Stephen Eustaquio

I just wanted to say that I know I am being hard on him, and that my filter is obviously Barça, and especially Frenkie de Jong. 

Frenkie is a huge talent, for years he has had a very high market value, amongst the highest for mids. But he has not been truly stellar at Barça, and he's been here for years.

One reason, is because he is a bit comfortable, his character is not tough, he lacks malice.

And the other reason is what I am saying about Steph, that he has serious problems holding his position. Just because you can cover a lot of ground, and be the pivot and lead all over the field, does not mean you should. Steph could be all over the place, often is, but should he?

At Barça the coach that hammered Frenkie like this was first Koeman, and now Xavi even more. Okay, the system is too rigid, maybe, positionally, but it if you are going for it, do it right. Because otherwise Frenkie was just this huge talent who ended up spreading  his talent but fundamental ineffectivity all over the field. And this has a consequence: when the team needs you to be somewhere, because it matters you are there, you are off doing something else.

The key difference is that Frenkie has IMO far higher market value than his real worth, and Steph quite the opposite. So how does Steph get his value up? Obviously, not by doing what he's been doing.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just wanted to say that I know I am being hard on him, and that my filter is obviously Barça, and especially Frenkie de Jong. 

Frenkie is a huge talent, for years he has had a very high market value, amongst the highest for mids. But he has not been truly stellar at Barça, and he's been here for years.

One reason, is because he is a bit comfortable, his character is not tough, he lacks malice.

And the other reason is what I am saying about Steph, that he has serious problems holding his position. Just because you can cover a lot of ground, and be the pivot and lead all over the field, does not mean you should. Steph could be all over the place, often is, but should he?

At Barça the coach that hammered Frenkie like this was first Koeman, and now Xavi even more. Okay, the system is too rigid, maybe, positionally, but it if you are going for it, do it right. Because otherwise Frenkie was just this huge talent who ended up spreading  his talent but fundamental ineffectivity all over the field. And this has a consequence: when the team needs you to be somewhere, because it matters you are there, you are off doing something else.

The key difference is that Frenkie has IMO far higher market value than his real worth, and Steph quite the opposite. So how does Steph get his value up? Obviously, not by doing what he's been doing.

As someone who follows the dutch national team almost as much as the canadian, I cant believe I never thought of staq as our frenkie. I seem to remember staq playing more like frenkie before his porto move. Receives the ball between CB's, lots of ball progression and tempo setting. However, I dont remember pre porto staq popping up in the opposing box like he does now. And I still dont think staq does this for CMNT in the way he does for porto. 

Do you think staq has a hard time holding his position for CMNT. I think many of us have said he holds our midfield together single handedly so it is a strange claim that he is all over the place and out of position. If he was surrounded by world class talents and was playing as a 6, then I agree with everything you are saying and he should play rodri esque. But as an 8, guys like gundogan or B. silva (when he plays there) are all over the place and fill in gaps as the see fit. 

36 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

As someone who follows the dutch national team almost as much as the canadian, I cant believe I never thought of staq as our frenkie. I seem to remember staq playing more like frenkie before his porto move. Receives the ball between CB's, lots of ball progression and tempo setting. However, I dont remember pre porto staq popping up in the opposing box like he does now. And I still dont think staq does this for CMNT in the way he does for porto. 

Do you think staq has a hard time holding his position for CMNT. I think many of us have said he holds our midfield together single handedly so it is a strange claim that he is all over the place and out of position. If he was surrounded by world class talents and was playing as a 6, then I agree with everything you are saying and he should play rodri esque. But as an 8, guys like gundogan or B. silva (when he plays there) are all over the place and fill in gaps as the see fit. 

I'd prefer him as a 6. He has a good short passing game, he thinks quick has a versatile shot, I'd rather him follow our attack into the box than trace an opposing attack all the way into ours, and get stuck back there. 

With Oso in decline and Hoillet ageing he's our best option.

But then I want Davies as our right wing turning in so what do I know?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd prefer him as a 6. He has a good short passing game, he thinks quick has a versatile shot, I'd rather him follow our attack into the box than trace an opposing attack all the way into ours, and get stuck back there. 

I think we have a different definition of a "6". For me a 6 to me is the defensive cdm. Casermiro. a 10 is a cam. ozil an 8 is a box to box. pogba 

I agree he should be further up the pitch than just a CDM but I dont think he should replace oso. I fear he wont be able to set the tempo as well and if hes occupying the oso spaces than, he may be easier to mark out of the game. 

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The last few times you mentioned this I never gave it much thought. Davies has world class pace and generally has top service from the left, kind of seemed like a no-brainer despite there being some merits to him cutting inside. However, seeing how things went against a top side like Japan, I just wonder if you are right on this. 

With Tajon playing RB now for Brugge, having Davies cut inside with Tajon overlapping could be an excellent combo. How many sides in World Football are going to have the better of our right flank? Not many. Playing Davies further forward, left or right, gives teams something to think about. 

