Kamal Miller

Dub Narcotic

3 hours ago, footballfreak said:

I would challenge the notion that Ligue 1 is a distant 5th. At the risk of offending the Italian contingent on here, Serie A has seemingly been in decline for some time, and is drifting closer to France than it is to Germany.

But Serie A overall>Bundesliga

52 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

The guy made some incredible tackles verses Belgium.  They were things of beauty.

Feast or famine:  he made a really vital sliding challenge to cut out de Bruyne's pass at midfield on the counter but then came out second best slide challenging into him a minute later, allowing de Bruyne to get on his horse and set up a great chance only Laryea's last gasp block nullified.

I would prefer him to stay on his feet as much as.  You can bet that the Croats are doing their homework and noting this.  And thinking of the foul on the free kick goal in the Uruguay friendly as well as the already dodging reffing decisions with 4 VAR cooks in the kitchen spoiling the broth, our players need to be careful.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Turkish giant vs MLS minnow? I think Besiktas would be a great move for him, champions league or not. Plus, he’d secure a major bag there.

On a recent podcast Craig Forrest was dismissive of the idea that Turkish clubs pay well, or reliably. Seemed strange to me, and I doubt that would hold for the biggest clubs.

39 minutes ago, gkhs said:

On a recent podcast Craig Forrest was dismissive of the idea that Turkish clubs pay well, or reliably. Seemed strange to me, and I doubt that would hold for the biggest clubs.

Forrest is so old school, it's like he's from the 50s. I find it tiring, and apart, he has no knowledge whatsoever. Then he's insulting the intelligence if Atiba by saying that.

Clubs in Turkey, Greece, Balkans, have been known for paying in "different" ways. There's the salary, then other payments come through. Perks if u like. Deals made verbally but for compliance, you may have to chat with the club president to remind him. Yes, there's likely laundering happening. Meaning you may be making more than the signed contract. You don't talk about it for obvious reasons, the deals and under the table stuff benefit you.

I've spoken about Greece with players who'd been in top flight. Serbia too.

Most of my references are from 8-15 years ago. I suspect things are more in the up and up but probably not entirely.

Miller in Turkey, by all means.

1 hour ago, gkhs said:

The Turkish tax code actually has an exemption for super lig players, where clubs can basically pay half of the player’s income tax for them, so the tax rate is pretty low for players in Turkey. The law was toughened a few years ago, so I don’t think it’s as attractive as it used to be, but in Kamal’s case, he’d pay 20% income tax in Turkey, vs like 50% in Montreal. 

It may be in other sports too- Fenerbahce took Nemanja Bjelica from golden state, who just won the championship, for a very similar salary that he was on st GS. He’s older and perhaps he wanted to be at home, but to leave the NBA before you realistically have to, there has to be a really good offer.

Edited by InglewoodJack

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

A lot big names end up in Turkey.
No way they don`t get paid.

It depends on the clubs. Alot of the clubs in that region(south central europe) get in to financial issues, especially if they don't fill stadiums for every game. So players dont get payed on time. This goes for big clubs as well. Life is more unaffordable there then here. Spot is not a priority.

However it is a good league.

Edited by Vasi

I am surprised nobody remembers or has yet mentioned Tosaint Ricketts not getting paid in Turkey.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2019/06/tosaint-ricketts-canada-interview/

"I signed there with hopes of helping the team and have a good season, but unfortunately Boluspor did not live up to their end of the agreement and they were constantly late with payment of player wages.

One month turned into two months, and two months into three, so it was a battle for wages basically in the end."

He had this problem somewhere else also, maybe Romania?

If you search "Tosaint Ricketts unpaid" you will get lots of other articles mentioning his time with Boluspor.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I am surprised nobody remembers or has yet mentioned Tosaint Ricketts not getting paid in Turkey.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2019/06/tosaint-ricketts-canada-interview/

"I signed there with hopes of helping the team and have a good season, but unfortunately Boluspor did not live up to their end of the agreement and they were constantly late with payment of player wages.

One month turned into two months, and two months into three, so it was a battle for wages basically in the end."

