CPL General

We'll find out soon enough. Was there not a guy on Facebook a while back claiming to have seen documents that showed the Fury were not part of it yet? Jon Eden is not the first on this, so maybe there is some sticking point in negotiations. At one point before the World Cup David Clanachan and co were claiming that all eight for the launch would be announced soon from what i remember, so I'm not sure the delay to the fall for the Fury was part of the preferred script. It would be par for the course for Canadian pro soccer if there was still huge ongoing drama going on behind the scenes. I suspect getting Tom Fath on board took a while and was no sure thing until well into this year, but we'll probably never know for sure what really happened.

1 hour ago, LAK said:

I have zero inside information and know nothing of the situation, but I can also confirm that it is by no means a done deal. I wouldn't imagine any of us could confirm until it's...a done deal.

F you watch the video on the CPL website talking about the open trials Jimmy Brennan (Head Coach of York 9FC) clearly says there will be 8 teams 8 coaches at each trial watching and scouting the talent that shows up. So hopefully when they start we will have an idea of who the 8th team is.

The league, which has been pretty conservative on promises, out right guaranteed 8 clubs. I think we are pretty safe to assume they have 8 clubs sown up for 2019 until told otherwise, even if it means we misread the tea leaves and Ottawa isn't it

I still suspect that this will play out like the NASL to USL switch when even reporters close to the team were shocked, OSEG seems to play things close to their chest. Maybe by necessity with USL obligations 

Edited by Complete Homer

I'd have been surprised to see an announcement on Ottawa until the end of the season. It is only fair to the USL and the CPL will want to be on good terms with the USL (and any other professional soccer league in North America).

1 hour ago, Daryn27 said:

F you watch the video on the CPL website talking about the open trials Jimmy Brennan (Head Coach of York 9FC) clearly says there will be 8 teams 8 coaches at each trial watching and scouting the talent that shows up. So hopefully when they start we will have an idea of who the 8th team is.

Is that "F" you or "if you"?

Not to rekindle the endless USL debate, but we got some firmer salary numbers to add some nuance to the Cpl salary figure discussions 

Sounds like some players make zero outside room and board, and an agent quoted a max of 6000/month in season (36,000 USD/46,000 CAD, though one player said his contract was 8 months instead of just 6). An NASL player who made $110,000 the last year the league was around was offered $40-50,000

So a 1 million CAD budget would still put CPL in a bracket above USL, which would probably be sufficient for most domestic soccer fans

https://theathletic.com/495692/2018/08/29/growth-of-the-usl-puts-low-pay-lack-of-insurance-for-players-under-greater-scrutiny/

1 hour ago, Daryn27 said:

If you watch the video on the CPL website talking about the open trials Jimmy Brennan (Head Coach of York 9FC) clearly says there will be 8 teams 8 coaches at each trial watching and scouting the talent that shows up. So hopefully when they start we will have an idea of who the 8th team is.

Exactly, he did say that 8 teams and coaches would be looking

I think we will have Hamilton (Forge FC) announce their Manager ahead of the first trial in halifax on Sept 20

PS: FYP

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Not to rekindle the endless USL debate, but we got some firmer salary numbers to add some nuance to the Cpl salary figure discussions 

Sounds like some players make zero outside room and board, and an agent quoted a max of 6000/month in season (36,000 USD/46,000 CAD, though one player said his contract was 8 months instead of just 6). An NASL player who made $110,000 the last year the league was around was offered $40-50,000

So a 1 million CAD budget would still put CPL in a bracket above USL, which would probably be sufficient for most domestic soccer fans

https://theathletic.com/495692/2018/08/29/growth-of-the-usl-puts-low-pay-lack-of-insurance-for-players-under-greater-scrutiny/

Just clarifying; that second paragraph refers to the USL salary, not the CPL one, yes?

It would be interesting to know how common that "zero" scenario is, though I wouldn't be surprised if either league occasionally let the odd player join on a free trial basis.

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Just clarifying; that second paragraph refers to the USL salary, not the CPL one, yes?

It would be interesting to know how common that "zero" scenario is, though I wouldn't be surprised if either league occasionally let the odd player join on a free trial basis.

Yes, it does

Sounds like it is mostly for squad players outside the 18, but its still pretty shocking in my opinion. The quote was from Reno general manager, one of the better attended teams too

He also said their backup keeper is paid $250 a month. Pretty candid quotes

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Yes, it does

Sounds like it is mostly for squad players outside the 18, but its still pretty shocking in my opinion. The quote was from Reno general manager, one of the better attended teams too

He also said their backup keeper is paid $250 a month. Pretty candid quotes

Oh my.... 

Don't want to see CPL being lower than USL anymore. 

1 hour ago, SoccerCoach said:

That’s funny because after the CPL trial video when Brennan said “there will be 8 coaches watching” I laughed out loud thinking he all but confirmed Ottawa (again). 

Maybe Brennan is just completely lost in all this..

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

That’s funny because after the CPL trial video when Brennan said “there will be 8 coaches watching” I laughed out loud thinking he all but confirmed Ottawa (again). 

Maybe Brennan is just completely lost in all this..

Brennan is lost period but he is not lost when it comes to finding sugar daddies to pay him!

1 hour ago, matty said:

Congratulations Spokane, Washington!

How reliable is FuryFanatic again? I recall him being wrong about the NASL exit (correct me if I'm wrong)

Very reliable, given he broke the move to USL two years ago. If there is an eighth team and it's not Ottawa, St John's, Moncton, Montreal and Burnaby are the only obvious possibilities on the available timeline for stadium related reasons.

Interesting tweet. Suggests they have serious reservations about whether there is ever going to be a second season of CanPL and don't want to lose their USL membership for a league that could be one and done. Understandable and rational from a bean counting standpoint. Saskatoon have also acted in a way that suggests they probably want to see it actually working first, but you get to the point that relatively marginal operations make up the numbers in year one making the reticence and fear of initial failure from groups that probably could hang in there add to the probability of that overall outcome. I suspect the slow membership sales in Victoria may have spooked some people, because that was about as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool after how well things had been going in some of the other cities and probably killed the momentum a bit.