Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

Samuel Piette fits the exact same description. He also earned is lot of criticism but once he got his game together (like Osorio this year), the praise started coming. 

Remi Garde did say that Piette should play I'm Europe. He should have stayed in Spain 

I'd like someone to post the sources for Osorio interest in Mexico, or Champions League teams in Europe. I have not seen them, and am interested if they exist, or are just pure imaginings from the hype machine. 

Otherwise, just re-sign him, pay him a bit more, and end of conversation, a good MLS mid who has discovered a knack for goals. Sort of like Will Johnson?

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd like someone to post the sources for Osorio interest in Mexico, or Champions League teams in Europe. I have not seen them, and am interested if they exist, or are just pure imaginings from the hype machine. 

Otherwise, just re-sign him, pay him a bit more, and end of conversation, a good MLS mid who has discovered a knack for goals. Sort of like Will Johnson?

I don't need a link to believe the interest from Mexico and I wasnt surprised by the interest from liga mx clubs.  The CCL,  was very well covered and followed down there.  Better followed than in canada.   He won the golden boot in that tournament.  It would seem only logical that there would be interest.  Why wouldn't there be?

Edited by Free kick

There was a note in the Sun by Larson that teams from Mexico and Germany were looking at him but no specifics.

Toronto wants to re sign him but he’s underpaid at $200k and he’s up for renewal.  If a team in Europe is watching and can get him on a free then he would be a steal.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-midfielder-jonathan-osorio-attracting-transfer-bids-interest-in-germany

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

He's fine in MLS.

At 22 it was time play at a better level.

Lots of time for him to go back if he wants.

Wasn't he playing in the fourth division in Spain?   Where are you going to go from there?  You have to wonder about hiring these type of coaches in MLS.  If he (Remi Garde) has that low an opinion of the league and competition that he is coaching,  then what is he doing here. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I don't need a link to believe the interest from Mexico and I wasnt surprised by the interest from liga mx clubs.  The CCL,  was very well covered and followed down there.  Better followed than in canada.   He won the golden boot in that tournament.  It would seem only logical that there would be interest.  Why wouldn't there be?

Wow, and people on this board criticized Turkish sources for being speculative and unreliable. Turns out GTA is a veritable flat earth society in comparison.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

There was a note in the Sun by Larson that teams from Mexico and Germany were looking at him but no specifics.

Toronto wants to re sign him but he’s underpaid at $200k and he’s up for renewal.  If a team in Europe is watching and can get him on a free then he would be a steal.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-midfielder-jonathan-osorio-attracting-transfer-bids-interest-in-germany

Oh, well, Larson in the Sun. Osorio probably already has his bags packed!!

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Remi Garde did say that Piette should play I'm Europe. He should have stayed in Spain 

If he'd gotten an offer to move from 3rd to 2nd division, I think he would have. But he was on a modest team and the drop off from 2nd to 3rd is too big, in quality of play, but also salary. 

If we had a NT full of players in Championship, Series B, Bundesliga 2 and 2nd division Spain, we'd be the best team in Concacaf.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we had a NT full of players in Championship, Series B, Bundesliga 2 and 2nd division Spain, we'd be the best team in Concacaf.

Way too general a statement.  We have already had exactly that and never got out of the CONCACAF semi final stage.  Go check the CMNT's from the last decade.  Especially the 2000-2005 squads.  

Edit:  come to think of it.  When have we not had a squad made of players coming from locales that you described. 

Edited by Free kick

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Way too general a statement.  We have already had exactly that and never got out of the CONCACAF semi final stage.  Go check the CMNT's from the last decade.  Especially the 2000-2005 squads.  

Edit:  come to think of it.  When have we not had a squad made of players coming from locales that you described. 

First, you "go check". Next, by "locales" you are referring to Segunda in Spain, and Serie B, just for example?

I was talking with my son yesterday, who is not much of a "supporter", he is more analytical, he sat up high and watched the game. We agreed, the overall level of play was at times lower than 2nd division Spain, he was actually shocked how bad some of the controls and passing decisions were, the positional play.

For him, the best  players on the field were no 31 Caps, the bald guy for Toronto, and that tiny striker for the Caps.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

He's fine in MLS.

At 22 it was time play at a better level.

Lots of time for him to go back if he wants.

Disagree. He had offers from La Liga 2 and other Euro leagues on the table. Coming home must have been a huge factor as he left Quebec as a teenager. Money must have helped too but I maintain that he should have taken La Liga 2 contract and keep developing there.

For me, Piette in MLS was a mistake and his coach is saying that he should be starting in Europe. 

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If true, he shouldn't resign and go to Mexico or Europe. He'll never get his true worth at TFC with the numbers he put up this years. He must already know that.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, you "go check". Next, by "locales" you are referring to Segunda in Spain, and Serie B, just for example?

I was talking with my son yesterday, who is not much of a "supporter", he is more analytical, he sat up high and watched the game. We agreed, the overall level of play was at times lower than 2nd division Spain, he was actually shocked how bad some of the controls and passing decisions were, the positional play.

