Zachary Brault-Guillard

PhillyCanuck

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am really high on this player but Lyon are still a pretty big club. My best hope is that he can manage to get into a cup game or two before the winter and go out on loan again in the new year. 

Don't think it works like that. I think he can only play once the transfer window reopens. 

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Don't think it works like that. I think he can only play once the transfer window reopens. 

So you're saying he can't play any first team cup minutes with Lyon from now until the new window? Is that because Lyon would of had to submit their squad for the domestic cups? 

Am I right to assume he can still play in the league (not that I expect this)? 

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So you're saying he can't play any first team cup minutes with Lyon from now until the new window? Is that because Lyon would of had to submit their squad for the domestic cups? 

Am I right to assume he can still play in the league (not that I expect this)? 

That's a FIFA player movement rule I think.

@Obinna

1 hour ago, narduch said:

That's a FIFA player movement rule I think

I believe the FIFA rule has to do with the overall registration of a player. The paperwork can only be done within either of the transfer windows if the player is signed to a club (free agents are different). His loan to Montreal was a year loan, which ends in January. He's only able to train at Lyon though. 

@MM3/MM2/MM got it. 

Edited by Shway
I was late, and can't delete on mobile.

Thanks for clarifying guys. 

Training with the Lyon first team is not the worst situation in the world. I hope that is the case, rather than training with the second team.

As for Tabla, he would be fortunate to train with the Barca B team, given his inability to make an impact during his previous loans.

I don't think he'll get any chances to train with the Barca first team as he did before. I could be wrong, but I assume it will be the B players who are actually playing that will get first dibs.

Both players going on loan in the Belgian first division would be great. They both speak French and Belgium is becoming the place to be for Canadians. It is also a realistic level for both, I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Word is that discussions are still ongoing with Lyon, but the roadblock is that they are asking for a lot of money.

I assumed it would be for another loan but seems that Montreal want a purchase.

To be honest I don't mind Lyon slapping a high valuation on Brault-guillard. Part of it surely is them taking advantage of the fact Zachary is a Canadian international and is wanted by a Canadian club, but the other part is that they clearly think a lot of him, which is flattering. If they didn't value him they'd cut him loose for cheap.

He may never get into the Lyon first team, but the fact they are seeking to maximize his transfer price is positive for his reputation.

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Great news if true. He is definitely ready to be a starter at MLS level and Montreal will play a lot games this year (hopefully), so good opportunity for him to develop further and challenge Laryea for the right back spot on the national team.

Hopefully Herdman uses him. I think he can easily pass laryea who can't really defend well at all and with our crappy centrebacks it might be wise to have decent defenders at fullback. 

22 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Hopefully Herdman uses him. I think he can easily pass laryea who can't really defend well at all and with our crappy centrebacks it might be wise to have decent defenders at fullback. 

I more or less agree, though I would put a more positive spin on it and say: Laryea is still learning how to better position himself defensively. His 1 on 1 defending is fine, if not very good.

Davies was the same, but has picked it up fairly quickly at Bayern. Godinho I am not as sure about on the other hand...

As for ZBG, yes not only do I hope Herdman uses him, I expect it. He plays the position in a very mature way and is good on both sides of the ball. 

Next step is to get more games and Montreal is seemingly a good place for him to do just that.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Nice. Two year loan or transfer? 

Big year for him.

It's a permanent transfer. Curious to know what the fee was...

His salary last year was 80 k and transfer fees come with a cap hit and we know he'll be on gam, so I am thinking Montreal paid somewhere between 200 and 400k, but probably closer to the lower end of that.

Edited by Obinna

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's a permanent transfer. Curious to know what the fee was...

His salary last year was 80 k and transfer fees come with a cap hit and we know he'll be on gam, so I am thinking Montreal paid somewhere between 200 and 400k, but probably closer to the lower end of that

https://twitter.com/100_Soccer/status/1220508897821319170?s=20

75k + % of sale is what this says but who knows. Really good deal for the Impact if true.

Also from what i've seen they are still trying to bring back Sagna which is a little concerning 

• 1 month later...

ZBG  started both of Montreal's 2 CCL games against Saprissa and was named Man of the match yesterday. I only watched the last 20 mins and missed the "scintillating" run that he made in the 44' that ended in a very good scoring attempt by Shome, but he was solid defensively during the minutes I watched. Think he has put himself back into the starting RB position for Canada with Cordova.

Its only pre-season but it does not appear that Laryea will beat out Auro for the starting RB with TFC

There is room on the MNT for all of ZBG, Laryea, and Cordova considering the latter two can fill in at left back and we don't have many good left backs (assuming Davies is a midfielder/attacker for us, which isn't necessarily a good assumption). I don't hate Godinho nearly as much as others but there is no reason for him to be called up.

It looks like Henry trusts ZBG. If he can be the regular starter for Montreal that would be great. He has a lot of physical tools and match experience at the professional could go a long way for him.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

ZBG  started both of Montreal's 2 CCL games against Saprissa and was named Man of the match yesterday. I only watched the last 20 mins and missed the "scintillating" run that he made in the 44' that ended in a very good scoring attempt by Shome, but he was solid defensively during the minutes I watched. Think he has put himself back into the starting RB position for Canada with Cordova.

Its only pre-season but it does not appear that Laryea will beat out Auro for the starting RB with TFC

I watched the whole thing and he had more than one good offensive run for sure.  He was strong attacking when that was still part of the game plan and was strong defensively when it became clear that preserving the shut out by parking the bus was the strategy. 

Didn't know he got MOTM, but i certainly don't disagree.  He had a great game and was part of a really solid Canadian contingent fielded by Montreal.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I watched the whole thing and he had more than one good offensive run for sure.  He was strong attacking when that was still part of the game plan and was strong defensively when it became clear that preserving the shut out by parking the bus was the strategy. 

Didn't know he got MOTM, but i certainly don't disagree.  He had a great game and was part of a really solid Canadian contingent fielded by Montreal.

Wasn't it refreshing to see 5 Canadians trusted by a legend to see the match out, it seemed quite a contrast to what Vanney does at TFC (I know a different cast of characters) but instead of the one or two Canadians that may start getting the hook, he added to the Canadian content on the field! It looks like these guys are going to get a fair chance to prove themselves, let's hope they take their chances! I agree with your assessment of ZBG, a solid match, too bad Shome didn't finish the chance ZBG set up!