CPL General

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt the Deltas in NASL have some sort of condo complex they rented for damn near the entire team to live in for the season??  If something about team supplying housing for players was in the contracts it might even things out.  Isnt this done in Europe? 

The Whitecaps did this in their older USL days, and in the early MLS days, not sure what is up now. I know this because I'd see them around False Creek South, I saw players out running, at more than one café near Broadway, even the discards for a road trip playing near False Creek. Almost always the younger foreigners. So I understood the Caps had an apartment or two on the Fairview slopes. 

Well, I could hear the winkwink through the commentary, but no-one said the Fury would join CPL (we all know they will). 

14 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The only way there should be a dispersal draft is if the league said something like “you can protect 12 Canadian contracts and other teams can *draft* 1 player from your unprotected pool”. That won’t make a huge difference to anyone.

That was exactly what was said, and it makes sense. I'm not for a dispersal draft, but if they do it like you say, I don't have any problems with it. 

Getting closer to the player signing phase of the league taking shape.  Apparently the coaches will be meeting to go over all the various aspects of roster building:

valourfc.canpl.ca/article/previewing-the-coaches-summit

This will be the first real get-together,” began Gale. “That’s the key about what we’re waiting for: the timeframes, the permissions to go out and start building our player pool and making sure it’s done as a collective, which is important to the league and to the Canadian players. They want everybody to feel like they’ve got a chance. It’s about doing it in the right way for the Canadian players.

“It’s putting the meat on the bone now for the league – the structures, the systems, the processes, the time frames… it’s giving us the entire blueprint for going forward. The key dates for building our rosters, the preseason… everything.”

Also some interesting hints from Gale that although teams can sign players, the league does indeed intend to allocate certain players, at least for initial season:

There is certainly no shortage of candidates to stock the rosters – and no shortage of interest from internationals looking for work in the CPL.

“We’re getting e-mails every day, phone calls from all over the world,” said Gale. “They’re coming from the African market, European market, from colleagues and contacts I’ve known for a long, long time.

“It’s really interesting because you want to make sure that you’re not promising things to players. You can’t do that until the league has established everything from the cap size to the roster size, to which players are going to be allocated…

“So, we’re in a holding pattern and waiting for that opportunity to go out and really start making contact with players on an official basis. Here’s the thing: if you get two centre backs or an entire back four allocated to you, you don’t want to already have spoken to six other defenders.

23 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Getting closer to the player signing phase of the league taking shape.  Apparently the coaches will be meeting to go over all the various aspects of roster building:

valourfc.canpl.ca/article/previewing-the-coaches-summit

Also from the article:

"The details have yet to be officially revealed, but the rosters will be built through a combination of a player allocation – each team will be assigned the rights to a handful of players – coast-to-coast free-agent camps beginning next month in Halifax and including a stop in Winnipeg in the fall, and a potential draft of U Sports players before coaches and GMs call on their contacts for the signing of players in the opening market."

The article also apparently confirms the league's roster rules:

"The CPL will call for at least six of the starting 11 to be Canadian, and half of the total roster. "

Edited by Zem

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

How would folks rank the managerial choices so far?

1. Hart - ideal man for a Halifax team. He has a ton of Canadian and CONCACAF experience and still has a level of respect from Canadian fans (unlike many past CanMNT coaches).
2. Wheeldon - ideal man for a Calgary team. Coming off a massive season in the PDL and seems ready to step up to the big time.
3. Silberbauer - a total shocker but no one is complaining. Like many he is just stepping into a head coaching role with a men's senior team but his player experience is top notch and he's been assisting in a decent Euro top tier. He also brings a new level of cred.
4. Gale - he's been all over the men's program for almost a decade and might know Canadian soccer better than anyone in this group but his U20 CONCACAF showing was disappointing.
5. Brennan - would and should be higher but his role as owner-coach is a little worrying as was his L1O run. He does have some solid player experience and management experience in MLS.
6. Paulus - a big question mark however his hiring makes a lot of sense.

