Stephen Eustaquio

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Saw this pop up on my feed and another journalist repost it- apparently IMFC wanted Eustaquio once they found out Cruz Azul wasn’t going to extend him:

https://x.com/sofianebenzaza/status/1203056249744564226?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Considering where he landed in Portugal and where’s at at now, especially coming off those injuries, talk about betting on yourself. He could’ve come to Montreal, made good wages and have become an excellent career MLSer if he wanted to. 

Ha - you fooled me when you said IMFC (I thought you were referring to Inter Milan).  😉

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be pretty crazy.  If guys manage to either up their game just a bit, or recapture previous inertia (depending on who we are talking about) you could conceivably have Canadian players at Bayern, ManCity, Inter and one of the many destinations David was linked to (Inter, Spurs, etc).  I know that is a pretty stretch, but just a few years ago that sort of scenario would have been utterly ridiculous.  

Buchanan has been linked to Atletico and Lazio too, so if not Inter there are other options, plus Davies could be a Galatico soon too. Or how about this, a Davies-Eustaquio duo at Man City? 😍

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

Apparently Man City had scouts at Porto's last league game

This is actually how I found the tweet I posted- “canmnt bible” just posted this on Instagram with the implication that they were looking at Eustaquio. Then they just posted another imagine that is Eustaquio and the other city midfielders. I searched eustaquio’s name on twitter in the off chance this was something people were actually talking about, but nope. 

I do think Steph can hang with a premier league team, but cmon. Three of City’s midfielders this year finished 4th, 5th, and 9th in Ballon D’Or this past year. Gundogan who just left finished 14. Kalvin Philips who is a regular England call up can’t even see the pitch. That depth would leave Eustaquio watching the games from the car park.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This is actually how I found the tweet I posted- “canmnt bible” just posted this on Instagram with the implication that they were looking at Eustaquio. Then they just posted another imagine that is Eustaquio and the other city midfielders. I searched eustaquio’s name on twitter in the off chance this was something people were actually talking about, but nope. 

I do think Steph can hang with a premier league team, but cmon. Three of City’s midfielders this year finished 4th, 5th, and 9th in Ballon D’Or this past year. Gundogan who just left finished 14. Kalvin Philips who is a regular England call up can’t even see the pitch. That depth would leave Eustaquio watching the games from the car park.

C'mon Jack let us dream 😂

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Well he did nutmeg KDB 🙂

My view watching Stephan is that he isn't going to draw attention to transfer upto a top team until he learns how to hold position. Running around a lot, filling gaps, even scoring, is not what top teams really want to see. They need to clearly conceive of what role he would play. 

As he evolves he needs to learn to do less but become a master at whatever it is. 

Probably an attacking mid, in front of DMs.

Hate away.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My view watching Stephan is that he isn't going to draw attention to transfer upto a top team until he learns how to hold position. Running around a lot, filling gaps, even scoring, is not what top teams really want to see. They need to clearly conceive of what role he would play. 

As he evolves he needs to learn to do less but become a master at whatever it is. 

Hate away.

While I agree with your observations, how much of that is due to the way his coach wants him to play at Porto? The whole team plays a very high tempo game. They don't seem to hold possession for long periods. It's more like full out attack and then sprint back on defence. Everything is at full speed. He came up through the lower Portugese leagues as a #6 and although he wears that # at Porto he's not playing that role. What we are seeing is more of an attacking #8.  I'm sure he can adjust his game if required to fit a different system. 

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

While I agree with your observations, how much of that is due to the way his coach wants him to play at Porto? The whole team plays a very high tempo game. They don't seem to hold possession for long periods. It's more like full out attack and then sprint back on defence. Everything is at full speed. He came up through the lower Portugese leagues as a #6 and although he wears that # at Porto he's not playing that role. What we are seeing is more of an attacking #8.  I'm sure he can adjust his game if required to fit a different system. 

He also said a few years ago he admired Busquets. Where is that now?

I think that's a good observation, watching Porto i don't see the players defined well and you're right about the tempo.

All year they've been a bit chaotic, they don't use their superiority to put a stamp on lesser rivals, who've been problematic for them since the beginning of the season.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hate away.

I can see most high-press style coaches being impressed with his play, style and tempo.   

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hate away.

