Will Johnson (update)

Raven

"...And with Johnson’s make-up -- he's a former Canadian national team captain and the Timbers fiery leader and captain since he was acquired from Real Salt Lake before the 2013 season -- there’s never been a question as to how he approaches his rehab. And that’s with full force..."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/02/13/portland-timbers-captain-will-johnson-approaching-rehab-broken-leg

"...And with Johnson’s make-up -- he's a former Canadian national team captain and the Timbers fiery leader and captain since he was acquired from Real Salt Lake before the 2013 season -- there’s never been a question as to how he approaches his rehab. And that’s with full force..."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/02/13/portland-timbers-captain-will-johnson-approaching-rehab-broken-leg

former captain captain almost makes it sound like hes done with the NT... i guess its true hes a former captain seeing he hasn't played in 2 years. But hopefully he gets back integrated into the fold come the Spring. 

It says he's still scheduled to come back late march early april. He would miss the March camp but would  give him plenty of time to be ready for WCQ and Gold cup in June and July. 

Sounds like rehab is going on schedule though, which is good to hear.

The meaning of 'former' captain is up for interpretation, but, reading the article, it focuses on his club. The CanMNT comments were thrown in a couple of paragraphs, and it seemed like an afterthought. I think they were showing his importance, and, since he's not the current captain, went with what they had.

Before the injury, I was hoping to see him with us at some point. He'd gone absent for a while. I do wish him all the best in recovery, and hope he comes back as strong as he ever was.

We have a young squad heading into the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifying. Having his solid veteran presence there will be a big factor for us.

• 1 month later...

This article suggests WJ will be back training in 2-3 weeks and could be in the Portland lineup in early May.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2015/03/portland_timbers_could_be_down.html#incart_related_stories

That's terrific news! I hope he's able to make a full recovery and not have any lingering/recurring issues going forward - especially after what we saw happen to Josh Simpson. Hate to see these types of serious injuries.

• 5 weeks later...

According to the timbers twitter and web page, Johnson is back to full training with the team. He is scheduled to play 50 to 60 minutes with the timbers USL side this saturday in an official league match.

This is terrific news and congrats to will on his recovery from a pretty nasty injury. Also great news for the NT, he should have over a month of playing time for the timbers before june wcq. If he gets back to his old self this will be like having a new class player in the setup as he hasnt featured yet under floro.

Ps. His twitter bio still says "portland timber, team canada"

Here is the article.

http://ow.ly/M2DtY

It's hard not to marvel at modern medicine (for people my age anyways, who remember a more grim reality as a matter-of-fact).  Still think the Gold Cup is a bit ambitous but you never know.  Luv to see the man galloping down the touch line but he's got have (or should have) priorities beyond rushing a return to international football. 

Nice. Sounds like it went well with no setbacks. Looks like he has a bit of a fight to get back into the first team, which can be a good thing as it pushes him to get back to the form he was before the injury. I hope we see him in June WCQ, I think its reasonable that he plays given its still a month and a half away.

I'd rather he regain his form and skip the Gold Cup but be 100% for WCQ. Even if his rehab goes great it takes time to get your game back. The rust might be thick after this long. 

Here's hoping he can do it all but I'll be happy if he can show up for the WCQ matches.

I'd rather he regain his form and skip the Gold Cup but be 100% for WCQ. Even if his rehab goes great it takes time to get your game back. The rust might be thick after this long.

Here's hoping he can do it all but I'll be happy if he can show up for the WCQ matches.

Wcq is before the gold cup though. Unless you mean skip 2nd round wcq and gold cup and show up for third round wcq in september. Id think floro would want to integrate him into the system if healthy though. Hes never once been to a floro camp. Id like to see him in as many camps as possible to learn the system and catch up for a lost 2 yrs.

Also dont forget. Gold cup is extra important this yr because its qualifying for the copa america.

Edited by king1010

Yea I meant the fall matches. I hope he can be there for us for all of it but I'll be happy if he can make the fall games. One month of leagues games to get back to form may not be enough and I'd rather have 100% Will in the fall than 80% now and risk the fall matches.

• 2 weeks later...

From a week ago but Will played his second straight game. Full 90 minute game for T2. Looks like he is very quickly getting back into game shape.

T2 fell at home to Orange County in front of almost 5,000 fans, with Will Johnson playing 90 minutes for the second straight week as he works toward a first-team return.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/04/usl-will-johnson-plays-90-again-timbers-late-wins-sounders-galaxy-red-bulls

"Played the whole game, 90-plus minutes, so that was nice to get under my belt," Johnson said. "I wish the quality would have been a little better, so I'm frustrated from where I am and where I need to get to.

"But I felt good. It's a good step for me," he added.

Johnson said that physically, he felt fine, but added: "I've got to get that consistency going."

Johnson played a role in several chances, a free kick he took in the 60th minute that Blues goalkeeper Pepe Miranda was able to knock away.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2015/05/portland_timbers_midfielder_wi_5.html

Edited by king1010

Will Johnson getting back into his groove. Assisted on T2's game tying goal in the 87th minute last night at real monarchs. (4:45)

http://www.timbers.com/video/2015/05/16/real-monarchs-1-portland-timbers-2-1-usl-match-highlights-51615

He tweeted before the match it was his final tune up match.

Excited to be coming back to my old stomping grounds for my final tune up match. Hope to see some familiar faces at the Riot! @RealSaltLake

Look for him to at least be back on the bench or even the starting line up for the Timbers next match. 

Will be interesting to see if he gets the call up to June WCQ having played 3 USL games and seemingly about to play his first MLS match. 

Will Johnson getting back into his groove. Assisted on T2's game tying goal in the 87th minute last night at real monarchs. (4:45)

http://www.timbers.com/video/2015/05/16/real-monarchs-1-portland-timbers-2-1-usl-match-highlights-51615

He tweeted before the match it was his final tune up match.

Excited to be coming back to my old stomping grounds for my final tune up match. Hope to see some familiar faces at the Riot! @RealSaltLake

Look for him to at least be back on the bench or even the starting line up for the Timbers next match. 

Will be interesting to see if he gets the call up to June WCQ having played 3 USL games and seemingly about to play his first MLS match. 

If I were Floro I would bring him in, just to integrate him into the new system. He's probably our 2nd best mid-fielder so I would get him back in the fold as soon as possible, even if the plan was not to start him.

If I were Floro I would bring him in, just to integrate him into the new system. He's probably our 2nd best mid-fielder so I would get him back in the fold as soon as possible, even if the plan was not to start him.

I feel the same way. He hasn't been to a single Floro camp. Even if he came in to be part of the training sessions to get a feel for what Floro's system is. That way he isn't lost come Gold Cup. 

I don't see how he can be called to any important matches this year if he doesn't come to a camp ASAP.  Floro's system is an adjustment, you don't just pop in and play.