Will Johnson (update)

Raven

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think you are, there are still a ton of teams Will could fit in on as a starter.  He's been extremely lucky/unlucky to have been a part of some of the best teams in MLS in the past 7-8 seasons.  I can't name many teams in this league he wouldn't be a starter on once you get past a few impressive midfields.  

You don't think his $400,000 salary is a deterrent?

Don't get me wrong, I like Will and i'm glad he's ours, but I think he's overvalued at that salary. 

That being said, perhaps Orlando would be a good fit. Kries has worked with him before and from what I understand he'd be better value than Nocerino, who's getting paid over $600,000 to be a pylon.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

You don't think his $400,000 salary is a deterrent?

Don't get me wrong, I like Will and i'm glad he's ours, but I think he's overvalued at that salary. 

That being said, perhaps Orlando would be a good fit. Kries has worked with him before and from what I understand he'd be better value than Nocerino, who's getting paid over $600,000 to be a pylon.

He started 19 games this season for one of the best teams in the East, despite missing a lot of time due to injury (and not an "I'm old and brittle" kind of injury, a "I'll break my leg to score this crucial goal, I don't even give a fuck" kind of injury). So he was a starter this year, just not for this short stretch during the playoffs.

I think he can still be a valuable piece for most teams in this league even at his price, including TFC. If he stays with TFC I can totally see him winning a starting spot back. He might already get the start on Wednesday.

I think Johnson can still be an every game starter in MLS for many teams, but his window for doing so is closing quickly. Given his injury history, large cap hit and the fact that he's been dropped by both club and country for various reasons in the last 12 months, I don't think he's as attractive of an option as others might.

If he's already talking about seeing what free agency is about, I don't see him back in Toronto next year. Will Johnson at $200K is a very attractive pickup. Will Johnson at $375K is not.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Blackdude said:

It looks like he's going to Orlando. I'm not surprised that he would leave Toronto. TFC has a deep midfield with Bradley, Osorio, Cooper, Cheyrou and Chapman and there was no way that TFC could offer the same amount as before.

Nuts - So I guess it is Orlando in the final next year.  Knew it would be too good for TFC to repeat 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

A new article on Will Johnson came out today. He says he left because he didn't think he got a fair shot to return after getting injured scoring the winning goal in the Voyageurs Cup. Sounds quite petulant to me. Combine this with his alleged public blow-up with the national team staff, and I'm starting to think he's a bit dramatic.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2017/01/09/ex-tfc-midfielder-will-johnson-left-because-reds-disrespected-him.html

“I was very honest with them,” Johnson said. “I told them that I felt disrespected in terms of getting an injury, sacrificing myself for the group, and then I felt like I never received a fair chance when I got back.”

“Clint (Irwin) got hurt, they didn’t go out and get another goalkeeper. Michael (Bradley) got hurt, they didn’t go get another centre mid. Seba (Giovinco) got hurt, they didn’t go get another striker,” he said.

“For whatever reason, (TFC coach) Greg (Vanney) didn’t give me the same fair shake he gave everybody else who got hurt. And especially the way I got hurt, making the sacrifice for the club, made it an easy decision for me to walk away.”

Johnson said he would have happily sacrificed his starting role if he felt it was done in a respectful way, with the “right conversation” both on and off the field.

Just now, shermanator said:

A new article on Will Johnson came out today. He says he left because he didn't think he got a fair shot to return after getting injured scoring the winning goal in the Voyageurs Cup. Sounds quite petulant to me. Combine this with his alleged public blow-up with the national team staff, and I'm starting to think he's a bit dramatic.

Add to what happened between him and Paulson about his Portland exit. (Don't recall, but remember that there was something there about his exit and that's when he deleted his twitter accont IIRC) 

33 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Add to what happened between him and Paulson about his Portland exit. (Don't recall, but remember that there was something there about his exit and that's when he deleted his twitter accont IIRC) 

I think it was regarding him presuming that he wasn't being invited with the rest of the MLS Cup winning squad to meet Obama. Paulson responded that invites haven't even been sent out yet..

He's not wrong really.  Will was one of our best and most consistent players all season and then he got injured scoring a cup winning goal and dropped?  Any one of us would be upset.  

He was also a big factor in our playoff run, coming off the bench in the away leg at Montreal he was a huge factor in us even still being in that series when we came home.  

Cooper and Osorio both had their moments but really I don't think either was head and shoulders above Will.  It seemed like Vanney wanted to take credit for the mid-season pick up of Cooper and just wouldn't drop him.  