also don't know if this was posted yet because this thread is usually a maze of nightmares and fantasy but what the hell http://www.themanitoban.com/2018/08/canadian-premier-league-roster-building-details-revealed/34841/

5 hours ago, matty said:

1. Hart - ideal man for a Halifax team. He has a ton of Canadian and CONCACAF experience and still has a level of respect from Canadian fans (unlike many past CanMNT coaches).
2. Wheeldon - ideal man for a Calgary team. Coming off a massive season in the PDL and seems ready to step up to the big time.
3. Silberbauer - a total shocker but no one is complaining. Like many he is just stepping into a head coaching role with a men's senior team but his player experience is top notch and he's been assisting in a decent Euro top tier. He also brings a new level of cred.
4. Gale - he's been all over the men's program for almost a decade and might know Canadian soccer better than anyone in this group but his U20 CONCACAF showing was disappointing.
5. Brennan - would and should be higher but his role as owner-coach is a little worrying as was his L1O run. He does have some solid player experience and management experience in MLS.
6. Paulus - a big question mark however his hiring makes a lot of sense.

also don't know if this was posted yet because this thread is usually a maze of nightmares and fantasy but what the hell http://www.themanitoban.com/2018/08/canadian-premier-league-roster-building-details-revealed/34841/

I agree with your order except I like Paulus ahead of Gale and Brennan.

He has familiarity with his academy players which I believe will be a big help to start off

If I don’t miss my guess, Jeff Paulus has more professional games as a coach under his belt (as an assistant) than all of the other coaches on that list combined by a very significant margin. That may or may not mean that he will be a good bench boss, but his experience has to count for something. The day to day, season long grind of a pro team is much different (and likely far superior) experience to the start-stop cadence of coaching a national team. 

18 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

If I don’t miss my guess, Jeff Paulus has more professional games as a coach under his belt (as an assistant) than all of the other coaches on that list combined by a very significant margin. That may or may not mean that he will be a good bench boss, but his experience has to count for something. The day to day, season long grind of a pro team is much different (and likely far superior) experience to the start-stop cadence of coaching a national team. 

Can he really have that much more experience than Silberbauer's 4 years as an assistant?

6 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Can he really have that much more experience than Silberbauer's 4 years as an assistant?

If I’ve got it right, Paulus has 7yrs as an assistant. And I’m not sure how many pro-minutes-coached the rest of the coaches have, but from what I know of them, it is less than a season’s worth. Honestly, I was forgetting a bit about Silberbauer’s experience as well, so thanks for reminding me. Still, Paulus’ pro-experience is pretty considerable.

I’m splitting hairs a bit talking about pro-experience vs other experience. Are Hart’s & Gale’s national team experience valuable? Is Wheeldon’s PDL experience valuable? Absolutely. Just pointing out that Jeff’s pro experience is very valuable as well. 

51 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yea I don’t see how Brennan would/should be higher than anyone on that list.  Haven’t heard one endearing snippet that would make me think that.  Meanwhile guys like Paulus and Gale, even though they never played pro work their asses off and are loved.

it's his player back ground plus his mls management experience like i said (he worked for tfc for several seasons behind the scenes and on the bench). i think most are going by what they knew of his time in l1o and are concerned by his role with york 9. i think he would be #4 if not for the ownership element to his role for most here even with the l1o stuff.

also gale got shit on a lot last year if i recall correctly over u20 results.

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I agree with your order except I like Paulus ahead of Gale and Brennan.

He has familiarity with his academy players which I believe will be a big help to start off

I don't know if it will be notable difference as Gale likely knows who is out there too and Brennan has an idea of talent in York region from his tenure in Aurora. Like I said his hiring makes sense but I don't know if it'll be a big difference for the reason you're citing. Might be might not be.

