CPL General

Well there is the reason why CPL needs to have closed door games, help ONesoccer/Media pro get content out.  Even if they dont make any money from the gate, at least they'll help Media pro stay afloat and continue the partnership.  

for master's its ok as l1o is cancelled anyway (unless its coming back??) so they would have to make a squad just to play in the cup which doesnt make sense..I havent heard about plsq being cancelled and blainville is very strong so if plsq takes place it would be very unfortunate

17 hours ago, Big_M said:

for master's its ok as l1o is cancelled anyway (unless its coming back??) so they would have to make a squad just to play in the cup which doesnt make sense..I havent heard about plsq being cancelled and blainville is very strong so if plsq takes place it would be very unfortunate

Assuming the PLSQ goes ahead this year and ASB doesn't win it again, what could be the harm in having (for the 2021 Championship only) both ASB & the winner of 2020 in the PLSQ enter? Instead of 11 teams we get 12. It's not perfect (obviously) but whatever - this year everything is on the table.

4 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Assuming the PLSQ goes ahead this year and ASB doesn't win it again, what could be the harm in having (for the 2021 Championship only) both ASB & the winner of 2020 in the PLSQ enter? Instead of 11 teams we get 12. It's not perfect (obviously) but whatever - this year everything is on the table.

I agree that they should send two teams in that scenario. But of course that would make at least 14 teams next year though (we have 11 pro teams now, plus at least one L1O, and 2 PLSQ).

If Blainville win this year, I guess they would get a spot in the 2022 V Cup to go along with the 2021 spot they already have.

23 hours ago, Big_M said:

On the website L1o says they're targeting a fall season, so there might be one . If that's the case, I don't see why they can't have both of the champions of 2019 and 2020 L1o and PLSQ.

5 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Since there's already a round of 16 without 16 teams, having one or two extra teams from d3 for next year would make sense.

I don't know if the people who decide the Voyageur's Cup participants think about these things, but something like this would provide an opportunity for more d3 players to show their worth to the next round of expansion teams for 2022, since next year may be delayed. It can also provide a blueprint for the Cup in the future, like having two PLSQ/L1o teams (league and cup champions?).

21st Club - the firm CPL hired to set up their international player pool database - did a podcast with Athletic UK. CPL content starts at around 39:25 mark.

Items of note include too many bears in Canada was a headwind in having a pro league for the past 100 years. Quality of international players was a disappontment in year 1. Lack of connections and inexperience amongst club management was the primary issue.

Cavalry signing Cordova came from their database as 21st viewed top teams in Peruvian 2nd division similar to CPL level. Also compared CPL level to English League 2/National League. Podcast host knew Cavalry came from Calgary. Life in Canada great selling point for players. High production quality of matches also helps.

Edited by red card

On 6/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, Kent said:

I agree that they should send two teams in that scenario. But of course that would make at least 14 teams next year though (we have 11 pro teams now, plus at least one L1O, and 2 PLSQ).

You're completely right. I can't count!

54 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I completely do not understand that statement. What are they saying exctly?

It's a mix of two metaphors. Dealing with bears is basically an old term which meant dealing with troubles. Basically it was implied any progress or momentum that Canadian soccer has started or built over 100 years, has been knocked down by people/circumstances/provincial squabbles/other reasons, or bears.   Running into a headwind means the same thing.