Samuel Piette

I'm rooting for Piette, because he has been solid for Canada in the past. However, the penalty was inexcusable. You give that up against world-class opposition, and you very likely lose the game. 

Now, I think Camacho was mainly responsible for Insigne's second, but Piette should have done better imo. I know it's a lot to ask, but we are talking about WC vs Belgium and not first-round WCQ vs Belize. He needs to be better. Sorry. 

6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'm rooting for Piette, because he has been solid for Canada in the past. However, the penalty was inexcusable. You give that up against world-class opposition, and you very likely lose the game. 

Now, I think Camacho was mainly responsible for Insigne's second, but Piette should have done better imo. I know it's a lot to ask, but we are talking about WC vs Belgium and not first-round WCQ vs Belize. He needs to be better. Sorry. 

You're probably right, but I trust Piette to do a job defensively more than any other midfielder Canada has. He won't play much at Qatar, though, because the other players are better in the other aspects of the game.

34 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

The penalty wasn’t great but no way can he be expected to defend Bernadeschi who was literally able to run circles past players on the pitch with the ball. He had recovered and then Camacho just fucked up so bad.

Insigne, but I agree with your larger point that Camacho was more at fault for that late goal.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The penalty wasn’t great but no way can he be expected to defend Bernadeschi who was literally able to run circles past players on the pitch with the ball. He had recovered and then Camacho just fucked up so bad.

He definitely made an effort, but covering De Bruyne isn't going to be any easier. 

A little bit of a shaky start, but he was immense most of the game, key to stifling TFC attack and part of an impressive 2nd half team performance that completely controlled and rag-dolled TFC.  
If everyone is fit, he’s more of a come-off-the-bench guy… the only concern is he always seems to take time to get into the game.  

Edited by TOcanadafan

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

He definitely made an effort, but covering De Bruyne isn't going to be any easier. 

No chance he's asked to do that for 90 minutes.

If he plays at all in Qatar (unlikely) it will be in the last 5-10 minutes of a game we're winning where he's asked to clog up midfield, break up plays, and commit fouls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone worried about the idea of Sammy seeing the pitch in Qatar should be watching tonight’s CFM game.  He has been a beast.  

If I ever had to walk down a dark alley in a bad part of town and could pick 3 CMNT to have my back, Henry and Piette would be the first two, plus one of Cava or AJ. Anyway, I have faith that Piette will show well enough in the next 5 weeks, the biggest of his whole career.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

If I ever had to walk down a dark alley in a bad part of town and could pick 3 CMNT to have my back, Henry and Piette would be the first two, plus one of Cava or AJ. Anyway, I have faith that Piette will show well enough in the next 5 weeks, the biggest of his whole career.

What no Richie Laryea?