I think he might be a little late in his career to improve his game to that point. I do think that he has a lot of value as a floor raiser for a smaller team just like he does with Canada. I think he’s above being some newly promoted team signing, but I wonder how he fits at a team like Fulham for example. Palhinha apparently wants to go to Bayern, Steph might be a good replacement for him. I think if he was 23 then he’d be in a spot where he could really grow into a top tier box to box mid, but where he’s at now, unless he takes a massive leap as of like, next week, I think that if he does get transferred it’ll be to a team just outside of their leagues European qualification that wants to try and sneak in. My actual prediction is that he stays at Porto and then either winds his career down back at Pacos if he had that emotional connection, or MLS if he wants to score a last pay day. 

Realistically speaking though, other than “Super League” quality teams, there aren’t many spots he could land that would give him a better shot at champions league success, winning trophies, etc. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hate away.

Maybe he naturally evolves this way as he ages. In general players tend to use their brains more and their legs less the older they get. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting observation. I haven't watched a full Porto match in some time so I will be looking out for this next time I do. 

29 minutes ago, costarg said:

I can see most high-press style coaches being impressed with his play, style and tempo.   

He made zero impression vs Barça despite Porto handling us the whole match. And despite scoring, though it was called back. I think it's similar for other clubs.

But I'm saying that when he realizes that he doesn't have to prove anything, just do a job, he may be more of a transfer objective. I'm not saying it's Taoist or anything, but do less and all will be done.

Not that I’m the savviest scout out there, but I’ve watched some Porto lately, and I think they play Steph as more of a 6 or 8 depending on his partner- Porto has so many good midfielders that he has changed midfield partners several times this year. For example, right now they’re playing him next to Alan Varela, a young player who plays a lot more defensively. All three of Steph’s goals have come in games where both play. A few games back, Steph was subbed in at half for Varela as the sole DM and had zero shots on net, but played a good game- lots of tackles, duels, etc. 

I feel like I've gone from the biggest Steph propagandist to chief hype-wrecker but... let's not forget, he was pretty inconsistent getting back from the WC up until now. That combined with him being kinda unexceptional as a physical specimen beyond his engine, and I dunno. I love him but I'm not sure he's going any higher.

I feel like he will have a Hector Herrera career arch....play the bulk of his career with Porto as an important player for them (which we are starting to see), then in his late 20s or early 30s making a move to La Liga to play for a team like Sevilla, Valencia, Betis...or maybe Atletico. I will throw Villarreal in here for fun as well. Just seems like the natural progression to remain in Iberia. It would be cool to see him in England or Italy, or I guess Germany, but my money is on a lateral-ish La Liga move in the next few years (if he moves at all).

I've never heard a single rumour about Steph in Spain nor any commentator lauding his play, like watching Champions League. 

I heard commentators and analysts very impressed by Buchanan, vs. At Madrid, even his defensive rigour, so it's not like it couldn't happen. 

Seems he still feels he's proving himself. That is fine, but you have quality teammates, trust them. Then show your leadership, get those goals, but be part of the team overall. Then I think what @Obinna says may happen, a club from a higher league will show interest. But let's be honest: it hasn't happened yet it is not because Porto is not one of the most important 8-10 clubs outside the top 5 leagues feeding qualify players to the highest levels.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've never heard a single rumour about Steph in Spain nor any commentator lauding his play, like watching Champions League. 

I heard commentators and analysts very impressed by Buchanan, vs. At Madrid, even his defensive rigour, so it's not like it couldn't happen. 

Seems he still feels he's proving himself. That is fine, but you have quality teammates, trust them. Then show your leadership, get those goals, but be part of the team overall. Then I think what @Obinna says may happen, a club from a higher league will show interest. But let's be honest: it hasn't happened yet it is not because Porto is not one of the most important 8-10 clubs outside the top 5 leagues feeding qualify players to the highest levels.

I know you are building on your "Eustaquio needs to play more maturely" narrative with this post, but like I said before (and I am sure you would agree), as players age they tend to use their brain more than their legs. If that hold true with Eustaquio then clubs from higher leagues (maybe La Liga) will bring him in to play the veteran role, much like Atletico did when they brought in Herrera. 

Of course, if he stays at Porto and finishes his career there is would be fantastic also.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know you are building on your "Eustaquio needs to play more maturely" narrative with this post, but like I said before (and I am sure you would agree), as players age they tend to use their brain more than their legs. If that hold true with Eustaquio then clubs from higher leagues (maybe La Liga) will bring him in to play the veteran role, much like Atletico did when they brought in Herrera. 

Of course, if he stays at Porto and finishes his career there is would be fantastic also.

I think we are agreeing, in a certain way. Just two years ago Steph was sort of emerging, he was an unknown who had a few moments for Canada, and not even Cruz Azul realised they'd missed a chance on him. Qualifying opened a lot of eyes, along with the Porto transfer, but then he sort of underperformed, or at least did not give us his best in Qatar. As was the case with most of the team.