I would say that Johnston in this scenario drops to the bench. You want to bring him on to play RB? Might be best to push Tajon forward and move Davies to the left. Or, I guess we could keep Davies on the right and move Tajon to the left, then we have two inverted wingers and (hopefully) Johnston can put in the service from RB. 

Come to think of it, I like that last arrangement the best:

--------David---Larin---------

Tajon--Kone--Eustaquio--Davies

Adekugbe-Cornelius-LDF-Johnston

-----------Crepeau-----------------

Call me crazy, but I think that may be our best look. And yes I am pencilling LDF in here. 

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The last few times you mentioned this I never gave it much thought. Davies has world class pace and generally has top service from the left, kind of seemed like a no-brainer despite there being some merits to him cutting inside. However, seeing how things went against a top side like Japan, I just wonder if you are right on this. 

With Tajon playing RB now for Brugge, having Davies cut inside with Tajon overlapping could be an excellent combo. How many sides in World Football are going to have the better of our right flank? Not many. Playing Davies further forward, left or right, gives teams something to think about. 

I would say that Johnston in this scenario drops to the bench. You want to bring him on to play RB? Might be best to push Tajon forward and move Davies to the left. Or, I guess we could keep Davies on the right and move Tajon to the left, then we have two inverted wingers and (hopefully) Johnston can put in the service from RB. 

Call me crazy, but I think that may be our best look. And yes I am pencilling LDF in here. 

agreed. Laryea and adekugbe fight it out at LB. If neither are in form and/or millar/corbenau hit hot streaks, then davies goes lb and one of them come in.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Absolutely beautiful.  I love this for CONCACAF, and would drop Larin for an extra midfielder vs stronger teams.  

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I think we have a different definition of a "6". For me a 6 to me is the defensive cdm. Casermiro. a 10 is a cam. ozil an 8 is a box to box. pogba 

I agree he should be further up the pitch than just a CDM but I dont think he should replace oso. I fear he wont be able to set the tempo as well and if hes occupying the oso spaces than, he may be easier to mark out of the game. 

Okay, my error. An 8, I guess it is, or a 5; I am shitty with these numbers. What they call in Spanish a "volante" or "interior", the guy working the transition into attack. My bad.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sorry for off topic, but Davies actually has disastrous service from the left for both Bayern and Canada. His assist rate is very poor considering his speed, and he hardly ever scores for club. The positional definition eliminates his offensive usefulness for Bayern, but they don't care as they have other options (supposedly). For Canada the only important assist from the left was the goal tying the States in qualifying 1-1.

I have argued this a few times, but look at his goals for Canada. Except for against Aruba or Cayman Islands, he scores from the right (the Panama goal), or through the middle. I think that Nations League vs. the US was one of the few vs good opposition clearly on the left. 

I don't predict matches, and don't bet, but I do have positional gripes. 

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry for off topic, but Davies actually has disastrous service from the left for both Bayern and Canada. His assist rate is very poor considering his speed, and he hardly ever scores for club. The positional definition eliminates his offensive usefulness for Bayern, but they don't care as they have other options (supposedly). For Canada the only important assist from the left was the goal tying the States in qualifying 1-1.

I have argued this a few times, but look at his goals for Canada. Except for against Aruba or Cayman Islands, he scores from the right (the Panama goal), or through the middle. I think that Nations League vs. the US was one of the few vs good opposition clearly on the left. 

I don't predict matches, and don't bet, but I do have positional gripes. 

What about the goal against Panama in NL? He definitely needs to be more proactive and shoot from those positions more. Be that star player he is. Too often he looks for a pass and I blame that on wanting to defer to his Bayern teammates too often, thinking he is making the "right" play when sometimes you need to be selfish. Perhaps he is coached that way or this was a holdover from when he was just trying to fit in as a left back and do his job properly. At 23 years old he needs to take the bull by the horns, so I agree there. As for the service in general, it needs work to be elite, but I don't think it's as bad as you make it. Inconsistent though compared to the other facets of his game.

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What about the goal against Panama in NL? He definitely needs to be more proactive and shoot from those positions more. Be that star player he is. Too often he looks for a pass and I blame that on wanting to defer to his Bayern teammates too often, thinking he is making the "right" play when sometimes you need to be selfish.

Get ready for the "hero ball" critics on here when those attempts don't yield success.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Get ready for the "hero ball" critics on here when those attempts don't yield success.

I'd like to think there's a world where Davies plays more simple and shoots the ball more often. Whether he passes the ball too often or holds on to the ball to long, it just comes down to better decision making. It'll come eventually. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Porto shockingly drop 3 points at home to Estoril with a 1-0 loss. One Football app says he played 90 and picked up a yellow, with a match rating of 8.2, tied for best on the team with Joao Mario the left back. 

They've been struggling vs. the weakest teams in the league since the earliest fixtures. 

1 hour ago, scullion44 said:

Portos manager must be lretty closed to getting fired?

I think they'll give him the rest of the Champions League group stage. 

But if they fall behind in the league fans and press will get nervous. That'll force them to beat Benfica and Sporting at home and not lose to Sporting away (they already fell 1-0 to Benfica).