Will Johnson (update)

Raven

Johnson has made good money in his career. He was always at or near the salary ceiling as far as gam players go. Perhaps he is willing to take a pay cut so that he can play more and take on a new challenge in a new league. He strikes me as the type of guy who always wants to be on the field and not satisfied to simply ride the bench.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Johnson has made good money in his career. He was always at or near the salary ceiling as far as gam players go. Perhaps he is willing to take a pay cut so that he can play more and take on a new challenge in a new league. He strikes me as the type of guy who always wants to be on the field and not satisfied to simply ride the bench.

This might be where a coaching/playing gig comes in handy.  If guys like Edgar and De Jong are in the league then you can't rule out Johnson IMO.  He's probably waiting to see if a MLS offer comes in the next month or so with injuries etc.

Where would he be best fit?  Edmonton, Valour, Atletico and HFX seem to be the teams that could use a Canadian vet at this time.  For Valour especially he would be the perfect replacement for LBG.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

How about going to Ottawa and making 90k to play soccer. Sounds more appealing than doing nothing

Is there anyone in the CPL able to make 90 K with the salary cap restrictions?  Would love to see him in the CPL.

Edited by JamboAl

lol look at us suggesting that taking a (KJ voice) massive paycheck cut to join the CPL is a good option for his career. Ha
I'm sure he'll take a veterans minimum contract in MLS (90k) or go to the USL or coach before he's in the CPL. I just can't see it - nor do I want to. 

Give that contract to two other players trying to make it.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

lol look at us suggesting that taking a (KJ voice) massive paycheck cut to join the CPL is a good option for his career. Ha
I'm sure he'll take a veterans minimum contract in MLS (90k) or go to the USL or coach before he's in the CPL. I just can't see it - nor do I want to. 

Give that contract to two other players trying to make it.

I second that, but if its all the same,  I'd rather see an old CDN vet as opposed to an old foreign player ie Johnson over Gobular.  Hume over Palouci.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I second that, but if its all the same,  I'd rather see an old CDN vet as opposed to an old foreign player ie Johnson over Gobular.  Hume over Palouci.  

I digress, because I 10000000% agree. 
Those veterans know nothing about what it takes to be a professional footballer as a Canadian, andd what it takes to play in Concacaf. 

It's just a money thing though....which I don't think Johnson would be willing like how Edgar was.

40 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Maybe they'll offer him something after his career, like a coaching job. That could make sense no?

Of course, maybe just the attraction of being the first signing of a new franchise.  I wonder though if he is willing to accept 90g, that would be pretty good value for him in MLS.  The 2 expansion teams could use a vet like him for a TINY cap hit.  Even if age means they manage his minutes.  I guess we'll find out ASAP.  But if he goes to Ottawa with Fisk, Aleman, Hamilton, Coupland (all rumors) that would be a nice midfield already.