Ballou Tabla

shermanator

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He is a natural left but plays both, so definitely an opportunity down the right. Bayiha is the only natural RW they have although they can throw Borjan or Lappalainen there too.  

Ahhh okay, maybe just wishful thinking because the thought of a fully developed Ballou playing on the right with our Phonzie on the left sounds deadly

I think re-signing with Montreal on a permanent transfer shows a certain level of maturity. At least that's what I am hoping, so that's how I am reading it. It takes balls to look in the mirror and admit that perhaps you are not as good as you thought you were, or perhaps you are not ready for a top European club yet. Only he knows exactly what realization he had, but it's clear he had one, considering he is taking a (necessary) step backwards in order to take 3 steps forward in the future (hopefully). It would have been easier to go out on another loan and remain in the Barca system, so big respect to him for cutting the cord on his European dreams for now. That must have been difficult for him.

I still believe in this kids potential and I hope he rocks it in Montreal this year.

Edited by Obinna

Could not be happy for this move for him and 100% agree with @obinna massive level of maturity to cut ties with a huge club and hit the reset button on where he is with his career. At the end of the day every single pro athlete will take different paths and have different obstacles.

He reminds me a little bit of a young Adama Traore. Traore was a skinny, athletic, barcalona system, massive expectations, maybe his attitude was mis-interpreted . Everyone thought Traore career was done when Aston Villa cut him and he left Barcelona in 2016.  He revived his young career in the Championship for 2-3 years. Now Traore at 23 is in absolute beast mode for the Wolves in the BPL. I'm not suggesting Tabla put on 50 lbs of muscle and look like a linebacker like Traore nor am I saying he is as good or will ever be as good as him. More just a reflection that you can very well go a few steps back for one big lead forward.

I'm really happy Tabla made this commitment to a fresh start for 2 years at Impact and go from there. I hope he fights for his spot, earns it, becomes an awesome teammate and keeps pushing  for more.

All the best to him.

Edited by apbsmith
typo

I really hope it works out for all!  Leave the past in the past, fresh slate for all. Its a tall order, but I wanna see him challenging for a starting spot with CANMNT. Thats what we expected of him 3-4 years ago. It’ll be difficult to make up for all that lost time and experience. This will be a year long project. No way he walks into the Impacts starting lineup this spring considering how rusty he must be. 

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Best of luck Ballou!  We are all cheering for you.  Well, maybe not the TFC guys...

As a TFC fan I've been cheering, and rooting for him. Even more so now that people are quick to write him off at 20y, but extend it drastically to another I won't name. 

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yes TFC guys are cheering for him too!  I hope Ballou gets a brace against TFC.  With the assists going to Shome and Waterman.  

Woaah woahh woahh..... You've gone to far with that one lol.

TFC vs MTL... Its always f#ck the Limpact! But when they play other teams I'm rooting for the Canadians. My distaste for Americans is deeper than the TO/MTL rivalry. 

3 hours ago, costarg said:

I really hope it works out for all!  Leave the past in the past, fresh slate for all. Its a tall order, but I wanna see him challenging for a starting spot with CANMNT. Thats what we expected of him 3-4 years ago. It’ll be difficult to make up for all that lost time and experience. This will be a year long project. No way he walks into the Impacts starting lineup this spring considering how rusty he must be. 

Ditto. I remember when this board erupted on news that he had committed to Canada...what a day!  If he gets his MOJO back look out. Having a former world class winger who also played on the left flank as your coach should help.

Edited by Kadenge

It feels like Tabla is playing catch up, but let's keep in mind he is the same age as Bair and Schaffleburg, and younger than Tristen Borges.

In his very young career he has already played 30 times for Barca B, arguably one of the best second teams in world football (and they play against men btw - so not exactly reserve football) and 25 times for Montreal in MLS. 

Sprinkle in a handful of Voyageur's Cup games and a few Albacate games in the Spsnish Segunda and you are looking at a young player who is still ahead of his peers in terms of experience.

Edited by Obinna

He was good enough for Barça B so that should be taken for what it is worth. Lots of guys older than him there and only now getting 1st team minutes. They transferred him to a 2nd division team but he did not get minutes. Maybe that was bad luck as he never showed badly. At Impact he was only mediocre. 

For me he hasn't taken his chances and I don't see a clear learning curve. I also think he has some mentality or self esteem questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's only pre-season but that is very good to read. I really hope Tabla can have a break thru season and play with a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove.

I just get the feeling he is really going to thrive under Henry as a coach/mentor in a similar way that Drogba appeared to have a positive influence on him.There are other young Canadians with the Impact, former Barca players,he is back home .... lots of positives for him to get back on his game.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I just get the feeling he is really going to thrive under Henry as a coach/mentor in a similar way that Drogba appeared to have a positive influence on him.There are other young Canadians with the Impact, former Barca players,he is back home .... lots of positives for him to get back on his game.

I'm sorry, what?  "way that Drogba appeared to have a positive influence on him"?  If anything that's the moment his career went off the rails and stagnated.  All his troubles started at exactly that moment.  A few months before he was lighting up highlight reels and people were really starting to talk.  Once Drogba came, all the Ivory Coast talk started along with the rumours about his attitude and arrogance.  I liked Drogba and all, but i don't feel he was a positive influence on Tabla at all.