CPL General

This kind of sums up the problem in Edmonton for me. There's a desire from people to see the team succeed, but not a desire to put their own money towards the team's financial stability.

Jeff has provincials this weekend, so he can be excused for not putting his money where his mouth is. But this attitude is becoming fairly prevalent amongst those who were around the team for years.

14 minutes ago, shermanator said:

This kind of sums up the problem in Edmonton for me. There's a desire from people to see the team succeed, but not a desire to put their own money towards the team's financial stability.

WTF are you talking about?!? The comments you made don't seem to have any connection/relevance to the tweets that you quoted.

The tweets are about poor organization (Aug 25), and the community generally supporting the club (Aug 26). If someone cannot go to any one particular game, that's not a problem, and someone with a bit of a profile talking about the club on Twitter is better than NOT talking about the club on twitter.

But I guess for you someone working for a club for 9 years isn't good enough. Good to know your standards. LOL

Swing and a miss, ted. 

Paulus indicates that he wants people in Edmonton to support that club as it "would be a real shame to miss something that was gone because we didn't support it when it was here". But when called and asked if he wanted to buy a ticket and support the club, he won't. 

It's the mindset around the club right now that plagues it. People involved in the soccer scene in Edmonton want others to put their money into supporting the club, while they refuse to do so themselves. Whether they worked for the club for 9 years or not is irrelevant...

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Swing and a miss, ted.

I still don't understand what you are on about, but OK.

You seem to think that somehow Paulus represents the entire market but IMO he is not in any way representative of the average potential buyer of tickets.

And again, IMO, not wanting to buy a ticket to a single match is NOT failing to support pro soccer in Edmonton.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, SpursFlu said:

How interesting is a new commissioner? I'm not sure the point in putting touch resources in trying to create a bunch of hoopla

This registers pretty low on my excitement level. Seems like a good hire but I really dont care who the commissioner is

For certain segments, naming a new commish brings feelings similar to their first day of school. It was covered by all the sports business media in North America. If you want more corporate backing, making them at least aware is a good step.

That being said, OneSoccer's Noonan Q&A views on Youtube is higher than all CPL match highlights since Cavalry v Forge on August 12th. 

Edited by red card

10 hours ago, Kingston said:

Honest question:  How do you figure they are going out of their way not to cover the CPL?

Atletico gets the same amount of coverage on our local CBC feed as the Fury used to.

The CPL isn't on, say, TSN's nightly round up?  Other leagues and teams have the same problem.  If the CPL was drawing 20 000 fans a night, they'd get coverage, but it's up to the league to attract the attention of the networks, not the other way around.  I just don't see some active effort to avoid covering the CPL.

The sports tv channel business model is first cover 24/7 the properties you have the rights to. And in the case of TSN/SN, then cover the teams your parent company owns if not included in point 1. Then cover related events that help promote properties you have rights to i.e TSN covers CANMNT to promote its World Cup coverage.

If the event is mass market enough, it will be covered regardless of the rights situation but it won't be close to the same scale as the rights holder.

It's more pronounced in the US since ESPN perfected the model. It's why NHL highlights are back on ESPN after nearly disappearing when NBC had the rights. 

But the good news is that sports media gatekeeping is largely eroding. 

By the way, I have seen more than a few times CPL highlights on SN. It's on SN 360 just after midnight ET.

Guess the best you can say about Mark Noonan being hired is that the league is acknowledging the need for a course correction and to improvise, adapt and overcome. Have to wonder if Stelco buying into the Forge and Ticats under an American CEO had any influence on shifting the corporate  culture of the Hamilton sports operation that has been so central to CanPL's emergence.

46 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Like you actually gave a fuck🙄

Come on, I'm sure it wasnt meant as a backhanded, not so vague insult to the CPL...in the CPL thread....at CPL fans.  Especially when he is whining about TFC fans always critizing their team.  What kind of a douche would do that, troll consistently for years??  

On 8/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, shermanator said:

Swing and a miss, ted. 

Paulus indicates that he wants people in Edmonton to support that club as it "would be a real shame to miss something that was gone because we didn't support it when it was here". But when called and asked if he wanted to buy a ticket and support the club, he won't. 

It's the mindset around the club right now that plagues it. People involved in the soccer scene in Edmonton want others to put their money into supporting the club, while they refuse to do so themselves. Whether they worked for the club for 9 years or not is irrelevant...

he should have season tickets regardless if he's able to attend games or not

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Like you actually gave a fuck🙄

Frankly nauseating that you would post that. Who set you up as the arbiter of who does and doesn't care about Canadian soccer? In 2018 and 2019 when that slogan was being repeated a lot it was highly unlikely that an American would be hired for any leading role in CanPL and suggesting the league was trying to emulate MLS in some way was highly controversial on here at that point. Mark Noonan's appointment was a surprise given that backdrop and suggests that CanPL's corporate culture has undergone some changes.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Frankly nauseating that you would post that. Who set you up as the arbiter of who does and doesn't care about Canadian soccer? In 2018 and 2019 when that slogan was being repeated a lot it was highly unlikely that an American would be hired for any leading role in CanPL and suggesting the league was trying to emulate MLS in some way was highly controversial on here at that point. Mark Noonan's appointment was a surprise given that backdrop and suggests that CanPL's corporate culture has undergone some changes.

Or, after running league and CSB without a Commissioner/CEO, they realised they did not need either of any substance. 

It would not be the first time someone is hired precisely because h won't make a difference either way. He won't be able to rock the boat and won't bother the boat owners too much either. 

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The substantial time you spend commenting on Canadian soccer suggests you may care about it, but it definitely seems you want this iteration of a domestic league to fail. I'd say 95% of your posts since I joined are an attempt to put the league in a bad light for some reason

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

...but it definitely seems you want this iteration of a domestic league to fail...

That's ludicrous. I repeatedly point out ways that I think they could succeed by trying to emulate what happened with Halifax in more mid-sized markets and by downscaling their budgets a bit more so that the 3000 they can attract in certain other markets would represent break even.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That's ludicrous. I repeatedly point out ways that I think they could succeed by trying to emulate what happened with Halifax in more mid-sized markets and by downscaling their budgets a bit more so that the 3000 they can attract in certain other markets would represent break even.

I know you don't want the CPL to fail you just want them to admit they're shit and you've been right all along

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There are two main ways to downsize budgets: reducing the player budgets and reducing travel.

If you reduce travel (running a bus league, as you have suggested) you're ending pro soccer in western Canada.

If you reduce the player budget, you no longer have a professional league as the salaries currently being paid barely qualify as professional wages.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I know you don't want the CPL to fail you just want them to admit they're shit and you've been right all along

Narduch doesn't appear to have read that carefully enough before he hit like. Actually think the soccer is of a decent standard roughly about tier 5 in England right now with scope to improve further in the years ahead, which is why I'd very much like to see it hang around rather than doing an NASL Soccerwarz style death spiral by chasing after an economic model that they are unlikely to be able to make work.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Narduch doesn't appear to have read that carefully enough before he hit like. Actually think the soccer is of a decent standard roughly about tier 5 in England right now with scope to improve further in the years ahead, which is why I'd very much like to see it hang around rather than doing an NASL Soccerwarz style death spiral by chasing after an economic model that they are unlikely to be able to make work.

I don't think you or anyone else here wants the CPL to fail.

The dispute appears to be that:

a)  Most people do not want to see a regional bus league.  It is either a true national league or nothing.

b)  You don't seem to believe the CPL can become sustainable as a true national league while most people here think it will achieve that before the owners get tired of losses and pull the plug.

Really, only time will tell us who is right.