Tesho Akindele

I thought Occean was good when called upon last cycle but obviously our system wasn't getting him the ball in spots where he needed it. I do think he bailed on the team though in Panama (pulled out with a knock but I believe played next weekend in Germany) and his sending off against Cuba was ridiculous.

Don't underestimate how important Occean's winning goal against Cuba was to our campaign at the time, perfect example of a striker taking his chance.  

100% 

Sounds like he'll make a decision by the summer, and if the US isn't calling him, then it is obvious.

Yup, basically saying "if the USA calls me during the Gold Cup, I'll go.  If not Canada is the choice."

I'm sure he doesn't want to rule himself out of the USA just yet with his decent start to the season.  If guys like Charlie Davies and Robbie Findley could win a handful of caps he isn't THAT far off.

Edited by Keegan

Yup, basically saying "if the USA calls me during the Gold Cup, I'll go.  If not Canada is the choice."

I'm sure he doesn't want to rule himself out of the USA just yet with his decent start to the season.  If guys like Charlie Davies and Robbie Findley could win a handful of caps he isn't THAT far off.

We forget the perspective that US and Canada compete for the same spots in the World Cup.  Put him on their bench simply so we don't have him.  If I was the US, I'd probably do it.  With the increased quality of CONCACAF sides (CR, HON, PAN), they surely don't want yet another team giving them a threat to their throne.

We forget the perspective that US and Canada compete for the same spots in the World Cup.  Put him on their bench simply so we don't have him.  If I was the US, I'd probably do it.  With the increased quality of CONCACAF sides (CR, HON, PAN), they surely don't want yet another team giving them a threat to their throne.

But they aren't going to use up a Gold Cup spot on him just to keep him from us.  He's not that a big of a player and we're not that big of a threat.

Charlie Davies was on a good upward trajectory before his injury derailed him. Not fair to lump him in with Findley.

But they aren't going to use up a Gold Cup spot on him just to keep him from us.  He's not that a big of a player and we're not that big of a threat.

The US already have a place in the "playoff", I don't think this tournament is a big deal to them. 

The US already have a place in the "playoff", I don't think this tournament is a big deal to them. 

Of course it's a big deal, it's our continental competition and they're host.  They're not going to cap-tie some guy they'll never play again they're not as desperate as us.  If they win there is no playoff and they are in a race for all-time Gold Cup titles with Mexico.  

I think he's basically saying he's going to be playing for Canada. I see the fact he sets the Gold Cup as the date is even more proof. There's no point in him admitting right now he's playing for Canada as, he plays in an American market, so there's no reward to saying "I pick Canada"...but saying "I'll announce before the Gold Cup" basically means he expects to be playing in the gold cup.

Aguedelo, Zardes, Morris, those are just three players off the top of my head who are higher on the depth chart for the US and younger than Tesho. Even if the US brought a less than A team to the Gold Cup he's not the top of their developmental considerations.

Well they are gonna want to win it. If they win no playoff is required, right?

I am split on whether or not I think they will purposely cap tie him. On the surface JK seems to focus on what will be best for Tesho, inviting him in to have a look without any big pressure to commit. I suppose he's hoping that approach plays on Akindele's heart strings when it's decision time.

Then on the other side, nobody knows if that was what was said behind closed doors (a cynical view - but valid thought).

Also, another side of this is that if Tesho is in great form JK might feel justified to call him into GC, rather than someone like Zardes (who's started slow). That way he can really put the ball in Akindele's court.

That being said, if the USA really had a firm interest, they'd keep in contact you'd imagine. Strange because JK said he didn't look out of place in January - but again, he could be saying one thing and thinking another.

Yet another interesting thing to consider is that he said he just doesn't know about the US after going into camp. That might be interpreted as: The level here is too high and the gamble is perhaps too big with the USMNT. Canada is the safe option and I believe feeling Canadian or American is irrelavent in this case. Should the USA GC call comes, I think he will really have a tough decision, but if not it will reconfirm where they think he is in the pecking order, and he'll choose Canada.

I think the biggest factor is how he plays from now until then. His form also hinges on FCD, and if TFC beat them they will likely start slumping with their injuries and 3-game losing streak.

I agree with the assessment that while the door isn't completely closed for USA, he lives in a US market and has little incentive (yet) to declare while he's playing well.  If he were at TFC or Montreal or the Caps, the announcement would be bigger news.  Announcing for Canada whilst in Dallas is a big non-story.

I think he's basically saying he's going to be playing for Canada. I see the fact he sets the Gold Cup as the date is even more proof. There's no point in him admitting right now he's playing for Canada as, he plays in an American market, so there's no reward to saying "I pick Canada"...but saying "I'll announce before the Gold Cup" basically means he expects to be playing in the gold cup.

