Michael Petrasso

masster

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

I've said that Petrasso should move on from QPR for a while now, and a month into the season he has yet to see the 18 in league play, with one short appearance in League Cup, so my thoughts on that haven't changed. Seems his solid performance in Gold Cup didn't move him up the pecking order there.

Petrasso was an every game starter in League One as an 18 year old during his loan spells, and I don't think he's any further along as a 22 year old. Unless he actually gets minutes (and we have 4+ years showing they will be sparse at best when healthy), he needs to move on to a lower level of play where he can see the pitch regularly and improve. 

I'm in favour of a January loan if he can't improve upon things before xmas.

Progress for me would be him making the 18 on a regular basis. If he's starting for Canada and can't even make the 18 regularly for QPR he really does need to move on.

Next few months will tell us a lot either way, but I do hope and wish and believe he is able to achieve at least a regular spot on the bench.

Agree with both of you 100%.  Petrasso needs to play, as do all of our starting 11.  Training at a higher level is great, but if you never play the game you will not be operating at your peak and therefor you are less effective for Canada.  Petrasso could be supported like Piette and return to MLS.  Garber get another member of the CMNT back to North America, spend some league money. 

Don't watch many Caps games but could he fit there at RWB?  An upgrade from Aird?

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Just so you guys know, Petrasso isn't getting near the QPR first team anytime soon. Manager Ian Holloway obviously doesn't rate him, or his Gold Cup form would have earned him an opportunity. QPR also brought in a winger on loan just before deadline day (Lua Lua from Brighton; who is predominantly a left winger, but obviously can play either side).

Also, Petrasso is not a right back. I watched him very closely in Canada's recent matches and IMHO he cannot play there in the second tier in England because his defending is nowhere close to being good enough. Unless he improves that aspect he will get found out all too often playing there for Canada too (I think he was culpable on Jamaica's opener in the Gold Cup).

He needs to find another club. And decide what position he wants to play. He will not get better kicking his heels in QPR reserves.

I hate to say it but I think you are right with all of that.

I tend to agree with most of what Doug says, I will add though that Petrasso had horrific injuries at the start of the last two seasons which kept him from competing for a spot on the wing while the club was short on quality in that position! I'm not sure if Ollie doesn't rate him, I know assistant manager Marc Bircham does, he plucked him from the TFC Academy to bring him to Loftus Road! It may be time for Petrasso to move on but more importantly he needs to stay healthy and make up for lost time in development, I think he can still become a good player, he has shown glimpses of that getting starts for our National Team!

• 3 months later...

Glad he got that one bench appearance in last month...

I would not mind him at TFC as competition for Hasler, but I see him as a risky move at this point.  He has yet to truly prove himself since leaving TFC.  Until he does, it would almost feel like he is back to the team with his tail between his legs. Personally, I am hoping he can land in League One and eventually earn a starting spot. If he comes back to TFC, it should be to a hero's welcome and not because there was a lack of options on the table.

13 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Glad he got that one bench appearance in last month...

I would not mind him at TFC as competition for Hasler, but I see him as a risky move at this point.  He has yet to truly prove himself since leaving TFC.  Until he does, it would almost feel like he is back to the team with his tail between his legs. Personally, I am hoping he can land in League One and eventually earn a starting spot. If he comes back to TFC, it should be to a hero's welcome and not because there was a lack of options on the table.

For a second I read your League One comment as League 1 Ontario and thought you were really low on his skill set. haha.

Maybe good for both parties as he wasn't in the QPR plans apparently, it's a shame injuries robbed himself of playing time when he was playing a position of need for the team! I thought something was up when he wasn't making the bench or featuring for the U 23's and he is not injure afaik, Bircham brought him to the club so I would hope this will be a good decision for both parties as QPR trim their wage bill and squad size!

TFC should try and bring him in right away. Almost a like-for-like replacement for Edwards, except on the right hand side. However, he can also play, I think as a second striker. I can see him being a creative replacement for Giovinco late in a match. And of course we know he can play as an inverted winger on the left, should TFC switch it up.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Whitecaps could do with another winger. That said, I signed him on fifa for Vancouver in my intial buy all Canadians stint and ended up benching him most of the time. Doesn't well, he should steer clear. 

Petrasso is the opposite of what Robbo likes in his wingers.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

How so? (Limited amount of seeing petrasso here)

There are two and only two types of wingers that Robbo has ever been interested in: "fast, tall and physical" and "can score from 30 yards". The first is a necessity of Robboball, the second takes advantage of the ability of Robbo's forwards/wingers to draw fouls and knock the ball out of the air.

Petrasso isn't fast, isn't tall, can't go shoulder to shoulder with CBs, and can't shoot from distance. His strengths are his agility and short passing.

Garber another chance to bring in a Canadian to MLS and put some money where your mouth is.  Piette worked out very well, lets make Petrasso next.  We need guys like him playing, while pushing the those capable to earn minutes in leagues currently better than MLS into those leagues. 

It would be nice to have a bona fide crew of genuine starters plying their trade in MLS that could get together as a group in non FIFA windows ie Camp Poutine and make use of the down time during the next 3 years to actually make something happen for 2022.

2 hours ago, Areathrasher said:

Grego-Cox, the other player released by QPR today, signed with another club pretty much straight away. 

Perhaps Petrasso has something lined up?

Doing a quick search it seems that Petrasso has literally 5 times more pro experience despite being only 1 year older, for what it's worth.

If not MLS I think he could cut it in league one or SPL. Or I can see him having success in a place like Holland or Belgium.