CPL General

42 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I would think all 3 MLS clubs will be after him once he decides to come back to Canada, and I suspect they could all offer him more money.

Might be a moving target though. From interviews with his family sounds like he feels disrespected by the MLS teams, meanwhile he is repping CPL for a commercial, money might not be the only factor if he's just looking for a victory lap

Besides, he will be under contract at Besiktas until 37, his legs might not be up to MLS at that point

Edited by Complete Homer

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Just saw the Atiba video on CPL's youtube channel as well (without sound at work, will have to rewatch). Nice to see him helping the league out even though he isn't involved with a team... yet.

Hope we can expect another from Alphonso the minute he leaves MLS :) 

Likewise Hoilett and Arfield, maybe some retired legends of the Canadian game too. Certainly means a lot more from Atiba who has been there through thick and thin. 

10 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Might be a moving target though. From interviews with his family sounds like he feels disrespected by the MLS teams, meanwhile he is repping CPL for a commercial, money might not be the only factor if he's just looking for a victory lap

Besides, he will be under contract at Besiktas until 37, his legs might not be up to MLS at that point

Also all the players he grew up with are now involved with CPL and not MLS.  Brampton really needed a team at launch.. Hume would be in for sure as well.

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Im sure its been covered numerous times, but are club owners gonna be able to freely spend money on players and pay whatever salaries they want? 

Nothing is for certain yet, but everyone will agree there will be some sort of salary cap. No word of a transfer cap.  They just had 3 days of meetings so I imagine after the USL season is done, the 8th team is announced and everyone has announced their coaches they should publicly release the roster rules, caps etc etc.  Later in the fall.......... 

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Nothing is for certain yet, but everyone will agree there will be some sort of salary cap. No word of a transfer cap.  They just had 3 days of meetings so I imagine after the USL season is done, the 8th team is announced and everyone has announced their coaches they should publicly release the roster rules, caps etc etc.  Later in the fall.......... 

Thanks for clearing that up! Fingers crossed they dont introduce DP TAM and all that other nonsense 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Macksam said:

Imagine if York 9 becomes the sugar daddy club....when he finally comes home, Atiba convinces Quaresma and Negredo to sign with us.

He's played for 'York' before  ie York Region Shooters in the CPSL in 2002.

He scored the only goal in this game:     at 90 minutes  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports02/02cpsl20.htm  

before I had a digital camera unfortunately.    

Edited by Rocket Robin

21 minutes ago, Ngravs9 said:

Do we know the number of Canadians that will be required on each team yet?

At least half of the 23-25 players on the squad have to be Canadian and 6 of the 11 players on the field at any given time have to be Canadian.

Edited by tyler453

So it begins. The cross-country trials are set to start on September 20th in Halifax and will end on November 6th in Victoria. Looks like Bunbury is running the trials on behalf of the CPL, so he may not be the Forge manager after all.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-schedules-cross-country-tryouts/

Players can receive training camp invitations from any club, but the local team gets first dibs. It seems like the trials may be open to players of any nationality, but it's not totally clear from the article.

Nice to see Bunbury involved and wanting to help.  You could have easily imagined him going sour on Canada after the whole Teal fiasco.. I’m sure he’s secretly pissed at the stunt his son pulled.  Teal could have been an icon just like his dad and would fit in perfectly with our MNT core AND Hamilton in the CPL later on.  

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

There’s going to be lots of L1O, PQSL and U sports types in attendance.  I think 1 or 2 isn’t impossible.

It’s definitely the end of the roster but you never know.

I don't think this is for them, this is public.   I doubt they are forcing those players through a public try out.

My comment is based on this being a public, and in this case publicity, try out.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

I don't think this is for them, this is public.   I doubt they are forcing those players through a public try out.

My comment is based on this being a public, and in this case publicity, try out.

Yeah I agree. I think most serious prospects are known by now. They play for the MLS academies or in League 1 Ontario, or in NCAA or U sports. 

These tryouts are basically looking for the ones that fell through the cracks. That's practically looking for the needle in the proverbial haystack. But hey, at least everybody had a chance. 

Edited by shamrock

35 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Nice to see Bunbury involved and wanting to help.  You could have easily imagined him going sour on Canada after the whole Teal fiasco.. I’m sure he’s secretly pissed at the stunt his son pulled.  Teal could have been an icon just like his dad and would fit in perfectly with our MNT core AND Hamilton in the CPL later on.  

Has he outright denied being the Hamilton coach? It would be a great fit and he has been doing all the things the other Cpl managers have been up to

36 minutes ago, admin said:

I think that would be an astonishing miracle. 

But then again... George Pakos and more recently Ryan Telfer came out of literally nowhere.  And these guys won’t be making CMNT or MLS, just CPL.. so it’s really not far fetched to think that each team could scoop up a guy.

Edited by Keegan

Doubt this is much more than a way to generate some publicity as they'll have people involved in each of the cities who already have a very good idea on who is worth contacting on local amateur and youth teams, but the guys that show up for this will probably have more of a shot than was the case when TFC did it as the last five or so roster spots will probably be guys on very little money that they mainly just need to have around to be able to do some 11 vs 11 work etc in training sessions.