Tesho Akindele

If this happens I will be happy With the emergence of Larin I think we could have a decent attack come Gold Cup time I am not saying that these guys are the next Gerd Muller or Paolo Rossi but it will be a huge upgrade. Now lets see about Cavalini, I like to know what his problem is. Now lets try to get Finlay and Arfield to commit. Hoilett who cares... Oh I forgot about Ricketts he along with Larin And Akindele provide some Depth we have not had in a While..

Whats with wanting all those players except hoilett?

Tesho,Pledge your allegiance to us or forget about us., #GoldCup15 #COPA16

Canada's time is now!

I'll say this.

If this is true, this is massive on so many levels. If he turns out to be shit, I don't care. For me it's the mere fact that he choose Canada over the piece of shit USA who want to just cap tie people for the hell of it. This is monumental, and revolutionary in terms of Canadian soccer.

Next up, we'll take:

Hoilett

Vitoria

Arfield

Finlay

In that order.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

I don't see Akindele's decision having any sway on any other player.  Those other guys didn't want to play for us before they even knew who Akindele was... what did this change?  Every situation for the other players remains the same.. winning/media attention/sponsorships is the only thing that would change the minds of any of these players

I read that media also asked him about other players. I saw the stuff about Junior, but did Floro go into detail about guts like Cavallini or Aird?

He didn't talk about aird or cavallini specifically.

The audio from the press conference is available on the two solitudes podcast

Keegan, this absolutely could sway some of the other fence sitters.  This first reason you listed why they haven't committed is winning.  They could look at Akindele's commitment to the MNT as being one man closer to winning and think if they join they are even that much closer.   I  have said it for years now.   We just need one good player to choose Canada over another nation(turning down the USA is just icing on the cake) and hope it causes the ripple effect.   Here's hoping for some ripples.   Cheers.

This 'Occean shouldn't even be on the radar' arguement makes no sense whataoever.

First of all, he is still only 34. He is not dead. Many internationals play past that age. I'm pretty sure Blas Perez is close to that age. Carlos Ruiz is like a 100 years old. Age is only a number guys - if you're good enough, you're young enough.

So is he still good enough? Well if you assume he's not because he's been in club limbo, and thus declare he shouldn't be on radar, you're jumping the gun.

His lack of game action over the past few seasons doesn't matter one bit if he starts putting the ball in the back of the net for Odd, now does it?

Btw - they've finished high up the table in recent years (3rd last season I believe), so even if he struggles to find the net, playing for a top team in Norway demands a closer look in itself.

The ironic thing is, I can gaurentee the same people who say Occean should be done with the NT support Cyle Larin's selection - yet they both offer the same attributes. Size, strength, mobility, ball control, finishing in the box, etc. If both are scoring at similar levels (MLS and Norway), I fail to see why both shouldn't be monitoredby Floro.

So someone please tell me - why are we so quick to throw Occean into the trash heap?

If he can't see the field at Odd, then we can start to discuss whether or not we should move on. Remember, struggling to see the field in Norway is a lot different than struggling to see the field with FCK or Eintracht Frankfurt.

Keegan, this absolutely could sway some of the other fence sitters.  This first reason you listed why they haven't committed is winning.  They could look at Akindele's commitment to the MNT as being one man closer to winning and think if they join they are even that much closer.   I  have said it for years now.   We just need one good player to choose Canada over another nation(turning down the USA is just icing on the cake) and hope it causes the ripple effect.   Here's hoping for some ripples.   Cheers.

I agree with one good player joining us an changing the game.. but Akindele isn't a big player.  He is a 23 yrd old 2nd year pro for FC Dallas, not a 20 year old starter on a Premier League club.  If these fence sitters didn't commit with higher quality players like Hutchinson, JDG, De Rosario etc. why would they commit with a guy like Akindele?

Borjan turned down Serbia to join us... Aleman turned down Costa Rica to join us.  I would say both are more valuable to our pool/winning than Akindele and neither changed the ideas of fence sitters.  Fence sitters are fence sitters because they have their own unique perspective/situations and they were fence sitters long before Akindele was a fence sitter.

So someone please tell me - why are we so quick to throw Occean into the trash heap?

If he can't see the field at Odd, then we can start to discuss whether or not we should move on. Remember, struggling to see the field in Norway is a lot different than struggling to see the field with FCK or Eintracht Frankfurt.

Fair enough. If he plays regularly, we'll revisit this. IMO, age should matter if you look at all the other check boxes:

- Do we have other strikers who are playing regularly? Yes.

