The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Experience, whether personal, group, yours and others, is definitely a factor in changing people's minds. 

You start wearing a bike helmet when your cousin falls and hits her head cycling, and ends up with an blunt force aneuryism. But also because you have read, for years, that helmets help prevent head injuries in bike accidents.

So that could be why people make verbal and written arguments. Not to convince someone on the spot, not necessarily. That information, matched with an experience, then becomes a reason to change an opinion, and a practice. In fact one of the core ways of arguing is to make a point, and match it with an example. Or wait for the example to appear close at hand for whomever you are arguing with.

For example: you can argue til you are blue in your face that Eustaquio should not take free kicks, because he always puts them in short and we waste them; then he puts in a beautiful direct free kick and you change your mind. Partially. If someone argues he can do the directs but still shouldn't take the indirects, and you think they are wrong, you need a case--Junior doing better one match Stephen is not playing--to help be convinced. Fans spend hours and hours arguing over pints and pints why a coach won't respond to evidence staring him in the face that everyone can see except him.

It seems strong experiences for important issues do more to affect how people might change an opinion apparently set in stone. For minor issues, obviously there is less to win or lose, so you can just fly in the face of logic and who cares. A colleague at work insists on wearing the wrong ties--let him, he's offending basic good taste but it does not matter. But if we are talking about things that matter, like health (for most all), or CMNT results (for us supporters), then experiences often do end up justifying making the (however tedious) arguments in the first place.

I wrote this especially to make the tedious argument, when I should be doing something else. 

I totally get what you are saying.  The only thing I would add is that it comes down to experience and the amount of information available and what you choose to believe.

In your example, you and I could be on opposite sides of the Eustaquio question and if we were just arguing over pints, I think you would have a point and one or the other could be convinced.  However, if after a game, there were three dozen think pieces about Eustaquio's free kick ability published from various "experts" available to us, all with different conclusions, I think the job of convincing the other is almost insurmountable.  This is because I will use the think pieces that agree with me and work my damnedest to find fault with the ones that don't.  Then, once both are armed with this information, trying to convince one or the other of the opposite viewpoint is damn near impossible.

Basically, it comes down to the ability to curate your own "truth".

Speaking of, I do have something to disagree with you about, but I'm still trying to formulate my viewpoint and it'll be in another thread, so stay tuned!

Taking this back to Junior - we still don’t know if he’s vaccinated or not. Based on wotherspoon also not being able to travel to Mexico I wonder if it’s a budget issue. Ie it could simply be the club not wanting to eat the cost of the 10 day quarantine at the “bespoke” facility. For a Premier League team that’s nothing but for an EFL club or St Johnstone it’s more substantial.

20 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

COVID aside, would it not be worth it to send anyone not in Herdman's 18 for Mexico straight to Jamaica? Altitude effects and all that...

I think so but there is something to be said about building chemistry and a plan leading towards the Jamaica game. Also you might need everyone present for work in training etc

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think so but there is something to be said about building chemistry and a plan leading towards the Jamaica game. Also you might need everyone present for work in training etc

I agree, but as far as we know at least 6 of the guys aren't travelling to Mexico anyway... might as well embrace this shitshow of a window and go full chaos

the joker GIF by hoppip

15 hours ago, frattinator said:

I’m just saddened when I compare our response to the COVID vaccine to the last time the “collective we” reacted to a vaccine that was available for a widespread disease (polio). When the success of the polio vaccine was announced, people lined their kids up for the vaccine! There was widespread euphoria! Political leaders from the entire spectrum threw their support behind it (both the USSR and the US lauded the discoverers with medals and commendations). People didn’t say things like “I want to do my own research” or listen to contrarian grifters about how the real cure for polio is zinc and vitamin C. Of course there were people who didn’t want their kids to take it, but they were criticized and their opinions were dismissed as being on the fringe of society. People got their kids vaccinated both to protect them and as a matter of public duty, and public health officials never had to find ways to coerce citizens to do this (with that being said, polio vaccines were added as one of the mandatory childhood vaccines for access to public schools etc.). 

I wonder how much of it is COVID patients suffered in their own hospital rooms out of sight of public, while people saw first hand the paralyzed children on iron lungs (even if COVID is empirically more deadly than polio in the latter’s predominant era).

That is an argument I use often: we are all vaccinated against polio, and look how many polio victims are out there.

In Spain, Franco decided that the polio vaccine was bogus, backed by a hack medical establishment controlled by his authoritarian regime, using arguments that closely resemble what anti-vaxxers say now. The language is shockingly similar. Straight out of the fascist playbook.

The consequence is that Spain, with a high incidence of polio in the early 50s still, has this group of people who have suffered from it all their lives unnecessarily, because a dictator decided he was smarter. I happen to know one of these people, she's a former colleague, a leading design historian--but has spent the last 10 years mostly in a wheelchair after enjoying her crutches for the previous 55 years. 

I think the Salk vaccine, unpatented by the way, started to be applied in 1955, Franco gave up his alternative bogus methods in 1964, not before thousands had died from polio and an estimated 300,000 were affected.

Those before my friend had no chance and suffered terribly. Her suffering is a political and ideological outrage and a living homage to stupidity.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 weeks later...

Haven’t heard anything regarding his injury so I started searching around… doesn’t sound very good for November.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paunovic-reading-updates-hoilett-rinomhota-21882285.amp

"Junior didn't participate [against Barnsley] as he was one of the international absences, he is still being assessed by our doctors," he said.

"At the time he returned, we couldn't do anything, so he will have a proper assessment on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- Hoilett remains injured and won't play tomorrow but has "made progress", so I guess the outcome looks optimistic for the weeks to come

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/veljko-paunovic-issues-rallying-call-ahead-of-readings-clash-with-nottingham-forest/ar-AAQU0jv

- Reading has been docked 6 points for breaking financial rules :(

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59320479

- Reading have had so many injuries that they have brought in Andy Carroll on an emergency 2-month contract!

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Carroll

Great news. Important player for us. Though we’ve continued to get results, I think we’ve really missed his balance and calmness in our build up. We’ve been relying on hero-ball from Phonsie and Tajon and it’s been a bit disjointed (granted conditions have played a big role in that). He’s just so good at retaining possession, almost like a hold up striker but in the half spaces in midfield. I don’t think it’s coincidence that some of our best footy has been when he’s on the field.

Millar, Corbeanu and Shaff are coming along nicely but they’re very different players. I still view Hoilett as more integral at this stage of qualifying. Hope he stays healthy and gets into a rhythm leading into January.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, canuckgbp said:

Didn't play today or even make the bench. Saw something on twitter that it might be another "2 weeks". 

On Dec 2 the news was:

"He has started his integration on the grass, non contact mostly and getting back to shape, but he is not ready yet. We expect him to be back in the next couple of weeks."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-updates-joao-meite-paunovic-22347388.amp

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Looks like Hoilett is available as a sub today for Reading. 🤞

So the timeline seems to have been correct. I doubt he plays more than 10 minutes today though.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille