Tesho Akindele

Teal Bunbury has more connections to USA than Canada. How many times has he played for a Canadian club in his youth? (I'm guessing none, but I'm not sure) He's a guy from Minnesota who just happened to be born in Hamilton. Teal Bunbury is more American than Canadian and people on here can't admit it because who his dad is.Canada isn't home for him.

Alex Bunbury gave a great interview with FTBH about his career, and he delves into Teal, where Teal never wanted to play for Canada but was pressured a bit by his dad and his expectations of him to play for us. Eventually Teal talked with his dad and told him he wanted to represent the US. Don't blame him at all, he was raised in the US.

Teal Bunbury has more connections to USA than Canada. How many times has he played for a Canadian club in his youth? (I'm guessing none, but I'm not sure) He's a guy from Minnesota who just happened to be born in Hamilton. Teal Bunbury is more American than Canadian and people on here can't admit it because who his dad is.Canada isn't home for him.

"I was born in Canada and I would love to play for the country I was born in. I think it would be an honour," Bunbury said.

"For me, I was born in Canada, I have a lot of family members there, and it would feel wrong for me to play for the U.S. I feel a connection with Canada."

Teal is scum.

"I was born in Canada and I would love to play for the country I was born in. I think it would be an honour," Bunbury said.

"For me, I was born in Canada, I have a lot of family members there, and it would feel wrong for me to play for the U.S. I feel a connection with Canada."

Teal is scum.

Alex also mentioned that he told Teal he would have to deal with the aftermath of these comments.

My biggest issue with him was playing for our youth teams if his goal was to play for the US, and not stating his intentions from the start

Thats great and all. Then why the hell did he take up spots on our u17 and u20 youth teams. 

If he's a guy from minesota and more american that canadian he shouldve never been taking spots away on our youth teams knowing he'd jump at the first chance the US gave him. 

No.  Bunbury did not choose USA because he felt more American, or because America was "home", or any other personal or sentimental reasons.  He chose USA because he wanted to advance his career by gaining exposure at a World Cup. He wanted to use the World Cup as a springboard to more money.  It was a career move plain and simple.  

"The biggest thing for me is I want to play in a World Cup, bottom line. Every player in the world ultimately wants to play in a World Cup, and the way it’s looking the US has the better chance of making it to the World Cup, to be honest. That’s what really stuck in my mind every time I would contemplate it and that’s ultimately what swayed me" - Bunbury

So no, I don't buy Alex's 'explanation' on the FTBH podcast.  Teal Bunbury is a glory hunting bastard of epic proportions.  He is scum sucking filth.  End of story.     

Thats great and all. Then why the hell did he take up spots on our u17 and u20 youth teams.

If he's a guy from minesota and more american that canadian he shouldve never been taking spots away on our youth teams knowing he'd jump at the first chance the US gave him.

Because he lacks integrity and has a poor character. Teal's priority is Teal.

Marcel de Jong probably feels more Dutch than Canadian and he took up spots on our team by that same token. Fact is that Bunbury was getting looked at by Canada and it wouldn't hurt him. When you have a father like who his father is, you want to follow his footsteps. I'm not saying that I don't buy the Bunbury stuff, but please, let's not say that he has weak ties to the US. That was my point. It doesn't mean that he wasn't a glory hunter at all. I admit it that he was, but please, I was talking about his not so weak connections to the US. That was the point.

Marcel de Jong probably feels more Dutch than Canadian and he took up spots on our team by that same token. Fact is that Bunbury was getting looked at by Canada and it wouldn't hurt him. When you have a father like who his father is, you want to follow his footsteps. I'm not saying that I don't buy the Bunbury stuff, but please, let's not say that he has weak ties to the US. That was my point. It doesn't mean that he wasn't a glory hunter at all. I admit it that he was, but please, I was talking about his not so weak connections to the US. That was the point.

Uh? Marcel de jong had all intentions of playing for our NT and is a full time mnt member and has answerd the call to play for us. He didnt take the spot of a canadian then jump ship.

Not sure how you even compre de jong to bunbury.... One plays for canada proudly. One bailed. If a player is proud and gives his all to represent us then he is worthy of the canadian jersey, marc bircham comes to mind as well. Rather have those players than mercenaries like bunbury or hoilett or judas.

