York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

The majority owner Bill Webb passed away in August, and while there were other investors, and the Webb family said they wanted to keep Bill's dream alive, the money just didn't come together. MLR teams have to prove their finances for next season at the end of November, and the Arrows couldn't. 

Really sucks that they couldn't find someone else to come on board, but rugby is even farther down the totem pole than soccer in terms of willing investors. 

6 hours ago, Tigers said:

The majority owner Bill Webb passed away in August, and while there were other investors, and the Webb family said they wanted to keep Bill's dream alive, the money just didn't come together. MLR teams have to prove their finances for next season at the end of November, and the Arrows couldn't. 

Really sucks that they couldn't find someone else to come on board, but rugby is even farther down the totem pole than soccer in terms of willing investors. 

6 hours ago, Tigers said:

The Toronto Wolfpack and yes I know it’s a different type of Rugby but it’s still Rugby, they used  to average close to 8000 in 10000 capacity Lamport Stadium . I guess it was the fact that the Wolfpack were playing in the England Rugby League  league rather than a Canadian or North American  league that was one of the main reasons for their success attendance wise.

Have heard they liberally distributed freebie tickets and that was part of why there was no huge enthusiasm to let them back in after COVID ended:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/36536/12132048/toronto-wolfpack-robert-elstone-defends-super-league-clubs-right-to-vote-on-canadian-sides-future

...Elstone witnessed first-hand the atmosphere generated by raucous fans on match day at the Lamport Stadium but questioned the true value of turnstile revenue.

"It was a terrific experience when I went and I've said that before," said Elstone. "But in terms of its average attendance and what that generated in revenue, I don't think there was ever real clarity."...

A case of smoke and mirrors basically.

Nothing from the league so far, so wonder if somebody released the story by mistake before they were supposed to?

https://777score.com/news/football/120719-york-united-sold-to-game-plan-sports-a-game-changing-acquisition-for-canadian-premier-league

...One appealing aspect of Game Plan Sports’ bid is the family connections the Pasquel brothers have with FEMSA, a multinational beverage and retail company that owns the Mexican team CF Monterrey. Additionally, the challenging winter weather faced by the CPL in terms of ideal off-season training conditions prompted strategic value in pursuing an investment from a Mexican group linked to CF Monterrey. This partnership could potentially lead to preseason training or tournaments involving multiple CPL teams in Mexico, extending the league’s season in the future...

FEMSA could credibly be described as world class ownership. Not sure these guys fall into that category if they only have "family connections" in that context. A way to get PR status through investing in Canada maybe?

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nothing from the league so far, so wonder if somebody released the story by mistake before they were supposed to?

https://777score.com/news/football/120719-york-united-sold-to-game-plan-sports-a-game-changing-acquisition-for-canadian-premier-league

...One appealing aspect of Game Plan Sports’ bid is the family connections the Pasquel brothers have with FEMSA, a multinational beverage and retail company that owns the Mexican team CF Monterrey. Additionally, the challenging winter weather faced by the CPL in terms of ideal off-season training conditions prompted strategic value in pursuing an investment from a Mexican group linked to CF Monterrey. This partnership could potentially lead to preseason training or tournaments involving multiple CPL teams in Mexico, extending the league’s season in the future...

FEMSA could credibly be described as world class ownership. Not sure these guys fall into that category if they only have "family connections" in that context. A way to get PR status through investing in Canada maybe?

To me it just seems like people within FEMSA setting up a separate entity that owns York United. That's how I read that. 

The article writes a lot about what the father has done in soccer, what their uncle has done, and what their grandfathers have done, but not what they've done, though they're installing themselves as CEO, President and GM, and Chief Commercial Officer. So, kind of curious how that goes. Or maybe they do have some experience and the article just doesn't mention it.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

The article writes a lot about what the father has done in soccer, what their uncle has done, and what their grandfathers have done, but not what they've done, though they're installing themselves as CEO, President and GM, and Chief Commercial Officer. So, kind of curious how that goes. Or maybe they do have some experience and the article just doesn't mention it.

That's a valid point, actually.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Great stuff. The first step in what will need to be a complete overhaul of the club. Next up is to sort out the stadium situation.

Also interesting that this group is willing to relocate themselves to Toronto while Angus McNab was not...

I still can’t believe that the previous owners actually hired a guy that didn’t live or even relocated to the city where he managed the team . Totally bush league material by those idiots who owned the team previously I’m sorry . No wonder the team went nowhere fast under their failed ownership. Hopefully these new people don’t make the same bone head mistakes let’s hope .

Well I'm not into conspiracy theories but... this all adds up.

So the Mexican's are involved in new ownership of York. 

Well the beloved mascot disappeared awhile back. Of course I speak of none other than the humanoid being from another universe, Yorky.

And recently an alien body was displayed by the Mexican government (that really happened)!

So he was found in Mexico and is sure to make a triumphant return back to Canada. He's back! And wearing a Sombrero with a bottle of otherworldly tequila.

york9-mascot-yorky.jpg

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It sounds like committed owners with deep pockets, a long standing connection to football in NA, and significant links with Club America, Monterrey, and the Mexican national team. I'm impressed initially but we'll see what it yields. I expected Rob Friend and Josh Simpson to utilize connections in Germany and Switzerland but nothing much has come of it yet