Michael Petrasso

masster

Petrasso had a fairly average half as did the rest of the team, he played the 1st 35 minutes as a Right Wingback in a 5-3-2, The Owls are clearly a much better team hence the importance of this match for them and MP was not able to get forward a whole lot, he did win the ball well with good tackles and he made a good defensive clearance from a scramble inside the QPR penalty area, he had one errant pass in his own half that never came to anything but could have! He can't be blamed for either of their goals although his positioning maybe could have been better on their 1st! He shifted to  Left Wing in a 4-4-2 for the last 10 minutes of the half, he had a couple of nice touches and made some good runs but not much else! I hope he continues to stay fit and get playing time, he's still only 21!

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Why don't we just start a squad in the Gold Cup that contains every professional player who's made the bench in any league? We can nickname the team the Oprah 11 because YOU GET A START! YOU GET A START! YOU GET A START!

I'm fine with Petrasso not getting called, but at least he's at a club (at a high level by Canadian standards) and actually sees the pitch.

So, I'm assuming Canada has moved past Unattached FC players getting caps. Right?...  

>.>

Edited by Bertuzzi44

11 hours ago, gator said:

Petrasso had a fairly average half as did the rest of the team, he played the 1st 35 minutes as a Right Wingback in a 5-3-2, The Owls are clearly a much better team hence the importance of this match for them and MP was not able to get forward a whole lot, he did win the ball well with good tackles and he made a good defensive clearance from a scramble inside the QPR penalty area, he had one errant pass in his own half that never came to anything but could have! He can't be blamed for either of their goals although his positioning maybe could have been better on their 1st! He shifted to  Left Wing in a 4-4-2 for the last 10 minutes of the half, he had a couple of nice touches and made some good runs but not much else! I hope he continues to stay fit and get playing time, he's still only 21!

I thought at long last, after over 13 years on this board, I had finally found THE @gator post where a period would finally be used instead of an exclamation mark, but to my chagrin, it was a comma.

Damn you, Gator!

(thanks for the recap)

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I wonder how involved Stalteri has been with Petrasso moving to RB? He had a similar evolution through the attacking roles before settling in to be Canada's best at this position.

Apparently he's been training as a FB with QPR since sometime last season after he came back from injury, although I'm sure Paul's influence has helped him adapt to the position at the national team level as well.

Petrasso has been a big surprise in terms of quality at RB.  He has been burned cleanly about once a game but for someone that only recently began playing the position he has done extremely well. I agree with dsqpr above - if after this performance he returns to QPR and doesn't play for the first team he needs to move on.  I can't wait until we have 18 players that are all playing meaningful minutes in MLS quality leagues and above.  And of course when the CPL provides a surprise or 2 each camp we will be in a position to expect results at the GC and making the Hex and World Cup.

On July 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Club Linesman said:

Petrasso has been a big surprise in terms of quality at RB.  He has been burned cleanly about once a game but for someone that only recently began playing the position he has done extremely well. I agree with dsqpr above - if after this performance he returns to QPR and doesn't play for the first team he needs to move on. 

I am very impressed with Petrasso's performances so far. He should just make the move from Midfielder to right back permanent both for Club and Country! Suits him really well 

there's nothing I love more than competition in different positions, having depth is fundamental 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, matty said:

why?

So he can ride the pine in his home town obviously....

18 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

He should sign with TFC after his contract ends with QPR next summer 

I dont think its as easy as just deciding to sign with one of the best clubs in the continent. If Petrasso were to look for a move to MLS, I would want him to join a club where there isnt so much competition for places(not that competition is bad, Michael just needs the least obstructed path to regular first team football). 

Should stay and fight for minutes. Don't think he's too far away. He's becoming a regular for his country in a new position, making him more versitile and injuries seem to be behind him. 

I'd argue he should be closer than ever to breaking through at QPR. It's not like they are improving either, so I think this is the year gets minutes. Fingers crossed.

I've said that Petrasso should move on from QPR for a while now, and a month into the season he has yet to see the 18 in league play, with one short appearance in League Cup, so my thoughts on that haven't changed. Seems his solid performance in Gold Cup didn't move him up the pecking order there.

Petrasso was an every game starter in League One as an 18 year old during his loan spells, and I don't think he's any further along as a 22 year old. Unless he actually gets minutes (and we have 4+ years showing they will be sparse at best when healthy), he needs to move on to a lower level of play where he can see the pitch regularly and improve.