Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

50 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I think that a lot of people are missing the real reason why Bayern Munich paid a record transfer for MLS to get Davies.  Its because of his immence "Potential".  He has had many nights in MLS like you are describing.  But at the same, he can score the kind goal or do the kind of play that maybe No one else in MLS can do, or few others.  But he only does it occasion.   They are getting him for what he will be able to do in one or two years based on his current progression and rare abilities and when that consistency is established.  

Right now, there are many better players in MLS than Davies,. You could argue that there are better players on whitecaps right now.  But A club like bayern wouldn't pay 20 mil for any of those players that are right now better than Davies.   But in one or two years time, it will be totally different and would he likely be the best player in MLS.  And thats what Bayern is banking on.  

Yordy Reyna, as we stand now, is a far superior footballer to Davies. He is miles ahead in most facets of the game. But as you say, he is not going to garner interest from Europe at his age. BTW he transfered to Salzburg at age 19 from Peru, and that was his European apex.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Considering that, we must consider his MLS career thus far to be a resounding success, no?

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

that decision wouldn't have been made if the league wasn't a good level where he can get better.

He has a successful career in MLS but I still wish for him to be challenged in Europe to see much better he can get.

Money definately played a role too. He wasn't earning that much in Spain 

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, you "go check". Next, by "locales" you are referring to Segunda in Spain, and Serie B, just for example?

I was talking with my son yesterday, who is not much of a "supporter", he is more analytical, he sat up high and watched the game. We agreed, the overall level of play was at times lower than 2nd division Spain, he was actually shocked how bad some of the controls and passing decisions were, the positional play.

For him, the best  players on the field were no 31 Caps, the bald guy for Toronto, and that tiny striker for the Caps.

That game was poor by MLS standards mind you, with atypically poor ball control by a number of players (including Davies) and several embarrassing gaffes that you don't see on a weekly basis in MLS and "at times" probably would be lower than 4th Division Spain never mind the 2nd division. Some of that might be put down to tiredness from both teams flying across a continent between weekend and mid-week games, something that I will go out on a limb and guess is a problem that 2nd division Spanish clubs never have to deal with given the size of the country vs. size of the North American continent. However, anyone who watched MLS regularly and is reasonably informed about the league should know the standard of play between MLS teams is now often usually higher than that and also that this battle between two current non-playoff teams also featured one of them resting about half of their regular starters to start the match, a move which would have dropped the level of play a bit from the get go even before you get to any of the other stuff mentioned.

Back to the topic of the thread, I predict Osorio will stay in Toronto. Not because he isn't getting other offers or interest of because there is some conspiracy between journalists and agents in Canada to pretend he has interest from other clubs (as you seem to be on the verge of alleging by dismissing all these sources that you asked people to provide in the first place), I just think he's the type of player who's heart is too wrapped up in his local club for him to want to move on unless its to a very big club in Europe and I'm not sure they will come calling. For that matter I haven't seen anyone seriously suggesting that he's garnering attention from "big clubs" in Europe, only that there is interest in Europe and Mexico, which are pretty broad statements.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Neither of those sources are at all reliable if you cannot cite a single article from Mexico, or Germany, or Belgium, or Austria, or Turkey....They are just made up, most likely fed to the respective journalists by Beswicks Sports Ltd, whose highest value player, acc. Transfermarkt, is Jack Butland at Stoke.

You asked for sources I posted some. Molinaro has a pretty squeaky clean reputation. 

But feel free to scream fake news because it doesn’t align with your view of Osorio. I truly do not care. 

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

He has a successful career in MLS but I still wish for him to be challenged in Europe to see much better he can get.

Money definately played a role too. He wasn't earning that much in Spain 

He's impoving at a good pace now, but once he outgrows MLS.....if he outgrows MLS....then Europe will be there for him. I would personally like to see him transfer to Bolonga in the future given Saputo's connection. I would also be happy to see a loan. 