- Are they in form? Yes.

- Can any of them play in a 4-4-2? Yes.

- Can any of them play in a 4-5-1? Probably.

- Are any of them better, right now, than Occean? Yes.

As for Perez and Carlos Ruiz, Perez and Occean are not even in the same class, internationally. Ruiz is still playing because he's actually in form, playing regularly and there's no one else on Guatemala who's better.

Edited by adrenaline

Keegan, you are correct but Akindele is the name right now.  This could be the turning point.  Hopeful or maybe over optimistic but I am trying to look at the good in this and hope the fence sitters look at it the same way. Although Hoilett's form has not been the same as a couple years ago he could still help our squad and Akindele committing could make him think we are more promising than Jamaica.  Like Vince said, small victories.  One player at a time.   

Floro has not called Occean the whole time he's been in charge.  Clear sign he has no intention of using him.  Occean had his strengths, but the future is now, we have to move on.  Occean was not good enough in his prime to get us to the next level, nevermind now.  We can't keep trying the same thing and expect different results.   

I can only hope that Akindele, Larin and hopefully by next year Hamilton prove to be better than Haber, Ricketts and Jackson.  

Floro has not called Occean the whole time he's been in charge.  Clear sign he has no intention of using him.  Occean had his strengths, but the future is now, we have to move on.  Occean was not good enough in his prime to get us to the next level, nevermind now.  We can't keep trying the same thing and expect different results.   

I can only hope that Akindele, Larin and hopefully by next year Hamilton prove to be better than Haber, Ricketts and Jackson.

Ocean was not the reason we didn't make it to the wc last time around. He was scoring a fury of goals in Germany, so god knows that would have helped. He was playing descent for us and was actually a big help..... But too bad he got that suspension

@Brennenfan

We don't know for sure if Floro has no intention of using Occean. That is an assumption by you - not a clear indication.

Just because he hasn't called him yet doesn't mean he won't. All it takes is for him to start scoring goals with Odd and considering his pre-season form, there is a high possibility he'll score quite a bit in the coming months.

So you say Occean wasn't good enough to get us to the next level? What is the next level exactly? The Hex? The World Cup?

And why are you singling out Occean for this failure. Hutchinson wasn't good enough to get us to the next level, should we move on from him as well?

I'm not saying Occean is as valuable as Hutchinson, but Occean was a very good player for us last cycle. He gave us some great hold up play and created several chances for himself. Don't you recall how much he was missed after his (bonehead) suspension?

That being said, in terms of importance, the past (and the future) pale in comparison to the present. So - if Occean is doing better at Odd than Larin is doing at Orlando or Haber is doing at Crew Alexandria, i'm certain that is who will lead the line for us.

Edited by Obinna

Floro has not called Occean the whole time he's been in charge. Clear sign he has no intention of using him. Occean had his strengths, but the future is now, we have to move on. Occean was not good enough in his prime to get us to the next level, nevermind now. We can't keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

Hold on here. Isn't occean suspended? He can't play for us until the gold cup anyway. (6 game suspension that he got against cuba at bmo) Maybe floro does rate him very highly we just wouldn't know.

I thought Occean was good when called upon last cycle but obviously our system wasn't getting him the ball in spots where he needed it. I do think he bailed on the team though in Panama (pulled out with a knock but I believe played next weekend in Germany) and his sending off against Cuba was ridiculous.

Don't underestimate how important Occean's winning goal against Cuba was to our campaign at the time, perfect example of a striker taking his chance.  

Edited by Keegan

Floro has not called Occean the whole time he's been in charge. Clear sign he has no intention of using him. Occean had his strengths, but the future is now, we have to move on. Occean was not good enough in his prime to get us to the next level, nevermind now. We can't keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

Or a clear sign that hes still suspended for the next two games that really matter. And a clear sign that he wasnt playing in germany which he now is in norway

Also the heck? "Occean wasnt good enough in his prime" you can spin that the same way with de guzman stalteri hutchinson radzisnki. That argument makes no sense. The team wasnt good enough collectively(coach included) not just occean. If hes playing and scoring in norway he gets a call up. Age doesnt mean anything when it comes to wcq. Its about whose playing the best right now and can get us a win.

Lol the future isnt now. The future is in the future when those younger players prove they can help us win(if its now even better, but u dont discount one plyr bc hes old but include others bc theyre young) Whats right now is the present and how theyre playing now. Every player including occean larin hamilton akindele should get a chance based on their recent performances to secure a spot on the wcq and gold cup rosters.

Edited by king1010