He had this problem somewhere else also, maybe Romania?

If you search "Tosaint Ricketts unpaid" you will get lots of other articles mentioning his time with Boluspor.

Tosaint did indeed have issues with payment during his Romanian stint. If I recall he had a lot of difficulty getting out of that situation, largely due to the lack of any support from the Romanian FA.

Josh Simpson also had issues with payment from his Turkish employers a few years before Tosaint moved there. I believe he was able to get a ruling from FIFA to terminate his contract in the middle of the season and he moved on a free transfer to Switzerland. Sadly he suffered a career ending injury at the end of his first season there.

I think Tosaint was playing in the second division where the team's financial picture may have been less certain but Simpson was in the top tier where you might expect the team revenues to be more stable. Not sure if things have changed much in the ensuing decade.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Forrest is so old school, it's like he's from the 50s. I find it tiring, and apart, he has no knowledge whatsoever. Then he's insulting the intelligence if Atiba by saying that.

Clubs in Turkey, Greece, Balkans, have been known for paying in "different" ways. There's the salary, then other payments come through. Perks if u like. Deals made verbally but for compliance, you may have to chat with the club president to remind him. Yes, there's likely laundering happening. Meaning you may be making more than the signed contract. You don't talk about it for obvious reasons, the deals and under the table stuff benefit you.

I've spoken about Greece with players who'd been in top flight. Serbia too.

Most of my references are from 8-15 years ago. I suspect things are more in the up and up but probably not entirely.

Miller in Turkey, by all means.

Last year there was an article saying there was €25 million unpaid to players in the Greek league over the last ten years.  The players went on strike and season was delayed a couple times I think.  Don't think it is resolved yet.

I remember this as well

https://apnews.com/article/fifa-middle-east-europe-international-soccer-soccer-741b74598a287ec7219a0ba15a42b85f

"A FIFA fund helping players whose salaries were not paid sent $2 million to more than 400 applicants from Greek and Turkish clubs in the first wave of payments, world soccer’s governing body said Wednesday."

May 12, 2021

Forrest out of touch, yes but not completely. 

27 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Last year there was an article saying there was €25 million unpaid to players in the Greek league over the last ten years.  The players went on strike and season was delayed a couple times I think.  Don't think it is resolved yet.

I remember this as well

https://apnews.com/article/fifa-middle-east-europe-international-soccer-soccer-741b74598a287ec7219a0ba15a42b85f

"A FIFA fund helping players whose salaries were not paid sent $2 million to more than 400 applicants from Greek and Turkish clubs in the first wave of payments, world soccer’s governing body said Wednesday."

May 12, 2021

Forrest out of touch, yes but not completely. 

But I just explained part of that, and you ignored me. Players are paid under the table, so if what is said on their contracts is not fulfilled, they have historically not complained because they got paid anyways, and tax free.

Wigan doesn't pay on time either, and they are not the only club in the FA that is faulty--and those reports are even more recent, a month ago. But Forrest's blinders wouldn't allow him to ever recommend not signing for Wigan, he'd laugh it away.

Yes, I admit I dislike his soccer values, because he's biased, is more worried about embellishment than dirty career-ending tackles, has zero knowledge of anything outside his little English experience, and shows cultural prejudice constantly--what he says about Central American teams, if we had any sort of Central American population in Canada listening--that borders on racism.

Edit: I feel freer to comment on Forrest because he is close to my generation, from the same home town, so I know the mentality, which I was steeped in as a kid. And now question. And if you'd asked me 15 years ago who were my Canadian soccer heros, I'd have said Lenarduzzi and Craig Forrest.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Ricketts played for a second division club which is a much different thing than playing for a Turkish giant. It is similar in Russia where stories of late/nonpayment are more common for players playing in the provinces vs those at clubs in Moscow/St Pete. 

on the contrary, a player like Atiba would not have spent the last 8 (?) seasons at Besiktas if they were not paying him properly- he is a good enough player to have other lucrative opportunities in Europe and North America that he could’ve jumped to if that were the case.