CPL General

49 minutes ago, ted said:

WTF are you talking about?!?  How is that rhetorical?!?! Do you even read what you write?!?!

Rob Friend is one of the owners of the club and if you think his survival depends on a salary from the club you are the one being naive. 

As an owner he takes a share in any profits which, as has been debated to death on these forums for a decade, will likely NOT be forthcoming in the first few years. 

The club is in all likelihood incorporated, so he likely takes a salary.  

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Who is the CEO or general manager of the club, Ted?

Is is habitual for people with such posts to not be paid? I don't think so.

Yes, it is habitual for owners of startups to do jobs for the business for which they do not take a salary. 

It would be unusual for him to take a salary as CEO unless they are already profitable or they need some sort of tax write-off.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

The club is in all likelihood incorporated, so he likely takes a salary.  

As a corporation that is seeking to sell ownership stakes, they would want the bottom line to look as profitable as possible. Salaries for Josh and Rob would simply reduce what meager profits (if any) are available and hurt their valuation.

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Meanwhile, our friends in USL have issues of their own... look at the comments 😂

Sports teams have had interns for say ever or at least in modern times. The way they have presented may not be the best look but to get the reaction they got for what is essentially an internship is a little harsh. 

2 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Sports teams have had interns for say ever or at least in modern times. The way they have presented may not be the best look but to get the reaction they got for what is essentially an internship is a little harsh. 

Unpaid internships are b.s. Why do you always have the shittiest takes on issues like this. 

On 2/18/2020 at 1:03 PM, Kent said:

Sorry for the tangent, but to come back to the "lack of parity killed the recent NASL" claim. I thought I'd look into this a bit.

Reasons for folding.

City joined MLS: (3) Atlanta, Minnesota, Montreal
Now for the lack of parity in the NASL. Here is a look at the champions for the last 5 years it operated.

Spring champions: Atlanta, Minnesota, New York, Indy, Miami
Total of all 4 combined: New York (8), Miami (3), San Antonio (2), Minnesota (2), San Francisco, Carolina, Ottawa, Atlanta, Indianapolis.

Not to detract from your valid points, but the Atlanta Silverbacks had absolutely no connection to the ownership group of Atlanta United. NASL couldn't find ownership for the club and saw the writing on the wall when Atlanta United was awarded an MLS franchise in 2014, folding the club at the beginning of 2016. Eventually its reserve club took the name and ended up in NPSL.

So far, professional lower division clubs have been the loser whenever MLS came to town. The latest test case is Miami FC vs Inter Miami. Silva has deep pockets, so we'll have to see how long he feels it's worthwhile to keep up the fight. York 9 and prospective Surrey ownership should take notes.

Edited by Initial B

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Unpaid internships are b.s. Why do you always have the shittiest takes on issues like this. 

Because what we do not know is if someone is receiving university credit for that said internship. Even if they are its considered unpaid. What other takes have I had that would make you think this way? My view is if the individual want to pursue such an opportunity its solely up to them. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Because what we do not know is if someone is receiving university credit for that said internship. Even if they are its considered unpaid. What other takes have I had that would make you think this way? My view is if the individual want to pursue such an opportunity its solely up to them. 

Come on man.

My work has University co-op students that we pay.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Come on man.

My work has University co-op students that we pay.

Yeah, my work has interns that we pay. I was talking to one of our recruiters and they were under the impression (but not quite certain) that you have to pay interns in Canada.

Saying “it’s solely up to them” is (at least sometimes) a cop out for taking advantage of the vulnerable.

13 hours ago, Initial B said:

So far, professional lower division clubs have been the loser whenever MLS came to town. The latest test case is Miami FC vs Inter Miami. Silva has deep pockets, so we'll have to see how long he feels it's worthwhile to keep up the fight. 

Yeah or how about Austin FC? You start a USL team in a city that isn't in the mix for MLS only to see a franchise awarded out of the blue just a year later. 

I like Miami FC though. Silva has a ton of money and don't forget it will take a long time before Inter (if that is how they remain named) will play in Miami proper. 

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, my work has interns that we pay. I was talking to one of our recruiters and they were under the impression (but not quite certain) that you have to pay interns in Canada.

Saying “it’s solely up to them” is (at least sometimes) a cop out for taking advantage of the vulnerable.

Back when The Score was around as a tv channel they had unpaid interns (at least they had job postings for it on their website).  It's a way to get your foot in the door, get some experience and make some connections.  You may not get people fighting each other for an unpaid gig but if you are seriously interested in that career path and have your necessities taken care of there would be value to doing the job.

They aren't looking for experienced, world renowned sports photographers.  They are advertising the opportunity to someone who is looking to get their feet wet. 

6 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Back when The Score was around as a tv channel they had unpaid interns (at least they had job postings for it on their website).  It's a way to get your foot in the door, get some experience and make some connections.  You may not get people fighting each other for an unpaid gig but if you are seriously interested in that career path and have your necessities taken care of there would be value to doing the job.

The problem being that someone from a lower class would have a much more difficult time gaining an internship as they likely wouldn't have family that could support them to do so

37 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

The problem being that someone from a lower class would have a much more difficult time gaining an internship as they likely wouldn't have family that could support them to do so

Yes, that would be a problem for a someone who would need the pay.  Not every opportunity is for everyone.  They are looking for someone who wants (or can) take the opportunity and run with it. 

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think I like kicking off with a Final re-match.

I didn't catch if there was any mention of a split season or different playoff structure.

I didn't see any mention of this in the articles on the website, but they did flag that the full schedule would be released tomorrow. I imagine they'll speak to it then. 

Given that the regular season is ending earlier this year (3 Oct 20) and we finally have an eighth team, I'm wondering if the league will switch to a single season with playoffs (top four in the table) to determine a champion. 

Split seasons grew on me to be honest.  I was not into it in the slightest when it was announced. Until we have 12-14 teams keep it like that. Imo.

I just like the second chance if the wheels fall off. Single table would be worse on the teams that find themselves adrift at the bottom. I am intrigued at the options if the first half of the league slips away that gives managers a chance to tinker, blood youth and gear up for the second half or the season.

There should be some kind of benefit for finishing spots in the league though. Maybe v-cup seeding? Cant end up with a team like cavalry winning both leagues and ending up with nothing.