CPL General

Interesting that they hired an American with MLS/SUM experience:

https://canpl.ca/article/mark-noonan-named-cpl-commissioner-and-ceo-of-canadian-soccer-business

...Noonan then moved to Major League Soccer (MLS) where, as Executive Vice President of Marketing and Fan Development, he reported directly to the Commissioner of the League and CEO of Soccer United Marketing (SUM), leading the overall strategic marketing and branding for the League, its teams and properties...

Doubt that would have happened four years ago. Better to do this if he was the best available candidate than an Earl Cochrane type hire.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Just a reminder that what I have suggested is that CanPL adjusts its economic model over to regional bus travel similar to junior hockey so that the crowds it is currently attracting are sufficient to sustain it off into the long term future. Frankly nauseating that anyone on here would suggest that I want the league to fail but par for the course on here that people build absurd immature strawman arguments rather than addressing what you actually write. 

Stay on topic

Not to be gloom-and-doom about this announcement (I think this is genuinely a positive step forward), but this part in the CPL's Q&A piece definitely stands out for me. Methinks FC Edmonton's days may be numbered. 

- - - 

CanPL.ca: You have a lot of experience working in soccer, but a chapter that stands out, in particular, is your work at MLS and the USSF in the late ’90s and early ’00s. Do you see similarities between American soccer back then and Canadian soccer now, and how might you draw on what you learned there to apply here in Canada?

Noonan: “I see a lot of similarities. We have to do it in a way that is appropriate to this marketplace and to the various communities that we’re in.

“For example, when you talk about expansion – we had to contract a couple teams in the early days of MLS because we didn’t have the right conditions to be successful, and that was a really painful lesson to learn. But we learned it, and what you learn is that if you don’t have a community that really wants you there, if you don’t have a great owner, if you don’t have a good stadium solution, if you don’t have a passionate group of supporters on the ground, if you don’t have good corporate support, you’re not going to be successful. Hopefully some of those lessons I can apply here.”

42 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

..“For example, when you talk about expansion – we had to contract a couple teams in the early days of MLS because we didn’t have the right conditions to be successful, and that was a really painful lesson to learn. But we learned it, and what you learn is that if you don’t have a community that really wants you there, if you don’t have a great owner, if you don’t have a good stadium solution, if you don’t have a passionate group of supporters on the ground, if you don’t have good corporate support, you’re not going to be successful. Hopefully some of those lessons I can apply here.”

That definitely isn't something you say after you have just been hired unless you are 100% confident the people who hired you see it that way as well and it definitely looks like they want to spin what they are about to do with FCE as emulating what MLS did with the Mutiny and Fusion. Short term pain for long term gain basically. Ditching FCE if they can't find someone willing to invest and spend big on a new stadium is the rational thing to do at this point.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What about the rumor of Davies buying the Eddies??  Is there any truth to that rumor?   He has to be making 5-6million from Bayern, plus endorsements etc.  He is already involved in the BTB? academy..bringing him in world class soccer hero, a high profile owner would be a coup for the league. 

Any new owner should do whatever they can to get Davies involved in some capacity. It would be so good for publicity. I can't see him operating a club though, or being prime investor

6 hours ago, Atlantic said:

One Soccer and the CPL need to work better on when and when not to tease and hype up announcements. This easily could’ve been a one-tweet PR report dropped unexpectedly 

They did that with CSB and almost everyone now says, I never heard of it. Conspiracy theories, hot takes abound.

Given how modern North American sports business operates, CPL did the minimum expected. Bonus points for pre-arranging Athletic interview as they rarely cover the CPL.

Instead of allowing social media, regular media & et al to speculate and set the messaging, CPL got ahead of it. 

NWSL (similar in many ways to CPL) announced a new commish in March. Their media rights holder is CBS. Similar intro interview.

Edited by red card

How interesting is a new commissioner? I'm not sure the point in putting touch resources in trying to create a bunch of hoopla

This registers pretty low on my excitement level. Seems like a good hire but I really dont care who the commissioner is

Edited by SpursFlu

They announced the new commissioner on a YouTube channel and on twitter/Facebook.

They didn't buy the front page of the Toronto Star to tease us nor buy air time or billboard to tease it.

Youtube and social media... which makes anyone business imcompetent opting to not use in this day and age.

Cry me a f'n river...Canada. some willing to die on that hill is pathetic really

Prove Mad Men GIF

Edited by Ansem

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

They announced the new commissioner on a YouTube channel and on twitter/Facebook.

They didn't buy the front page of the Toronto Star to tease us nor buy air time or billboard to tease it.

Youtube and social media... which makes anyone business imcompetent opting to not use in this day and age.

Cry me a f'n river...Canada. some willing to die on that hill is pathetic really

Prove Mad Men GIF

Who the hell buys a newspaper in 2022? Or pays for cable?

What the CPL needs is the opposite of the white old man who will never change his take on soccer, and will live/breathe hockey even in the summer.

17 minutes ago, P-O said:

Who the hell buys a newspaper in 2022? Or pays for cable?

Boomers? 😁

17 minutes ago, P-O said:

What the CPL needs is the opposite of the white old man who will never change his take on soccer, and will live/breathe hockey even in the summer.

CPL is using the right platform - but those with the biggest following (mainstream media) goes out of their way to not talk about the league, that's hurting it's visibility. So of course Onesoccer and CPL will tweet about every little thing, what choice do they have?

Edited by Ansem

55 minutes ago, Ansem said:

but those with the biggest following (mainstream media) goes out of their way to not talk about the league

Honest question:  How do you figure they are going out of their way not to cover the CPL?

Atletico gets the same amount of coverage on our local CBC feed as the Fury used to.

The CPL isn't on, say, TSN's nightly round up?  Other leagues and teams have the same problem.  If the CPL was drawing 20 000 fans a night, they'd get coverage, but it's up to the league to attract the attention of the networks, not the other way around.  I just don't see some active effort to avoid covering the CPL.

Reminder that roster freeze is Sept 1st

The 2022 Roster Compliance Date is April 1, 2022, by 5pm EST, at which time clubs must be roster compliant heading into the start of the 2022 CPL season.

Team rosters will be frozen as of 5:00pm on September 1st, 2022. Except for the two extreme hardship categories, after this date no roster changes (Primary or Canadian Development) are permitted. After the roster freeze date, Teams may still release players but may not sign any new players to their Master or Primary Rosters.