Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

All the article says is that Montreal are looking for allocation money for Miller. 

But I doubt they are specifically looking for "allocation" money. Makes me think they have no overseas offers for Kamal.

Maybe this is about Kamal wanting out due to all the changes. If his goal is to get to Europe, he needs to be with a MLS Cup contender - especially as a defender. Hard to shine as a defender with a poor side.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Seems like a pretty stupid move.

Certainly a head scratcher.  I am speculating that Nancy's replacement will continue to run three at back like he he did with DC, so having a consistent perforner for club and country on the left side would be a key piece of continuity.

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Bring him home Toronto FC!

Would actually be a great fit next to Hedges. Especially with Mavinga out of the way. On paper that would be one of the top pairings in the league. 

Shame for the Impact to be gutted, but at least they are willing to play up-and-coming prospects. I am okay with them being the development club while TFC is the club with 4 core national team players in their starting line up (Miller, Laryea, Kaye, Osorio).

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

All the article says is that Montreal are looking for allocation money for Miller. 

But I doubt they are specifically looking for "allocation" money. Makes me think they have no overseas offers for Kamal.

Maybe this is about Kamal wanting out due to all the changes. If his goal is to get to Europe, he needs to be with a MLS Cup contender - especially as a defender. Hard to shine as a defender with a poor side.

Yeah, sort of has a "player driven move" feel to it.  If so, the reasonings could be many and varied.  Doesn't have to be anything sinister.  Just business.

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Sucks for his development, that's for sure. He had potential to grow much more.

Kennedy, when healthy, will most likely be the 1st choice at LCB. I thought he was missed at the World Cup, definately faster and better in the air

Don't know why you are speaking in past tense. He still very much has the potential to grow and I am sure he'll do just that.

But on your point about Kennedy, yes he is better in the air and he's faster too. He's not particularly agile, perhaps less so than Miller, but he's just as good on the ball from what I have seen. For a while I thought it was going to be Kennedy as the number 1, but injuries left the door open for Miller to grab the role. Wouldn't surprise me though if Scott was able to muscle the starting role away from him though. Then, we have a very capable Cornelius who just transferred to the biggest club in Sweden, and arguably a top 5 club in Scandinavia (Copenhagen, Brondby, Malmo, Rosenborg, Bodo-Glimt?) . 

Yeah, Miller is only turning 26, so not even into his prime for a CB.  He's had 2 solid seasons with Montreal, but I dont think he has outgrown the league.  There was some talk of him being nominated for defender of the year, but it didnt happen.  His passing out of the back is getting batter all the time and hopefully he polishes up other aspects of his game this season.  Will that happen if he transfers to europe and maybe struggles for playing time ala Lareya?  I still think he can stay in MLS and become a Kendall Watson, CHad Marchall, Nat Borchers, be a top MLS CB and anchor the national team into 2026.  

One thing to consider is that should he go to TFC (no rumours aside from hopeful TFC fans trying to wish a homecoming into existence) he's probably not leaving for a while. Toronto doesn't have a good track record of selling players on to a better level. They are more into buying the finished product. Miller isn't the finished product, but he's getting close. Would TFC grant Miller his European wish if say by summer there's a team in Ligue 1, Belgium or the Eredivisie willing to pay 3-4 million for him? If his immediate future away from Montreal involves MLS, I want that to be Toronto, but that particular aspect makes me nervous as a national team fan.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

One thing to consider is that should he go to TFC (no rumours aside from hopeful TFC fans trying to wish a homecoming into existence) he's probably not leaving for a while. Toronto doesn't have a good track record of selling players on to a better level. They are more into buying the finished product. Miller isn't the finished product, but he's getting close. Would TFC grant Miller his European wish if say by summer there's a team in Ligue 1, Belgium or the Eredivisie willing to pay 3-4 million for him? If his immediate future away from Montreal involves MLS, I want that to be Toronto, but that particular aspect makes me nervous as a national team fan.

TFC has an extremely recent example of selling a national team player to Europe so perhaps this current management is more open to it than previous ones.

• 1 month later...

I'm out of the loop, but what do we think happened re: transfer interest from Europe from Miller. It seemed that during and after the World Cup, there was a not-insignificant number of people who felt that he, along with Kone and Johnston we're nearly sure things to pack their bags for a move overseas. We've seen that happen for 2 out of the 3, but what happened in this case? Is it his club needing him or holding out for more? Or was the interest in Miller from Europe luke-warm at best? Does the player have those ambitions? Fill me in.

8 minutes ago, kohanz said:

I'm out of the loop, but what do we think happened re: transfer interest from Europe from Miller. It seemed that during and after the World Cup, there was a not-insignificant number of people who felt that he, along with Kone and Johnston we're nearly sure things to pack their bags for a move overseas. We've seen that happen for 2 out of the 3, but what happened in this case? Is it his club needing him or holding out for more? Or was the interest in Miller from Europe luke-warm at best? Does the player have those ambitions? Fill me in.

I don't think any of us can say for sure, but Miller himself said there were clubs who were interested. I think it was the case of making the right move, not just making any move. I think he also mentioned the challenge of moving in January, or something to that effect, so that may be part of the "waiting for the right move" story. 

It should be noted here that Johnston's move to Celtic was already in the works before the World Cup, and Kone was already linked to Championship clubs before the World Cup, so the interest was less about the World Cup performance itself. Ditto for Cornelius, who moved after the World Cup but didn't play in it. 

Miller's time will come. 

Edited by Obinna
spelling

He had an interview from a little while past where he came out and said that most of the serious interest from abroad were more interested in a summer move, and that his agent is gonna be monitoring the situation and see if it makes sense to make a move then.

like @Obinna said, any deal that happened right after the world cup was in the move for some time before the WC- with everything happening, I don't think clubs will shell out millions of dollars for a player they've just heard of a few weeks ago. AJ has had european interest since Nashville, and Kone had at least two credible offers fall apart for reasons unrelated to his play, so both guys were firmly on the radar, I'm sure the world cup gave their new teams confidence in signing them, but Kamal Miller was more of an unknown.

I think that's a tough situation for him to be in. It's going to be tough to build on his last season with how awful Montreal is shaping up to be, and his role in trying to fix his teammates' mistakes, so hopefully that interest doesn't dry up over the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...