I appreciate you go into a big club and you feel you need to prove yourself, and he is. That is great. But the next step is believe you are that guy. You can see it with the veteran players who may have a similar profile, I am watching Gundogan this season (I think they could be similar players as well), and realise he just does his job, he is very on, rarely off, but has leadership and supreme confidence.

So the next step and stage for Steph is this.

It would really help him to win the league in Portugal this year, and to beat Benfica doing it, as it would relax the team and the coach and they'd get into a more positive, less anxious (because I find them anxious, or agitated) groove.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think we are agreeing, in a certain way. Just two years ago Steph was sort of emerging, he was an unknown who had a few moments for Canada, and not even Cruz Azul realised they'd missed a chance on him. Qualifying opened a lot of eyes, along with the Porto transfer, but then he sort of underperformed, or at least did not give us his best in Qatar. As was the case with most of the team.

I appreciate you go into a big club and you feel you need to prove yourself, and he is. That is great. But the next step is believe you are that guy. You can see it with the veteran players who may have a similar profile, I am watching Gundogan this season (I think they could be similar players as well), and realise he just does his job, he is very on, rarely off, but has leadership and supreme confidence.

So the next step and stage for Steph is this.

It would really help him to win the league in Portugal this year, and to beat Benfica doing it, as it would relax the team and the coach and they'd get into a more positive, less anxious (because I find them anxious, or agitated) groove.

Im not sure I agree that steph is doing to much. he can single handedly hold our midfield together. He's a box to box midfielder so its natural hes all over the pitch. I rarely get him seen caught out of position. I also dont ever see him play hero ball like davies.  So i am not sure what hes doing that is "trying to hard to prove himself" 

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Im not sure I agree that steph is doing to much. he can single handedly hold our midfield together. He's a box to box midfielder so its natural hes all over the pitch. I rarely get him seen caught out of position. I also dont ever see him play hero ball like davies.  So i am not sure what hes doing that is "trying to hard to prove himself" 

He runs far to much and very ineffectively, covering ground that's already covered, appearing where he's not required.

Anyways, box to box midfielders don't really exist, it is just a phrase, not a reality in modern world football. Not saying there are not players who appear in both boxes, but there are strikers and defenders who do that. And not saying you won't get those great plays where a guy receives, gives an outlet, gets it back, passes between the lines, gets it back and scores. But it's rare and when it happens, it is not reserved to the designated box-to-box.

As I see it, they aren't really necessary, just pass the ball through the middle or up the wings and get the ball in conditions to the guys who can score. So if you think you want to be box to box you either have a coach who is very old fashioned, or you are trying to hard, as I see it.  

The only reason you might think he is never out of position is because he is not required by his coach to be in position.

This explains the zero transfer rumours around him, which is rare for a guy playing a scoring, in league and Champions as well, on a top side in Portugal.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He runs far to much and very ineffectively, covering ground that's already covered, appearing where he's not required.

Anyways, box to box midfielders don't really exist, it is just a phrase, not a reality in modern world football. Not saying there are not players who appear in both boxes, but there are strikers and defenders who do that. And not saying you won't get those great plays where a guy receives, gives an outlet, gets it back, passes between the lines, gets it back and scores. But it's rare and when it happens, it is not reserved to the designated box-to-box.

As I see it, they aren't really necessary, just pass the ball through the middle or up the wings and get the ball in conditions to the guys who can score. So if you think you want to be box to box you either have a coach who is very old fashioned, or you are trying to hard, as I see it.  

The only reason you might think he is never out of position is because he is not required by his coach to be in position.

This explains the zero transfer rumours around him, which is rare for a guy playing a scoring, in league and Champions as well, on a top side in Portugal.

Your theory intrigues me so I will watch him more closely next time I catch a Porto match.

Question for you though, if we see transfer talk in the next window will you change your tune? Maybe another half season of this will be all that's needed to ignite some interest....

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Your theory intrigues me so I will watch him more closely next time I catch a Porto match.

Question for you though, if we see transfer talk in the next window will you change your tune? Maybe another half season of this will be all that's needed to ignite some interest....

Definitely. It is still early, though. I don't think we'll see transfer talk in the next few weeks, or for the winter window.

But my hope is that 1-Porto starts to play better in the league, and can win it; and 2-they get into the next round in Champions, which I think they will. So combine those performances and there could be interest in Stephen from stronger clubs.

How much is he worth, as we stand? I think they could get 8-10 million for him at best. It is not even really worth it to them until they can see double that.