Aguedelo, Zardes, Morris, those are just three players off the top of my head who are higher on the depth chart for the US and younger than Tesho. Even if the US brought a less than A team to the Gold Cup he's not the top of their developmental considerations.

This is exactly how I interpreted his words as well. Unless he starts an unreal goalscoring spree right now, there's no way he'll be playing at the Gold Cup for the US this summer. 

If I was the U.S. I would cap tie him. Hopefully they don't, he'll be a big pickup for Canada.

This is just it for me; the US has a cap-tie now, ask questions later policy, no? I read his comments as playing chicken in a roundabout way with JK and crew. As in, please cap me, I'd rather play for you. I don't think Floro calling him a boy who made a mistake (well before being captied) puts us in any better position to grab him either, tbh, although I do generally love his own unique cock now, ask questions later style.

I'm starting to think that we have our first REAL "manager" and that this is all head games.  I'm sure Floro has talked to Akindele quite a bit and probably dangled Canada in front of Tesho saying "decide now or this is gone", forcing Tesho to make a semi-commitment in order to buy himself some time (until Gold Cup).  Floro being a G ran with this to the press and threw out a ridiculous "99.9%" chance that Tesho would play for us, there is no way he could legitimately say that unless Tesho was on a plane to play for us.  

By throwing out the 99.9% number to the press, Floro has put the pressure on Akindele.  Either play for Canada or risk earning a few meaningless caps with the USMNT and being vilified as the next Teal Bunbury for the rest of your career because in the eyes of Canada supporters he has now made a commitment through Floro's words (even though we will never know what Floro and Akindele talked about). 

Edited by Keegan

^ This was my first thought as well. It seems consistent in that if Floro is playing hardball with Tesho that seems similar to me in an odd way to him playing hardball with Teibert (different issue, which we may not ever know, but same managerial style--create a lot of pressure for a player in a way that tests their character. If they pass the test, it's a guy you want and one you're willing to invest time in. If not, you move on. Whatever he did with Teibert I think helped RT grow a lot in the last year. Not to take anything away from Robbo.)

Edited by shorty

Who are all these players that the US has maliciously cap-tied?

Everyone not good enough to play for germany. Bunbury. Some scandanavian players. Bunch of mexican dual nationals. William yarbough. Mix diskerud. Julian green. Tim chandler. Jermaine jones. Fabian johnson. Alfredo morales. Danny williams. Marco pelosi

Aaron johanson. Terrence boyd.

Usa is basically germany B

Edited by king1010

Julian Green and Jermaine Jones both scored for the USA in the World Cup. That's not exactly an example of "malicious" cap-tying.

Diskerud, Johansson, Boyd and Johnson are all USMNT regulars, as Chandler would be if he stops turning down invites from Klinsmann.

In other words: The vast majority of your examples are not maliciously cap-tied.

Julian Green and Jermaine Jones both scored for the USA in the World Cup. That's not exactly an example of "malicious" cap-tying.

Diskerud, Johansson, Boyd and Johnson are all USMNT regulars, as Chandler would be if he stops turning down invites from Klinsmann.

In other words: The vast majority of your examples are not maliciously cap-tied.

You are correct. It is, however, pretty cynical to build a team made up in large part of guys who haven't lived a day in the country.

You are correct. It is, however, pretty cynical to build a team made up in large part of guys who haven't lived a day in the country.

By maliciously cap tied I meant players who had very loose connections to the USA.

Of course they're going to play players of quality as those mentioned. Thing is some of them barely have a tie to the USA and the US just poached them from their original youth NT or country where they have the strongest connection to. 

By maliciously cap tied I meant players who had very loose connections to the USA.

Of course they're going to play players of quality as those mentioned. Thing is some of them barely have a tie to the USA and the US just poached them from their original youth NT or country where they have the strongest connection to.

I think by maliciously cap tied, you mean teal bunbury. He has loose connections to the USA program and is coming off a season where he was very influential in his teams cup final run. But received no attention at camp cupcake.

I thinks It's malicious when another national team can use the player that will only get no more than 3 caps.

I think by maliciously cap tied, you mean teal bunbury. He has loose connections to the USA program and is coming off a season where he was very influential in his teams cup final run. But received no attention at camp cupcake.

Teal Bunbury has more connections to USA than Canada. How many times has he played for a Canadian club in his youth? (I'm guessing none, but I'm not sure) He's a guy from Minnesota who just happened to be born in Hamilton. Teal Bunbury is more American than Canadian and people on here can't admit it because who his dad is.Canada isn't home for him.