Edited by matty

Taking the positive long-term view .....

If he is not up to muster, we should expect that, in time, he won't work out and will get released because he won't be keeping up with the other quality coaches in the league. And thus the CPL will be fulfilling a new important role of maintaining a new higher standard for coaching in this country.  The same should be true of administration, refs, etc etc

18 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Taking the positive long-term view .....

If he is not up to muster, we should expect that, in time, he won't work out and will get released because he won't be keeping up with the other quality coaches in the league. And thus the CPL will be fulfilling a new important role of maintaining a new higher standard for coaching in this country.  The same should be true of administration, refs, etc etc

I think the concern for me is with him also being a part-owner, Head Coach, marketing manager, hot-dog stand customer service engineer, etc., that it is a conflict of interest and he won't be held to the same standard that he should/would be if he was solely the Head coach. 

Edited by maccaliam

Something we may be missing is that Brennan will save a lot of $$ on coaching budget... We've heard rumors that te salary cap could be a combined players/coaches cap... or more like a max salary budget. What are most head coaches being paid? Surely over $100k right? Could York be saving that money on Brennan and putting it towards player budget? They might be able to put that money towards a flashy name to try and sell more tickets.

9 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Something we may be missing is that Brennan will save a lot of $$ on coaching budget... We've heard rumors that te salary cap could be a combined players/coaches cap... or more like a max salary budget. What are most head coaches being paid? Surely over $100k right? Could York be saving that money on Brennan and putting it towards player budget? They might be able to put that money towards a flashy name to try and sell more tickets.

I dont think Brennan will work cheap just to help the club.  Or do you think there was a deal made before hand that his ownership stake was predicated on him coaching on cheap??  Ie "you are the soccer brains, we'll give you get 3% of the club but you have to coach the first season or two for peanuts"  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I dont think Brennan will work cheap just to help the club.  Or do you think there was a deal made before hand that his ownership stake was predicated on him coaching on cheap??  Ie "you are the soccer brains, we'll give you get 3% of the club but you have to coach the first season or two for peanuts"  

I think as a business owner he has a lot of skin in the game, so why wouldn't he want to help the club? He makes a lot more than he would coaching if the team ends up being a success, and he loses money if it fails. Why wouldn't he want to give his club every chance to succeed? The question is does the cap actually work like that? We've only heard rumblings.

9 hours ago, matty said:

Obviously I'm a "homer" but Sliberbauer has to be number one. A UEFA Pro license, played in the Euros, coaching experience with quality clubs and young enough to understand the current generation of players. Due respect to what Steven Hart has done, but he is the past and was hired to be a recognizable name to sell tickets to a certain demographic. Tommy is an awesome guy and will be a contender, but Silberbauer is the coach players will want to play for.

Our chances of topping the league next year went up dramatically yesterday. ;)

We have been bouncing that number around for about 2 years.  We'll know pretty soon even if they dont announce it, when they start signing guys over the winter.  

3 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I think as a business owner he has a lot of skin in the game, so why wouldn't he want to help the club? He makes a lot more than he would coaching if the team ends up being a success, and he loses money if it fails. Why wouldn't he want to give his club every chance to succeed? The question is does the cap actually work like that? We've only heard rumblings.

What I meant was in the oil patch this kind of deal is common.  A technical expert doesnt have the money to buy in to a start up and agrees to work cheap in lue of a cash buy in.  If your just a money guy you put in money.  I get that he wants to help the club, work his ass off etc, but would you work on the cheap so Baldassarra could keep any extra 50G in his pocket???  

I don't know what the start up costs are for a CPL team, nor do I know Brennan's financial situation, but I find it odd he is a part owner, doesn't anyone else?

I know I can't compare CPL and MLS on a financial level, but Steve Nash, I presume, is a lot wealthier than Jim Brennan, by several orders of magnitude. 

So perhaps Jim Brennan as coach is simply how he adds value to the ownership group.