Edited by king1010

Alex Bunbury gave a great interview with FTBH about his career, and he delves into Teal, where Teal never wanted to play for Canada but was pressured a bit by his dad and his expectations of him to play for us. Eventually Teal talked with his dad and told him he wanted to represent the US. Don't blame him at all, he was raised in the US.

Just for reference: http://globalnews.ca/news/172613/alex-bunbury-savours-sons-success-feels-blues-over-unwarranted-shots-at-teal/

Uh? Marcel de jong had all intentions of playing for our NT and is a full time mnt member and has answerd the call to play for us. He didnt take the spot of a canadian then jump ship.

Not sure how you even compre de jong to bunbury.... One plays for canada proudly. One bailed. If a player is proud and gives his all to represent us then he is worthy of the canadian jersey, marc bircham comes to mind as well. Rather have those players than mercenaries like bunbury or hoilett or judas.

If Marcel de Jong was good enough for the Dutch, he would have played for them afterwards. Feeling Canadian vs feeling Dutch isn't about the national team, it's about really where the players have lived IMO and that was my point.I'm not comparing both players' decision, but comparing both players' situation when they accepted calls to Canada.  There were rumours of de Jong playing for the Dutch and he chose Canada because he felt that he could play more international football. Sure one chose to stay in the Canadian program and one left it, but the point is that both had weak ties to Canada.

It's nothing on any player, really, but don't tell me that Marcel de Jong is more Canadian than Dutch because he played for Canada at the international level. The fact that Bunbury bailed on the program doesn't make it lesss a worthy comparaison, because it's not mlike he bailed for a country with weaker ties, and that was my point. Is he a glory hunter? Yes. But it has nothing about feeling more Canadian or otherwise.

The timing of these articles are so predictable.

As soon as there is a CMNT - Akindele link on MLSsoccer.com, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be a follow up that subtly suggests Tesho would be wise to weight out his options (as if to say - don't forget the US son).

In this case, they compare Tesho's situation with Teal's, which is fine - but then in the interview Bunbury expectedly stands by his choice - thus creating a pro-USMNT feel to the article.

I would have liked to see some tough questions that really explore the impacts of his choice, such as:

Q: You have only recieved 4 caps since your debut in 2012. Do you think a career with Canada would have given you a better chance at a more distinguished international career?

Q: The label of a US international is arguably more attractive than a Canadian international due to the varying degrees of success of both programs- yet there are many examples of players that opt to represent smaller nations and go on to have great international careers. Do you view your choice as a gamble that hasn't paid off thus far?

The reality is that career growth is a major factor in decided who to play for - yet there is little focus on that here. The only mention is that the US provides a better shot at the WC. That should come with an astersk reminding readers you only have a chance if you are part of the group (which he is not)

Someone should do the same article with Will Johnson.

Edited by Obinna

• 1 month later...

Because "canmnt" isn't an actual thing. We just use it on Twitter cuz it is easy.

Its a hashtag, a hashtag is a thing, it creates a traceable string on the topic. If its not a "thing" then USMNT isn't a thing either, but MLS hashtags USMNT but not canMNT. Should be both.

Edited by king1010

Its a hashtag, a hashtag is a thing, it creates a traceable string on the topic. If its not a "thing" then USMNT isn't a thing either, but MLS hashtags USMNT but not canMNT. Should be both.\

USMNT is a thing outside Twitter though. I see it used all the time on BigSoccer and the like. I don't really see CanMNT used outside of Twitter all that often. It is usually Les Rouges or just Canada.

USMNT is a thing outside Twitter though. I see it used all the time on BigSoccer and the like. I don't really see CanMNT used outside of Twitter all that often. It is usually Les Rouges or just Canada.

I see canMNT used outside of twitter.

For example the actual mls website uses it often.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/11/06/canmnt-12-mls-players-included-canadas-roster-upcoming-friendly-vs-panama

And the post i was referring to was on twitter whre they didnt use #canMNT and where hashtags are most used. Just saying, would be nice if mls twitter treated canadian soccer in the same way.

Edited by king1010