CPL General

3 hours ago, Zem said:

Oh please. We need to stop with the "North American fans won't watch anything that doesn't resemble the NHL" nonsense. Soccer fans in Canada primarily watch leagues in Europe that don't have caps at all, and North American sports fans seem to "tolerate" the NBA and MLB extremely well for people who supposedly don't like lopsided leagues without salary caps.

The NBA is a very different beast. The number of people who are fans of specific players instead of teams changes the conversation. And I would argue that MLB's lopsided nature has contributed to the league's decline in the younger demographics

Maybe we can tolerate more than I think, but I don't think the league could withstand only having 2 or 3 team with a real chance of winning. None of these teams will have the deep intergenerational bonds that poorer teams rely on

Edited by Complete Homer

47 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The NBA is a very different beast. The number of people who are fans of specific players instead of teams changes the conversation. And I would argue that MLB's lopsided nature has contributed to the league's decline in the younger demographics

Maybe we can tolerate more than I think, but I don't think the league could withstand only having 2 or 3 team with a real chance of winning. None of these teams will have the deep intergenerational bonds that poorer teams rely on

I think the MLB's decline among younger demographics is due to how extremely boring the sport is to watch.

1 hour ago, Daryn27 said:

Sorry this may have been answered earlier in this thread but do we know if Ottawa Fury are the 8th team in the CPL? And I keep hearing about 2 more teams does anyone know which teams that could be?

Hey Daryn27..no we dont know about Ottawa (wink wink).  That would be unprofessional to talk about them jumping leagues while the USL season is still going...but I think 99.9% of guys on here think they are the 8th team.  As for 2 more teams, you can scan some threads but lots of rumors of a Quebec team, maybe another BC team or a Sask team.  All rumors and speculation so far, but thats what makes the forums hum like a little beehive.  

15 hours ago, Ansem said:

Will a $1.5M hard cap achieve the better outcome? I doubt it

The latest number from Victoria was under $1 million on the cap for players, which translates to salary levels for most of the roster that domestic players with other options available in USL and lower levels in Europe may not be particularly keen on. Once cities like Halifax and Victora are part of the mix and need to be catered to in terms of having a viable business model being competitive with the three Canadian MLS teams is a very big ask. Rob Gale's quote probably had more to do with marketing membership sales than anything else.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The latest number from Victoria was under $1 million on the cap for players, which translates to salary levels for most of the roster that domestic players with other options available in USL and lower levels in Europe may not be particularly keen on. Once cities like Halifax and Victora are part of the mix and need to be catered to in terms of having a viable business model being competitive with the three Canadian MLS teams is a very big ask. Rob Gale's quote probably had more to do with marketing membership sales than anything else.

Different clubs will have different goals and objectives

Seems like they are mainly focused on giving opportunities and developing players. In that regard, they are right to not wanting to be forced to spend $2M if they don't need it to fulfill their goals. Other teams will want to win and go to CCL or establish a legacy early on.

That's why the league needs flexibility on the cap to allow teams like Pacific to spend $1M but also to allow others to spend $2M.

19 hours ago, LAK said:

I have a three year work permit which is a little different, but I noticed no difference getting it this time compared to the last 5 I've gotten dating back to 2003. Three different presidents but nothing has changed. I also hear the same sentiment about Trump about crossing the border, but it is exactly as has been previous. I think that's just media hype to be honest.

Sorry off topic...

Definitely a legitimate concern with the green card as your primary residency has to be in the United States to maintain it.

Interesting. it's been significantly tougher on the green card front. I have friends who are jumping through a lot more hoops than they used to. Sit down interviews, more rounds of documentation, etc. etc.

Interesting it hasn't been the case on work permits.

Sorry, again off topic.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's why the league needs flexibility on the cap to allow teams like Pacific to spend $1M but also to allow others to spend $2M.

Doubt that would work, because reasonable competitive parity will be needed to keep the league stable. Teams that are way off the pace tend to lose their fanbase and fold in North American soccer leagues. Think allowing for a marquee player or two outside the cap is far as they could sensibly go on flexibility.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On 8/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is true that CPL begins in the middle of a European season, only players released from contract, or those in the summer leagues in Scandinavia, would be free to sign for a CPL club in, say, January/February.

1. Does the European transfer widow apply to Canada and players leaving clubs? I understood it was a designated window for ADDING to the roster. So, I understood Euro clubs could only "buy" players during those windows but could "sell" outside of Europe any time.

2. Seems to me January/February is exactly when CanPL teams will be filling their rosters as pre-season won't even start until around then will it? 

11 hours ago, ted said:

1. Does the European transfer widow apply to Canada and players leaving clubs? I understood it was a designated window for ADDING to the roster. So, I understood Euro clubs could only "buy" players during those windows but could "sell" outside of Europe any time.

Yes and no. Since we are outside of a transfer window in Canada, players who would leave clubs right now couldn't sign for a Canadian club officially until the transfer window opens in Canada next which is in February. I wouldn't be shocked that some players who are playing in Europe would be waiting until January because they do want their club to have a replacement in mind if that's the case. A player can be announced earlier than that, but he couldn't be registered until the transfer window opens. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

the transfer window opens in Canada next which is in February

This wouldn't be the CPL transfer window since they haven't announced any rules yet, so is this a CSA rule? The MLS clubs have transferred-in players outside of windows have they not? Or are they playing by US rules?

