Ballou Tabla

shermanator

I would love a return to Montreal for him.

I don't think he is going anywhere in the Barca system. We suspected it was too high of a step up and we have been proven right thus far. 

With Champions League games next year, there will be a lot of minutes to go around. I think the Thierry Henry factor could galvanize Tabla too. He's not Drogba, but he's a legendary French speaking attacker who Ballou would respect and be eager to learn from. Henry was once a Barcelona player too, so maybe he can relate to Ballou and help him rediscover his form.

I didnt really think he was going to go far with Barcelona, but I did hope he would take advantage of the superior coaching and enviroment to step his game up (as Davies/David did).  And it sure appears like it went the opposite direction.  And when exactly did he have any great form to return to??  He has played well here and there but only a few flashes to make you think he might develop into something.  He needs to lace his boots up tight and actually show that there is something to this "potential" he showed in years past.  I would hate to see him like Boakai, 22-23 years old and moving down divisions to get minutes.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I didnt really think he was going to go far with Barcelona, but I did hope he would take advantage of the superior coaching and enviroment to step his game up (as Davies/David did).  And it sure appears like it went the opposite direction.  And when exactly did he have any great form to return to??  He has played well here and there but only a few flashes to make you think he might develop into something.  He needs to lace his boots up tight and actually show that there is something to this "potential" he showed in years past.  I would hate to see him like Boakai, 22-23 years old and moving down divisions to get minutes.  

Fortunately he is still very young, even though he's been around for a while, seemingly.

Hopefully he can sign with the Impact and have a good 2020 season, then kick on from there. 

If we are lucky, his Barca experience will just be a footnote and not a defining moment in his career.

26 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I'll never understand what he thinks he achieved to get the attitude/arrogance he has. Ofcourse, i'm assuming the reports of him being arrogant are true. If they aren't I fully apologize to him. 

Thing is, he really isn't arrogant, he's just extremely shy and introverted, which can easily be mistaken for arrogance.  He'll also come off seeming aloof when confronted by a coach for example, but its just a self-preservation thing.  Its really easy to misunderstand introverts.  It'll take someone with a strong human approach to bring out the best in him.   

15 minutes ago, costarg said:

Thing is, he really isn't arrogant, he's just extremely shy and introverted, which can easily be mistaken for arrogance.  He'll also come off seeming aloof when confronted by a coach for example, but its just a self-preservation thing.  Its really easy to misunderstand introverts.  It'll take someone with a strong human approach to bring out the best in him.   

I'm gonna assume you know him personally? 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Like Hanson moving up to div 1 Canadian league? I think ballou could make the step up. :P

22 hours ago, costarg said:

I think we are judging him on skipping practice and trying to force a move to europe in 2017 and seemingly butting heads again with his MLS coach in 2019 both incidents kept him off the field.  And he needs to be on the field showing how good he is for his carer to take off.     

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I think we are judging him on skipping practice and trying to force a move to europe in 2017 and seemingly butting heads again with his MLS coach in 2019 both incidents kept him off the field.  And he needs to be on the field showing how good he is for his carer to take off.     

Ivory Coast was also on his mind during that time and there was talk the he was getting some not-so-good advice from certain individuals.

I still believe he is an outstanding talent, but suspect he bought into his own hype too soon and/or didn't practice the attitude one needs for the very top level. I think that is the extent of his arrogance, if that's what we want to call it. I think it is moreso nativity, but this is just speculation. I don't know him so I am left to guess just like the rest of you.

He just needs to play somewhere. He seems like a good kid but I also refuse to believe that he's gone through multiple teams and multiple coaches and it's only been from misunderstanding his introverted personality and they just didn't get him. He just needs to play and he's only hurting his own career if he doesn't work hard enough to see the field. 

I don't know him personally and I don't want to infer anything but maybe he needs to meet with sports psychologist and work through some things. The talent is there and that always makes it more disappointing.

Look at someone like Bojan of the impact. He dealt with the anxiety and pressure of playing for Barcelona at a young age and being compared with Messi. Refused call ups to Spain because he didn't want to deal with pressure. Moved to many different teams in search of playing time because he felt his talent warranted it only to be pushed out by most. Again I'm no professional and I don't know Ballou but maybe the pressure of being the next big thing, being compared with and given the weight of Drogba and being linked with a bunch of big teams before moving to Barcelona just came at him a little too quick 

• 1 month later...

Canada Soccer mentions Tabla as "unavailable" for Camp Poutine:

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-men-s-national-team-holds-january-camp-p162533

Jeremy Filosa claims that Tabla actually declined to go to Camp Poutine for "personal reasons".

http://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/274916/ou-sen-va-la-carriere-de-ballou

Although I hope Tabla, his health (both mental and physical), and his family and friends are OK, I hope that he isn't just pulling a Will Johnson and that he had a legitimate excuse for not attending. 

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Canada Soccer mentions Tabla as "unavailable" for Camp Poutine:

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-men-s-national-team-holds-january-camp-p162533

Jeremy Filosa claims that Tabla actually declined to go to Camp Poutine for "personal reasons".

http://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/274916/ou-sen-va-la-carriere-de-ballou

Although I hope Tabla, his health (both mental and physical), and his family and friends are OK, I hope that he isn't just pulling a Will Johnson and that he had a legitimate excuse for not attending. 

I am really worried about Tabla's career to be honest. His head doesn't seem to be on right. We all know the story, so I won't rehash it, but I will just wish him well and the best of luck with his career. 

It will be a shame for Canada fans if Ballou doesn't reach his potential, but most of all it would be a shame for him and his family. Talent as great as his is a terrible thing to waste.