The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Sorry Hoilett is a fucking idiot for not getting the covid vax.

And now we will miss him for a key WCQ because of that stupidity.

@shorty’s post was excellent. 
Yours is emotional and without consideration to what Hoilett’s reasoning is or even if you’re correct in assuming he’s unvaccinated. 

Until we can hear from the man himself we can’t criticize. What if he can’t get vaccinated? Is he an idiot? 

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Agreed.

Unless he has a really solid and reasoned justification for not getting vaxxed that we don’t know about, and which he has no obligation to share with us. 

But if he is not vaxxed because “ReaSoNs”, yes, I would agree, selfish asshole.  But we don’t know, so… (shrugs shoulders). 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

@shorty’s post was excellent. 
Yours is emotional and without consideration to what Hoilett’s reasoning is or even if you’re correct in assuming he’s unvaccinated. 

Until we can hear from the man himself we can’t criticize. What if he can’t get vaccinated? Is he an idiot? 

Sorry the actual true medical reasons to avoid the covid vax are miniscule

Anti vaxxers are fucking idiots 

Maybe true, but that sentiment, expressed that way, isn’t super helpful in the whole “having a reasoned conversation in the public sphere” thing, anymore than ridiculing people for taking it. 

Edit: now if you had said “people who won’t take the vaccine based on Nicki Minaj’s opinion as opposed to the entire world’s scientific establishment are fucking idiots” then I would be right there with you. :)

Edited by shorty

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Sorry the actual true medical reasons to avoid the covid vax are miniscule

Anti vaxxers are fucking idiots 

To top it off, 98% of them are vaccinated for various things that they have never gotten in their lives.

All these people walking around without polio just thinking it is normal to walk around without polio.

Referring to @Spurs Fan he boasted on this board, early on, that his entire family had gone through Covid before March 2000. I think he believes he's an uber-man, a medical illuminati.

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

Maybe true, but that sentiment, expressed that way, isn’t super helpful in the whole “having a reasoned conversation in the public sphere” thing, anymore than ridiculing people for taking it. 

Edit: now if you had said “people who won’t take the vaccine based on Nicki Minaj’s opinion as opposed to the entire world’s scientific establishment are fucking idiots” then I would be right there with you. :)

We are basically lucky that Jamaica wasn't added to the Red List too.

This is the Voyageurs forum. It's not my job to convince anti vax morons to get vaccinated 

True. But all our actions in the public sphere have a greater impact than just our immediate intentions. Like driving drunk, for example. I’m just trying to get home. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m pissed too but it’s based on incomplete and probably unknowable information. And I also don’t like a lot of what I assume are “anti-vaxxer” perspectives, but if we’re going to convince them all, we need a middle ground, with the goal being getting back to qualifiers where we don’t have to worry about this shit anymore. 

Just now, shorty said:

True. But all our actions in the public sphere have a greater impact than just our immediate intentions. Like driving drunk, for example. I’m just trying to get home. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m pissed too but it’s based on incomplete and probably unknowable information. And I also don’t like a lot of what I assume are “anti-vaxxer” perspectives, but if we’re going to convince them all, we need a middle ground, with the goal being getting back to qualifiers where we don’t have to worry about this shit anymore. 

The best way to convince them is to hit them in the wallet with true mandates.

Science and logic won't change their mind from the advice their reiki practitioner gave them

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would ask after doing some reading:

Does this "bespoke" quarantine apply to Championship players?  All the articles say it was negotiations with the Premier League and the government.  

I believe it applies to EFL too as the US players on Fulham (Robinson and Ream) will be travelling to Panama

Can we get all of this vax garbage cleaned up from here? Perhaps I am alone, but I read this forum to escape this type of divisive content. I don't care about another individual's vaccine status, political leanings, religion, view on abortion et cetera. At the end of the day it has little to nothing to do with the national team.

1 minute ago, Varsity Tyler said:

Can we get all of this vax garbage cleaned up from here? Perhaps I am alone, but I read this forum to escape this type of divisive content. I don't care about another individual's vaccine status, political leanings, religion, view on abortion et cetera. At the end of the day it has little to nothing to do with the national team.

Exactly.

"Look mom, I shared my opinion on the internet again!"

15 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

To be fair, the only reason it sparked up is because it appears one of our key players is unvaxxed and is missing a game. 

The specific situation with Hoilett has a lot to do with the national team, was bound to spiral out of control into a greater debate after Sportsflu’s post. 

It sucks because hes one of the most committed guys to the national team, and now his choice appears(hasnt been 100% confirmed) to have lead to him missing a game where we really need him given our injuries in attack. 

Edited by king1010

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Has that changed in the last couple days? Again the articles were saying they specifically were missing out.

Yes the initial reporting was that they would not travel to Panama. Now USMNT supporters seem to be saying Robinson will travel (Ream is no longer in the squad). I guess i havent seen official confirmation though

Edited by Floortom

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yes the initial reporting was that they would not travel to Panama. Not USMNT supporters seem to be saying Robinson will travel (Ream is no longer in the squad). I guess i havent seen official confirmation though

Yes. It would nice to know for sure.  English press might be being lazy and just saying "Premier League players" but then again they also said it was the Premier League negotiating not the EFL.

Just now, king1010 said:

To be fair, the only reason it sparked up is because it appears one of our key players is unvaxxed ...

It doesn't matter why it kicked off. The anger, venom and hostility which seems to come with this topic is crippling, and calling people 'a$sholes' and 'facking idiots' is flat out rude and unkind. The individuals on the receiving end of those insults are the same people wearing red as part of the support in the stands during these qualifiers. Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour takes the enjoyment out of our forum.

3 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

It doesn't matter why it kicked off. The anger, venom and hostility which seems to come with this topic is crippling, and calling people 'a$sholes' and 'facking idiots' is flat out rude and unkind. The individuals on the receiving end of those insults are the same people wearing red as part of the support in the stands during these qualifiers. Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour takes the enjoyment out of our forum.

Thats fair, that part is unrelated to the national team. But Hoilett missing Mexico and the reasons why is directly related to the National Team. 

Edited by king1010

Just now, king1010 said:

Thats fair, that part is unrelated to the national team. But Hoilett missing Mexico is directly related to the National Team. 

Then the polite thing to say would be:

"Bummer that Hoilett's personal decision conflicts with governmental regulation. He is a quality player and it would be great if he could see the pitch at Azteca. Alas, it looks like it's not meant to be this time."

Super easy. Super kind. Super respectful. Super understanding.

5 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

Then the polite thing to say would be:

"Bummer that Hoilett's personal decision conflicts with governmental regulation. He is a quality player and it would be great if he could see the pitch at Azteca. Alas, it looks like it's not meant to be this time."

Super easy. Super kind. Super respectful. Super understanding.

Thats not gunna fly with passionate supporters on this board. Especially when you speak about commitment to the team, being all in etc then miss a critical game because of your personal decision. 

Edited by king1010

2 hours ago, narduch said:

At this point, anyone who's eligible, has no contraindications (extremely rare), and isn't vaccinated is a fucking idiot.

~88% of eligible Canadians (29M of 33M) have had at least 1 vaccine, and if you're in the 12% that hasn't, the rest of us are pretty fucking done with your bullshit.