CPL General

12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Back in 2012/2013 FC Edmonton held a combine and it was really interesting how all these amateurs, college (CIS & ACAC) plus few journeymen players were present over a few days having a scrimmage vs the Reserve team 

If I recall correctly the only player that got a contract was this Canadian-Italian Massimo Mirabelli from Ontario playing in the 3rd division of Finland at the time 

So if It’s anything like this I would consider it a success 

There are quite a few of these out-of-contract professionals playing with amateur status in Canada.

A few seasons ago, I played against a striker who was a Fiji international, and this was in division 1 of cusa, not even premier.

His team, Fiji Tavua, have since promoted to premier, and they are second to Foothills FC in the table, but they started from the bottom (division 6), and promoted their way up, so it just demonstrates my point that we shouldn't forget there are good players playing in all sorts of leagues.

Just another example of the unknown, high level, and in some cases mature players out there who may attend these tryouts and stick.

Like @Cheeta eluded to, I think some mature players with a lot of ability and little upside could decide to give the professional game a crack for a few seasons, especially if they are getting paid 50k to do so. In some cases, they could be making less at their day job anyways...which is probably less fun than getting paid to play soccer.

Edited by Obinna

45 minutes ago, top cheese said:

MLS teams go through this exercise it rarely accomplishes anything of substance

But for CPL it might work there's likely a few experienced players around that would take the opportunity to get some exposure. Plus the Challenge Trophy leagues in some provinces have a number of ex pros or high level players who have been out of the pro game for awhile and might seize the opportunity to get an invite to camp. I think of a team like Edmonton Scottish

Probably the best example I can think of.

Paul Hamilton and Chris Kooy, both ex FC Edmonton players are with the club, amongst others, which I believe includes a few Vancouver residency players, if I am not mistaken.

It's p.r. for the league, it gets them in the press (open tryouts give visuals for TV that are more compelling than people holding up scarves or standing behind a podium) and it allows the league to state that they're trying to give a chance to everyone who fell through the cracks, etc. And they might find some guys. 

Said Fazlagic showed up at the original MLS combine without an invite and they weren't going to let him take part. He had a couple of newspaper clippings in Bosnian showing him playing and they decided to let him try out. He was a Bosnian international and refugee and ended up playing for DC United in that first year before getting injured. You never know who is out there. 

cheers, matthew

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Why?

Because the CPL already compiled an exhaustive list of Canadian players from various levels who could play in the league.

None of those players should be expected to participate in the public open trials, as they'd be scouted privately.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Why?

I'm not really trying to be cynical.  I want this to succeed. 

Is there any info on how this is structured?

Evaluating top players among who knows what will show up seems like a Sisyphean task at best. It seems hard enough to do in a controlled professional environment. 

11 minutes ago, RS said:

Because the CPL already compiled an exhaustive list of Canadian players from various levels who could play in the league.

None of those players should be expected to participate in the public open trials, as they'd be scouted privately.

That must be a list of Canadian players in professional environments. That wouldn't account for the high level players in amateur environments, hence the open tryouts.

Obviously, there is a promotional component to this, but I do believe they have a genuine goal of unearthing hidden gems and expect to do so.

Think about it, there will be 7 teams, right? Let's say 26 players per club - that's 182 players. Divide by 2 for Canadian content and you have 91 players. That is a lot of players.

As for foriegn players, I wouldn't be surprised if we find a few from this process, who are here on PR or refugee status, playing amateur soccer in local leagues.

24 minutes ago, admin said:

I'm not really trying to be cynical.  I want this to succeed. 

Is there any info on how this is structured?

Evaluating top players among who knows what will show up seems like a Sisyphean task at best. It seems hard enough to do in a controlled professional environment. 

No doubt it will be difficult, but also fascinating!

I may attend the Calgary tryouts, not as a player, but as a spectator - if possible. I'm very curious to see who shows up to this.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

No doubt it will be difficult, but also fascinating!

I may attend the Calgary tryouts, not as a player, but as a spectator - if possible. I'm very curious to see who shows up to this.

Oh yeah, for sure.  I will go if I get the chance.

If I had $200, I would like to see how fast I could get cut. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

Oh yeah, for sure.  I will go if I get the chance.

If I had $200, I would like to see how fast I could get cut. 

Can we crowd source this money? Film it documentary style, all the lead up, the tryout and aftermath, and use it as a promotional piece for the V’s?!

”Local Soccer Supporter Pursues Dream!”

3 hours ago, admin said:

Well to quote Moneyball... "The first thing they do is run you." I'm pretty sure the physical testing will weed out a lot of people really fast.

It's going to be an absolute mess. To be sure. But anyone with any quality will separate themselves pretty quickly. Whether they're at a high enough level is much harder to discern, but that's going to be a hard question across the board whether you're playing in League 1 Ontario or the German fifth flight or are two years out of U Sports and want to give it one last shot at an open trial.

cheers, matthew

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

He does seem connected but I’m not going to bite until it’s in print from a mainstream media source.  

Like everyone here we’ve all been burned by rumours before.  

Yeah but the thing with Ottawa joining CPL is that there has been nothing other than mere speculation about what might happen. So for me even a rumour would outrank speculation.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

He appears to be reasonably close to the action on this given he runs a Fury related podcast called Ours is the Fury.

I will always point out to Gary Bettman denying the Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg until the day it actually happened. Realistically, there's no way Ottawa can say anything until their season's over

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

How realistic is that? Even he must have a realistic idea of his chances, perhaps a change might be good for his career?

Don't think we can assume that. I'd argue he wouldn't resign for TFC if he didn't believe he could eventually play for the first team (again).