For me personally, I think not starting Will in an MLS cup final wasn't the greatest decision.  If I'm manager and we're playing a battling final in freezing temperatures the first two names on my team sheet are Michael Bradley and Will Johnson.  

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

He's not wrong really.  Will was one of our best and most consistent players all season and then he got injured scoring a cup winning goal and dropped?  Any one of us would be upset. 

While any of us may be upset, what matters is how we deal with it.

Running to another team and taking parting shots at the former team doesn't sit well with me.  Actually it's just the shots, I totally understand going to Orlando.  He could have easily spun this differently but this interview doesn't look great on him.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Running to another team and taking parting shots at the former team doesn't sit well with me.  Actually it's just the shots, I totally understand going to Orlando.  He could have easily spun this differently but this interview doesn't look great on him.

I don't really see it as a shot.  It is what it is, he got on with his job like a pro just like he did last season in Portland.. didn't cause any problems and gave his all.  Respect to him for being honest, nothing he said is wrong.  

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don't really see it as a shot.  It is what it is, he got on with his job like a pro just like he did last season in Portland.. didn't cause any problems and gave his all.  Respect to him for being honest, nothing he said is wrong.  

Seriously?  Bitching because they didn't go out and sign other players when Bradley and Giovinco got hurt and implying that he was unfairly treated.  Maybe if he was as good as he thinks he is, he should've just won his spot back rather than expect to have it gifted back to him.

One instance could be an anomaly, two could be a coincidence, more and you're starting to see a pattern.

I love the guy and I love what he brings to the team, but this article just comes off as sour grapes.

21 hours ago, El Hombre said:

This is what I thought after JDG went to Dallas.

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

What happened after JDG went to Dallas? Did he say something?

He did, but it was directed at Paul Mariner so that was totally okay in my books. Which would be the case if what De Guzman claimed Mariner said about him prior/at the time of the trade was true or not (though given Mariner's comments about other players like Plata who he also got rid of, I am inclined to believe Julian about this).

As for Will Johnson, on the one hand I think he has a point that he never seemed to get his starting job back after he returned from injury - on the other hand, he needs to be realistic about comparing himself to three DP's what the club did when those three got hurt. I feel this comparison makes him look silly because he obviously knows - or ought to know - that teams just can't go and sign additional DP's to replace the DP's when they are hurt, so it's a very silly comparison. It's not like he is head and shoulders better than Cooper though it's a difficult comparison given the different qualities they bring to the table. I always thought that Johnson losing his starting job was more to do with the move to go to a three man-midfield rather than the 4-man diamond. If they stuck with the diamond, Will would continued to have started - Cooper would play on the right (as he did in the three man midfield) and Delgado would be the only person that would lose his starting position (which is another point, does Johnson feel Delgado losing his starting midfield role also has to do with Johnson coming back from injury)? It's notable that Johnson was the go-to guy as the first midfield sub (and did start one playoff game) which indicates to me that he was ahead of Delgado on the pecking order in the midfield and would have continued to start if they hadn't decided (for a whole bunch of reasons) on the formation switch.

In other words, I don't think it's really all about him or being "disrespected" even though I know from his perspective that it would suck to be "benched" upon an injury return after he laid everything out for that cup winning goal on the play.

Cooper Osorio Bradley was a better fit for Toronto. Simple as that. Cooper gives them the right balance. Of the 3, Johnson is most similar to Bradley, and he's not taking his spot obviously. That was always my worry when Johnson came to Toronto. Too much like Bradley. It would be okay if he was okay with coming off the bench or occasional starts depending on opponent match ups, but he wants to start every game. Can't blame him but just shows he's not the right fit with Cooper around. Honestly, Cooper was one of the best moves any MLS team made midseason.

41 minutes ago, kohanz said:

He was asked why he left and he gave an honest answer and then we call those "parting shots"? In *his opinion* he feels he wasn't given a fair shot and that's labeled as "bitching"? Athletes in the media just cannot win.

You gotta have a lot more respect for that than a guy who gives some generic answer and is truly leaving for $$.  

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

No, I don't have to respect that, especially when it comes across as sour grapes and out of touch with reality.

Be a goddamn professional.

Being a professional is getting on with your job and being a member of the team, pretty sure he's always done that with Toronto and Portland even when he was benched.  Not like he was causing problems like Drogba during important matches, the season is over it's okay to be human now (within reason).  

Would it be unprofessional for an executive to say he left his old post because he wasn't playing a big enough role but in the time he was aggrieved got on with his work?  No, so why is it here?  

Edited by Keegan