Samuel Piette

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Good to see. Piette returning to health will take some minutes away from Kone, but will also ensure that Kone isn't asked as often to fill a role that he isn't suited to.

I agree. Piette isn’t quite like any other mid of ours. I think he can play a role. He’s also added a bit to his game coming forward. I can’t see playing him ‘box to box’ but coming from Spain at first and having been pushed further forward in Montreal has made him a bit more adaptable than some of us might give him credit for. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Piette with one of his best performances  in quite a while. Combined well with Johnston on the right side. Hope he keeps it up. Canada could use another in form mid for Qatar  

Definitely. Looked dangerous going forward, which is not normally something that can be said about Piette when used as a defensive mid. 

• 2 weeks later...

This season Piette has really impressed me with his crossing and passing range. He picked out Quioto with a beautiful pass last night and I’ve seen him put some really great crosses in this season. He’s sitting on 3 assists and could easily have more with some better finishing from his teammates. Now that he’s added this to his game along with his excellent defensive play he’s becoming a pretty complete DM in MLS. 

25 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

This season Piette has really impressed me with his crossing and passing range. He picked out Quioto with a beautiful pass last night and I’ve seen him put some really great crosses in this season. He’s sitting on 3 assists and could easily have more with some better finishing from his teammates. Now that he’s added this to his game along with his excellent defensive play he’s becoming a pretty complete DM in MLS. 

I wonder how much of his improved passing can be attributed to Henry playing him out wide a couple of seasons ago. I don't watch Montreal too often but it seemed that it forced Piette to be more creative with his passing and perhaps helped add a new dimension to his game.

8 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I wonder how much of his improved passing can be attributed to Henry playing him out wide a couple of seasons ago. I don't watch Montreal too often but it seemed that it forced Piette to be more creative with his passing and perhaps helped add a new dimension to his game.

I was actually thinking about the same thing after I posted. IMO He definitely grew in to that role even though it was obvious that DM is his natural position. 

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I see him as an excellent coach down the road (you heard it here first) :)

I'd love to agree, but I see him as too much of a nice guy.  Barring some obvious exceptions, I feel most successful coaches can be real jerks.

4 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

As much as I love Henry as a player, it's perhaps the only positive thing to happen from Henry's rein?