For him, the best  players on the field were no 31 Caps, the bald guy for Toronto, and that tiny striker for the Caps.

Guess Davies was shit too....your son should be a scout with his great analytical perspective. 

I think his son was fair to recognize that Teibert and Reyna were top Vancouver players on the night, and that Davies didn't have his best match. His decision making wasn't as good as it often is, choosing an individual effort over a pass to release a player in space a few times too many. Davies was still among the top 4 or 5 players for Vancouver.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I think his son was fair to recognize that Teibert and Reyna were top Vancouver players on the night, and that Davies didn't have his best match. His decision making wasn't as good as it often is, choosing an individual effort over a pass to release a player in space a few times too many. Davies was still among the top 4 or 5 players for Vancouver.

I think that a lot of people are missing the real reason why Bayern Munich paid a record transfer for MLS to get Davies.  Its because of his immence "Potential".  He has had many nights in MLS like you are describing.  But at the same, he can score the kind goal or do the kind of play that maybe No one else in MLS can do, or few others.  But he only does it occasion.   They are getting him for what he will be able to do in one or two years based on his current progression and rare abilities and when that consistency is established.  

Right now, there are many better players in MLS than Davies,. You could argue that there are better players on whitecaps right now.  But A club like bayern wouldn't pay 20 mil for any of those players that are right now better than Davies.   But in one or two years time, it will be totally different and would he likely be the best player in MLS.  And thats what Bayern is banking on.  

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

here's one from Molinaro:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-must-make-re-signing-osorio-top-priority/

Here's one from the MLS website:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/09/jonathan-osorio-continues-career-year-uncertain-future

Both pretty reliable sources.

EDIT: These speak to euro and mexican teams but nothing about specifically champs league teams.

Edited by lazlo_80

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Disagree. He had offers from La Liga 2 and other Euro leagues on the table. Coming home must have been a huge factor as he left Quebec as a teenager. Money must have helped too but I maintain that he should have taken La Liga 2 contract and keep developing there.

For me, Piette in MLS was a mistake and his coach is saying that he should be starting in Europe. 

I know about the offers. Some in Segunda, Belgium etc. Who's to say how it would have turned out...

What we do know is that Piette is getting a lot of plaudits for his play in MLS. We can see now that many people are talking about him as one of the best defensive midfielders in the league, who teams have to plan around and prepare for.

Considering that, we must consider his MLS career thus far to be a resounding success, no?

As for his motivation behind coming back, I am sure the appeal of playing in his hometown was the deciding factor, but let's not kid ourselves, that decision wouldn't have been made if the league wasn't a good level where he can get better. And he is getting better before our very eyes, so it was clearly the right choice. I very much doubt he regrets it.

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Guess Davies was shit too....your son should be a scout with his great analytical perspective. 

Davies was not that good last night, he missed basic controls, ran lightning fast into nowhere land, was ineffective overall. He was very similar to how he was last year, or even the year before.

Any kid who has played fairly decent level u-19 in Europe will be chewed out for not being able to bring down a ball and control, which is what Davies failed to do about 4 times in the first half last night. If he does that at Bayern, he'll be benched.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

He had no offers from Liga 2, and no offers from elsewhere in Europe. Or at least, there is zero evidence of this. The sporting press in Europe is voracious, any rumour is picked up, whether at Eulen or Salzburg or Cadiz, I assure you. There was nothing. I read the Spanish sports press daily, and have for three decades, online and on paper.

There are massive pages over the summer with every team, every new signing, every player dropped, rumoured to sign, even down to fifth tier. (here is a page for the division one BELOW where Sam was, in the Navarra region, for this summer, new signings, and then rumours for all 20 teams. Imagine a division higher, or La Liga 2: https://futbolme.com/resultados-directo/torneo/tercera-division---grupo-15/21/33&modelo=Fichajes

So stop repeating this nonsense.

All there was, so you understand, was his agent spreading stuff to the Canadian press, who are ignorant and research nothing, so that he could garner a better contract deal. Because he was probably making less than 35k euros a year at Izarra, that's a very modest team and the stadium rarely gets more than 1500 fans.

BTW, De Guzmán did not have a single firm offer either, but convinced TFC to pay him over a million to be competive with some phantasmagorical spectral club too.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

23 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

here's one from Molinaro:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toronto-fc-must-make-re-signing-osorio-top-priority/

Here's one from the MLS website:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/09/jonathan-osorio-continues-career-year-uncertain-future

Both pretty reliable sources.

EDIT: These speak to euro and mexican teams but nothing about specifically champs league teams.

Neither of those sources are at all reliable if you cannot cite a single article from Mexico, or Germany, or Belgium, or Austria, or Turkey....They are just made up, most likely fed to the respective journalists by Beswicks Sports Ltd, whose highest value player, acc. Transfermarkt, is Jack Butland at Stoke.