The transfer window applies to all pro level clubs affiliated to the CSA, which includes our three Canadian MLS teams and the Ottawa Fury, so the Canadian and American windows are synchronized. The summer window closed on August 8th:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window#Current_schedules_and_exceptions

The next one opens Feb 7th and runs to May 1st. That will complicate the acquisition of players based in Europe with clubs that play the conventional Fall to Spring UEFA format because they will still be under contract at that point, which may be part of why they were planning the post-World Cup soft launch with six teams. Can understand why guaranteed contracts are an issue at the moment with the players Steven Sandor contacted, because if there is a waiver system a significant portion of the roster that starts the season next April could find they wind up being cut after only a few weeks to free up space for players moving in from European clubs.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, RickC said:

This wouldn't be the CPL transfer window since they haven't announced any rules yet, so is this a CSA rule? The MLS clubs have transferred-in players outside of windows have they not? Or are they playing by US rules?

Transfer window are done via federations. CSA handles it for the Canadian MLS clubs.

And if MLS clubs have transferred in players outside of the US/Canadian window, it's either because they were free agents at the time or because there wasn't a match before the next transfer window opened or because the transfer was last minute and they waited until they had approval from everyone that it happened in due time. 

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Doubt that would work, because reasonable competitive parity will be needed to keep the league stable. Teams that are way off the pace tend to lose their fanbase and fold in North American soccer leagues. Think allowing for a marquee player or two outside the cap is far as they could sensibly go on flexibility.

Like expansion clubs that were miserable for years? I disagree

Did anyone else feel this about the statements at the V-Cup second leg, from the CSA president for example, about there being 7 teams, and not saying anything else: if you were working on 8, or hoped for 8, you would say so. But if you can't say so, because it is a done deal but they want to keep it silent, you just sit there and say "at least 7" and leave it at that?

For me, the total lack of commentary on the 8th is the biggest confirmation of Ottawa we've seen. 

In any case, I think it is fine if we are going to have a few powerhouses, and the rest are going to have to scramble a bit. In terms of team strength, as we sit, it looks to be, in order: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary close, Halifax and Victoria close though maybe the edge to the former for now, York9 trailing the field. Ottawa would probably rival the first two, or be slightly below.

Just curious as to how you have an idea of how good the CPL teams will be? Have they begun to announce potential players on rosters? Or you just winging it? Id say since Ottawa has a team right now they are hitting the ground running and would probably be the team to beat. Also Edmonton didn’t shut down there academy, and have only shit down for a year so I could see them as maybe and that all depends on if any former players will come back which is doubtful so they could be second  best more likely just as good as the rest of the teams though I think Ottawa would be the only team I’d give an edge to unless you know of something else which would be great to know?

They were discussing it during the Ottawa game last night. They didn't say the Fury would be in, but if they were to (...) they expected some kind of dispersion draft. Maybe CSA has been in contact with Ottawa to get as many Canadian players to sign with them with an eye on the CanPL. Their advantage next year would be huge if they can keep all of those players. 

As for strength, I'd expect Calgary high up there with a roster closely resembling PDL-winning Foothills. Maybe Edmonton can get some of their old roster back together, if not I don't think their youth set-up will be a major advantage in year one. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

They were discussing it during the Ottawa game last night. They didn't say the Fury would be in, but if they were to (...) they expected some kind of dispersion draft. Maybe CSA has been in contact with Ottawa to get as many Canadian players to sign with them with an eye on the CanPL. Their advantage next year would be huge if they can keep all of those players. 

As for strength, I'd expect Calgary high up there with a roster closely resembling PDL-winning Foothills. Maybe Edmonton can get some of their old roster back together, if not I don't think their youth set-up will be a major advantage in year one. 

John Pugh, president and part owner of the Fury, is on the CSA board.

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

From the Ottawa Fury page:

Posted 1 hour ago (edited)
  16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They prefaced it by saying  no one knows who the last team will be and you could almost hear the WINK WINK, but then went on to speculate how the other CPL owners would be mad if ottawa got to keep their current roster of very strong talent.  And how Ottawa will do nicely in any league they are in and how its going to be great for Canada. Sure seems like they just dont want to tank the current season by saying they are jumping ship eh??  

Bison, there was no WINK WINK intended at all.  I have absolutely no inside knowledge about the CPL and have read only what is posted on here concerning it and the speculation there has been about Ottawa participation.

My comment about any sort of dispersal was more of a general sense and my own thoughts regarding it; how would it be viewed if a team currently in existence (and if they ARE the final team involved) has the advantage of having these lads under an active contract and being able to keep them?

Nothing more than the musings of a color commentator.  :)

Cheers

Gordon Smith

Well that’s an excellent clarification thank you Gordon.  It’s good to get that directly sourced explicit clarification and shut it down before about 5,000 national soccer fans take it and run with it.

My opinion, without any inside information other than what has been directly quoted in media and announcement is that Ottawa is likely the 8th team and will join in 2019 or 2020.

I don’t think there should be a dispersal draft either.  If Ottawa has a head start then that’s the advantage of having a going concern operation prior to launch and that seems fair to the fans and owners of Ottawa.  They publicly and clearly have stated this year their intent to build CanCon and they should be rewarded for that.

The only way there should be a dispersal draft is if the league said something like “you can protect 12 Canadian contracts and other teams can *draft* 1 player from your unprotected pool”. That won’t make a huge difference to anyone.

I wouldn't mind seeing player contracts for the CPL with a built in "cost of living" bonus if you play in one of the more expensive markets.  As in, if you play for York 9 or Pacific you get something like a $5k bonus, but if you're traded/sold to Winnipeg (or somewhere with a lower cost of living) than the bonus doesn't transfer with you. 

Didnt the Deltas in NASL have some sort of condo complex they rented for damn near the entire team to live in for the season??  If something about team supplying housing for players was in the contracts it might even things out.  Isnt this done in Europe?