The good thing about MLS is the rate of growth. Better players coming in with each passing year. Europe is still the place to be for phenomenal talent like Davies and Tabla, but for good players like Osorio and Piette who don't quite have "elite" ceilings, I think MLS is fine. It is improving very fast so it is harder for such players to outgrow it. That is why I am fine with Osorio staying. For as good as he's been I don't think he's too good for the league, and I think he is reaching his potential in the league. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yordy Reyna, as we stand now, is a far superior footballer to Davies. He is miles ahead in most facets of the game. But as you say, he is not going to garner interest from Europe at his age. BTW he transfered to Salzburg at age 19 from Peru, and that was his European apex.

What metric are you using to say that Reyna is a "far superior footballer"? Tekkers? Davies has been a better producer than Reyna this season while playing further from goal.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, Gian-Luca said:

Back to the topic of the thread, I predict Osorio will stay in Toronto. Not because he isn't getting other offers or interest of because there is some conspiracy between journalists and agents in Canada to pretend he has interest from other clubs (as you seem to be on the verge of alleging by dismissing all these sources that you asked people to provide in the first place), I just think he's the type of player who's heart is too wrapped up in his local club for him to want to move on unless its to a very big club in Europe .....

That is pretty tendentious, Gian-Luca, I mean really, posting as if you were his personal psychologist, making up why this or that.

The lack of any evidence for something is always a good enough argument, especially when that something (a football transfer) is usually loaded with evidence, and at this time of year more than ever. The transfer window is open, and every team in Europe has multiple media following and writing stories about every single rumour imaginable. And not one has mentioned Osorio.

What seems to bother many TFC fans is that your being pleased with a player who is admiringly picking up the slack of your front line strikers, is not corresponded by the big bad world of soccer, which should be falling over to acquire his services. 

No player in the world being offered a decent raise to go play in a better league or a stronger competition is going to say no, unless he's a chump. He is the thirteenth best paid player on TFC, acc to the last May 1 stats and excluding Aketke, that is embarrassing and a mark against TFC, though it happens a lot in MLS. If a team in Belgium were offering him 250 thousand Euros and a chance to play Europa league, he'd go. Or if it were Braga, or PAOK, or Brondby, or Stade Reims. Saying otherwise is insulting to the player, who has Colombian blood and a DNA for the game and is not as parochial as you are making him --but really yourselves-- out to be.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Good discussion guys.

Regardless two main points I'd like to point out and make here;

1) The man deserves to be paid, he's earned it, and for years I was one of his biggest critics. Geniunely happy for him. 

2) I hope wherever he goes(or stays), he continues this form and hopefully improves while maintaining this level of confidence.

In the meantime, I've been really impressed with his attitude/maturity in how he is handling the situation. Seems strictly focused on the task at hand for now which is playing footy.

Edited by apbsmith

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

2) I hope wherever he goes(or stays), he continues this form and hopefully improves while maintaining this level of confidence.

In the meantime, I've been really impressed with his attitude/maturity in how he is handling the situation. Seems strictly focused on the task at hand for now which is playing footy.

I don't think we'll see a Dero cheque writing gesture when he scores a big goal.;)

Point 2) is key.  What will his follow up season be like and where is he most likely to solidify that performance?  Obviously, I don't think anyone reasonable will be expecting the same goal production but I'm hoping that he'll continue to be a big positive factor in all of the midfield play for his team.  For me, I really think the best place for him to do that is with his current club. 

13 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Osorio wins the George Gross Trophy as MVP of the Canadian Championship. 

"I'd like to thank ******* for believing in me. Thanks ya prick. Go Real!"

I believe Real is his favourite team too, so it's not that far-fetched lol

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, BearcatSA said:

I don't think we'll see a Dero cheque writing gesture when he scores a big goal.;)

Point 2) is key.  What will his follow up season be like and where is he most likely to solidify that performance?  Obviously, I don't think anyone reasonable will be expecting the same goal production but I'm hoping that he'll continue to be a big positive factor in all of the midfield play for his team.  For me, I really think the best place for him to do that is with his current club. 

yeah, I agree. I hope TFC can find the money to keep him. I feel he can still grow with TFC. And TFC's levels are pretty darn high.  And they will continue to be high.

