CPL General

56 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Have seen 2000 mentioned (I think in Halifax) as the ultimate target to make the numbers work.

Numbers may be low I got a membership for FC Edmonton the last week of July and I was member #884 so all the clubs are probably higher.

190298E6-0B6A-4BF6-B44A-761D0D9AA6EF.jpeg

14 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Isn't it just based on people signing up that have Twitter? These teams could have a bunch more memberships afterwards, but the people don't have twitter

Yeah but the more people that sign up the more chance that one of them has twitter. So if there is a bunch of people up signing up I would expect to see to the odd tweet.

7 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah but the more people that sign up the more chance that one of them has twitter. So if there is a bunch of people up signing up I would expect to see to the odd tweet.

Its true. You would expect to. However if a lot of the memberships they are getting are being made in person rather than online at this point, then maybe that could explain it

38 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Its true. You would expect to. However if a lot of the memberships they are getting are being made in person rather than online at this point, then maybe that could explain it

Have there been many in person sign up opportunities recently?  I haven't seen any, though I haven't been looking either.  And even then, 0 online (or a low number, if people didn't have/give twitter) after a manager signing must still be disappointing.

53 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Have there been many in person sign up opportunities recently?  I haven't seen any, though I haven't been looking either.  And even then, 0 online (or a low number, if people didn't have/give twitter) after a manager signing must still be disappointing.

As BBTB said, the teams whose membership numbers haven't changed are likely because there's no updated number available yet. The league stopped publicly posting the membership counts about a month ago.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:54 PM, Gopherbashi said:

There's been enough "slips" from the league about Ottawa being the 8th team that either they've been lying the whole time or they're shitting their pants right now.

Guess we'll see.

I don't think it is life or death having an eighth team at the launch.  Preferably of course but not vital.  Other things I read here cause me more concern.

On the plus side, free for all if you want to try to scoop up some bodies off the Fury roster for 2019!

20 hours ago, Zem said:

As BBTB said, the teams whose membership numbers haven't changed are likely because there's no updated number available yet. The league stopped publicly posting the membership counts about a month ago.

They also fixed the reverse-engineered way to get the numbers, according to the user who did it.

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

Can anyone clarify the player recruiting rules? Will a kid from Victoria be forced into the Pacific academy if he's a Cavalry fan?

I dont think anything is set in stone, they are still finalizing all the details.  I dont even think they have said whether all the teams will field academies.  

Watching the Labour Day Classics on tv today makes me  think the CPL should take a page out of the CFL's book and figure out a rivalry weekend, same teams each day/year. My first instinct was July 1st, but since the day of the week for that varies it might be trickier.  But the August long weekend would probably work well.  Hockey is over, weather is good, CFL is Labour Day so it avoids conflicting.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Watching the Labour Day Classics on tv today makes me  think the CPL should take a page out of the CFL's book and figure out a rivalry weekend, same teams each day/year. My first instinct was July 1st, but since the day of the week for that varies it might be trickier.  But the August long weekend would probably work well.  Hockey is over, weather is good, CFL is Labour Day so it avoids conflicting.

Opening day potentially.

Selling out every opening day game would be a marketing coup for the league.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Opening day potentially.

Selling out every opening day game would be a marketing coup for the league.

Would probably want to space it out. Opening day should be a bigger draw on its own, so you might waste the power of a rivalry game if it overlaps. Maybe in the first year it would be OK to drum up interest, but going forward having a separate marketable rivalry week is better than piggybacking off of opening week.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Would probably want to space it out. Opening day should be a bigger draw on its own, so you might waste the power of a rivalry game if it overlaps. Maybe in the first year it would be OK to drum up interest, but going forward having a separate marketable rivalry week is better than piggybacking off of opening week.

I'm still not certain opening day is a slam dunk to be a sell out in all the markets regardless of matchup. Just think it has work to do for that to be ensured, especially in the CFL stadiums.

agree with you that "owning" a day/holiday as a big mark-your-calendar moment every year for a rivalry game would be awesome.

I think I was more confidant of what this league was earlier on. Now I'm not so sure.

22 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I'm still not certain opening day is a slam dunk to be a sell out in all the markets regardless of matchup. Just think it has work to do for that to be ensured, especially in the CFL stadiums.

agree with you that "owning" a day/holiday as a big mark-your-calendar moment every year for a rivalry game would be awesome.

I think I was more confidant of what this league was earlier on. Now I'm not so sure.

To clarify, I didn’t mean to imply that opening day would be sell outs across the league, just that it is reasonable to expect it to be bigger attendance than a typical week.

4 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Just out of curiosity what has changed for you?  Is it the salary cap rumours?  Slow sales in a couple markets?  Possibility of 7 teams instead of 8?

It is early still.  Of course there were going to be questions, and hiccups.  Of course this league wasn't going to fit everyone's expectations exactly.

It still has the potential to fill a massive gap in this country, and to provide a ridiculous amount of fun for those of us who have waited decades for a team to support.

For those worried about its initial quality, I think it will improve steadily and noticeably in the first 10 years.  And I am hopeful that much of that improvement, unlike in MLS, will come from the development of young Canadian domestics within the league.