The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

On 11/30/2021 at 2:21 PM, FC_Hali said:

Great news. Important player for us. Though we’ve continued to get results, I think we’ve really missed his balance and calmness in our build up. We’ve been relying on hero-ball from Phonsie and Tajon and it’s been a bit disjointed (granted conditions have played a big role in that). He’s just so good at retaining possession, almost like a hold up striker but in the half spaces in midfield. I don’t think it’s coincidence that some of our best footy has been when he’s on the field.

Millar, Corbeanu and Shaff are coming along nicely but they’re very different players. I still view Hoilett as more integral at this stage of qualifying. Hope he stays healthy and gets into a rhythm leading into January.

Still gives us that Queresma-like quality of craftiness off the bench which I like.

Hoilett is the type of crafty,  cunning, Concacaf seasoned player I want  on the field away to Honduras & ES assuming he is match fit.  He no longer has the speed that made him dangerous down the wing but he is great at keeping possession and winning fouls in key areas of the field.

Edited by Kadenge

34 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hoilette is the type of crafty,  cunning, Concacaf seasoned player I want  on the field away to Honduras & ES assuming he is match fit.  He no longer has the speed that made him dangerous down the wing but he is great at keeping possession and winning fouls in key areas of the field.

That's the thing.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone else in our squad has the same ability to score from distance (in open play).  So much of our threat is in the box it is nice to have a guy that prevents teams from just collapsing into the box.  Damn I hope he can stay healthy for the next year.   

He also has pretty good hold-up play, pretty good in the air, nice free kicks too; he is wily, knows how to pick it up or slow it down, moves well between the lines. You know he's never lazy defending. Gives us a lot of stuff we don't have too much.

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He also has pretty good hold-up play, pretty good in the air, nice free kicks too; he is wily, knows how to pick it up or slow it down, moves well between the lines. You know he's never lazy defending. Gives us a lot of stuff we don't have too much.

As long as he stays healthy he’s a perfect option off the bench to change our dynamic for 30 mins

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone else in our squad has the same ability to score from distance (in open play).  So much of our threat is in the box it is nice to have a guy that prevents teams from just collapsing into the box.  Damn I hope he can stay healthy for the next year.   

Definitely our biggest threat from outside the box. He's had some amazing goals in his career.

Despite his great Gold Cup I still forget about him half the time, if he can stay healthy the next few weeks he could be a big help this window. Honduras and El Salvador's domestic players haven't been playing recently from what I can tell, we'll at least have all these forwards playing in Europe and in form.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:39 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Along with Hutch, gotta be our two highest soccer IQ's.  They just options at a different speed.  They bring soo much.

Mustachio 3rd?  Johnston also surprises with his game management and decision making given his age. 

Not in the starting XI or on the bench today. Wonder if it’s injury/Covid related. You’d think he’d be playing again after scoring a brace last match.

Edit: it is a cup match against a team from the 6th division so maybe he’s just being rested, but I figured he’d at least be on the bench.

Edited by archer21