"I'd like to thank ******** for believing in me. Thanks ya prick. Go Real!"

Please delete your personal insults, and respect the basic board etiquette which requires you address fellow Vs by their board name.

Otherwise, I'll ask for you to be banned, if you need to celebrate a Cup win by trying to insult someone that way then you have a serious personal problem.

"I'd like to thank ****** for believing in me. Thanks ya prick. Go Real!"

Hi jpg75

I see you cannot receive personal messages, that is your prerogative. 

Could you send me one, however, with some way of contacting you, so I can reply to you personally and not on the board.

Thanks

9 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

On a related note, Vic is brutal now. Referred to the CPL as the “Canadian Soccer League” when talking to Steven Reed.

Vic is not a fan of CPL. He was on a Anthony T. show once and said that Canadians want to see the best possible soccer (MLS) and not the CPL.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi jpg75

I see you cannot receive personal messages, that is your prerogative. 

Could you send me one, however, with some way of contacting you, so I can reply to you personally and not on the board.

Thanks

You might want to edit your post so your name doesn't show...and Obinna too.

Edited by jpg75

Just now, jpg75 said:

You might want to edit your post so your name doesn't show...and Obinna too.

I asked you to please pm me, I would prefer to speak to you privately.  That was half a day ago. I don't know what you are afraid of jpg75.

Meanwhile, just delete your post and admit it was not appropriate to use a personal name, deliberately mispelled, if a fellow user has not given you permission. 

BTW, making like you are corresponding to my request and coming up with another attempt at insulting my name, in a very specific way: I and a few others here have an idea where that is coming from. And if we are right, that deserves a ban.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I asked you to please pm me, I would prefer to speak to you privately.  That was half a day ago. I don't know what you are afraid of jpg75.

Meanwhile, just delete your post and admit it was not appropriate to use a personal name, deliberately mispelled, if a fellow user has not given you permission. 

BTW, making like you are corresponding to my request and coming up with another attempt at insulting my name, in a very specific way: I and a few others here have an idea where that is coming from. And if we are right, that deserves a ban.

Listen bud i tried to ease the tension, but seriously what the fuck is your problem!? You go around the last week taking out your frustrations from the 1st leg being a dick to everyone who disagrees with you. Pretty sure you called Ansem stupid last night and now you're butthurt and playing victim because i called you a prick in a karmic (now that's karma) joke. You reap what you sow.

I've said everything i need to say. Goodbye.

I edited out the name from the posts. Let me know if I missed any.

We should not be posting anyone's real name. I do it by mistake sometimes and go back and correct it.  There are a lot of  really good reasons people don't / can't use their real names here.

We need to operate on the principle that we not act and/or write things we wouldn't say in a bar with a beer before a Canada game.  People need to think of this is one long pre game party, because the only reason we are here are the Canada games. 

Obviously people get frustrated, disappointed, angry and things spiral.  

Please get back to Osario in this thread. 

Getting back to Osorio: I love how he has raised his game and plays consistently well and has SO much more poise on the ball. He rarely misses a pass, rarely messes up in possession.  But is he a game-changer? He is an important piece in Vanney's starting 11, but if he goes to Europe, will they not be looking for somebody who can change games?  I would think that IF Osorio wanted to end up with a team that would push his development, then that team would be looking for somebody who can have significant impact on a game. I fear that he would be, at best, a solid piece for some European side--maybe the Erevidisie, or Bundesliga II--but likely mid-table teams.  Would such a move be a significant and useful upgrade for him?  I guess the pay would be better. Maybe that's what it'll all come down to in the end. How many chances does he have left in his career for a significant pay raise?

Oh, and Tiebert is way better than Osorio!! (Kidding--only kidding!)