CPL General

14 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Just out of curiosity what has changed for you?  Is it the salary cap rumours?  Slow sales in a couple markets?  Possibility of 7 teams instead of 8?

It is early still.  Of course there were going to be questions, and hiccups.  Of course this league wasn't going to fit everyone's expectations exactly.

It still has the potential to fill a massive gap in this country, and to provide a ridiculous amount of fun for those of us who have waited decades for a team to support.

For those worried about its initial quality, I think it will improve steadily and noticeably in the first 10 years.  And I am hopeful that much of that improvement, unlike in MLS, will come from the development of young Canadian domestics within the league.

Happy to answer.

My expectations were:

Top half USL quality

1.5 million cap.

8 teams.

Not sure it's gonna be those anymore. Very slightly concerned it may become glorified PDL level/lower USL academy team type level. 

It would be shame to start the league with 7 teams 

Now that we know for sure That Mark Goudie from the OSEG Group confirmed the Fury will play in USL next season 

I wish we could know what’s the issue is? 

Do (OFFC) not believe in the new league?

They don’t want to give up their right to their players by holding a dispersion draft?

The Entry Fee (1M)

Salary Cap might be higher than USL and they feel financially not ready 

Edited by Thomas

They initially were saying they could launch with as few as 6. I think I'd rather they launch with 7 than to rush a team out there that isn't ready (i.e. have to play in a temporary stadium first year, not able to properly market the team, etc.).

I certainly don't think they should rush anything to force it to be 8 teams but I do have a few concerns:

1. Sounds like there was no Plan B to the Fury, which is pretty busy league; and

2. A 7 team league is pretty bush league, optics wise (and don't kid yourself, optics are important for the CPL);

3. Why do the Fury believe that the USL is a better option than the CPL? I'm under no illusions that the CPL will be an amazing league right away, but the USL is not a high bar to pass

Edited by El Diego
Added stuff

Think they launch with 7 as it is very late in the day now for another completely new team to be joining and it would be a high risk on turning into a fiasco given the possible markets in stadium terms (St John's would probably be the best to try if they go for it and judging from rumours we have been hearing may actually be the plan B, if there is one). If I were them, I would persuade Pacific FC to hold off for a season to 2020 by announcing face saving stadium related reasons related to the hydro pole issue and go with 6 so they avoid scheduling problems of having to play on weeknights to make up for all the byes for one of the team each weekend and so the relatively thin available talent pool can be targeted more effectively in playing standards terms.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On 8/29/2018 at 7:46 PM, SoccerCoach said:

So if they aren’t the 8th team why is the CPL keeping who the 8th team so quiet. You think they would announce it so they can start collecting memberships. That’s why I’m not to sure if that’s true especially with the fact they said there will be 8 teams at the trials with 8 coaches.

So it's to be Goderich FC after all then?

Have to wonder if this is where Bill Manning swoops in with an offer CanPL can't refuse: we'll put a team in Moncton or wherever you want, stocked with players too good for USL 3 but not able to make the leap to TFC.  Call it Atlantic FC or Maritime United or whatever your heart desires. And we'll use our TFC marketing machine to hype the new league.

Which is the lesser of 2 evils I wonder, kicking off with 7 after promising 8 or allowing a farm team?

Personally I'd go with 7 and hopefully expand to 10 year 2 (possibly with the Fury still coming over in year 2 or 3).

If they do have a potential 8th team in their back pocket (Quebec, Surrey, or Moncton maybe) in a way this would be win-win: 8 new teams heavily featuring Canadian players and 1 USL team that already heavily features Canadian players.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

They initially were saying they could launch with as few as 6. I think I'd rather they launch with 7 than to rush a team out there that isn't ready (i.e. have to play in a temporary stadium first year, not able to properly market the team, etc.).

I agree, though 7 is not ideal for scheduling purposes at all. I mean neither is 9 or 11 but 7 is worse.

Hopefully they have seen this coming for a while and have been working behind the scenes on a plan B for an 8th team which has not been announced yet.

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I agree, though 7 is not ideal for scheduling purposes at all. I mean neither is 9 or 11 but 7 is worse.

Hopefully they have seen this coming for a while and have been working behind the scenes on a plan B for an 8th team which has not been announced yet.

Actually, now would be a really great time for them to announce the 8th team, or at least announce a countdown timer. The longer they wait to react, the less prepared they look in regards to losing Ottawa.

3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Happy to answer.

My expectations were:

Top half USL quality

1.5 million cap.

8 teams.

Not sure it's gonna be those anymore. Very slightly concerned it may become glorified PDL level/lower USL academy team type level. 

Yeah, so it appears my expectations were way off...Just like I worried about...Read the whole thread to get an idea of what the latest is.

https://twitter.com/FuryFanatic/status/1037427311258333184

If Ottawa was supposed to be the 8th team, and I expect 98% of everybody following this launch was expecting they would be, this unpleasant surprise should have been handled waaaay better.  

Joint statement by both organizations all sad but hopeful and full of mutual respect kind of crap.  

But nope, now it all just looks bad.  Not having 7 teams launching the league.  That's kind of a whatever.  It's how a target franchise was able to say no thanks this far into the launch.  I mean what else are they just making up as they go along?

18 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Actually, now would be a really great time for them to announce the 8th team, or at least announce a countdown timer. The longer they wait to react, the less prepared they look in regards to losing Ottawa.

That assumes Ottawa wasn't supposed to be the 8th team.  If they were, and Ottawa just pulled the rug out from under CPL's feet (which is how it appears at this moment), they have no one to announce.

Screenshot_20180905-161401.thumb.jpg.f593b5e7cc3009dafc9d85fd05c3ad73.jpg

Dafuq.....I knew the quality wouldn't be the greatest at the start, and that a salary cap was likely to be implemented, but for CPL to tell clubs and players who and where they can can sign looks and smells like something MLS would do. "Brampton born (insert name) forced to play for HFX as they have rights to any player born in peel."