, when Eustaquio does it it’s like, eh, whatever, makes the game more interesting. It’s fine 

I mean not if they are a bona fide starter, but its always a confidence killer for a young player or newbie. There was nothing he could have done. 2 deflections.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

As an aside, anyone check on UT?  

It's not so much today, since we are already qualified first in the group (four of five Spanish teams first in their groups, 2 of 4 English teams dead last). It is last weekend too, being manhandled at home by Girona. 

This is more an internal question, for us Barça fans, but from day one and still now I say Xavi is not a premium coach. I realize we have the excuse of not being able to sign and that is hurting the team, but objectively, the Barça roster is excellent. A bit young, but very strong. 10 days ago vs. Atletico Gundogan, De Jong and Pedri were amazing. The problem is that Xavi is not a premium football coach, and it's a shame considering what a great person he is, so down to earth and agreeable, and what an extraordinary player he was. Meaning we will probably have to live with his limitations for a while (he has his dumbass brother as an assistant, who knows nothing about football), because no one can bring themself to fire him. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

(that’s not a knock on anyone, just nice we have a player so consistent that one bad mistake in an “important” game isn’t the biggest deal in the world)

Not every own goal is a "mistake", and today's certainly wasn't.