York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

As far as I'm concerned we should get rid of the monarchy  and Canada finally becomes a independent country and not a Dominion as we are now. That's where I'm going with that, but this is not the place for this discussion.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Couldn't care less about the Royal Family or whether there's a crown on this particular club crest but Canada does still have the Windsor monarchy in place, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. There's both a maple leaf for Canada and a trillium for Ontario in there if you look closely.

18 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

As far as I'm concerned we should get rid of the monarchy  and Canada finally becomes a independent country and not a Dominion as we are now. That's where I'm going with that, but this is not the place for this discussion.

You are the one who started the discussion. Just for your information Canada stopped being a Dominion a long time ago arguably as far back as 1948 and Trudeau patriated the constitution back in the 1980s so Canada already is a fully independent country.

The level of influence the Windsor monarchy has over Canada is pretty much zero at this point, but if there had been no British Empire for the losing side in 1776 to stay loyal to in what became Canada the USA's manifest destiny would have reached the Arctic as well as the Pacific. 

11 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You are the one who started the discussion. Just for your information Canada stopped being a Dominion a long time ago arguably as far back as 1948 and Trudeau patriated the constitution back in the 1980s so Canada already is a fully independent country.

The level of influence the Windsor monarchy has over Canada is pretty much zero at this point, but if there had been no British Empire for the losing side in 1776 to stay loyal to in what became Canada the USA's manifest destiny would have reached the Arctic as well as the Pacific. 

.....just read inside your passport and ask new citizens who they pledge their aligence to.

Maybe ask why your family didn't emigrate to the USA instead if that's a problem for you? If there had been no crown after 1776 there would be no Canada today. That's why some people still view the monarchy as being one of the things that makes Canada different from the USA.

One country has a governor general seperate from the prime minister's office and smooth transitions of power while the other has a president as head of state launching an attempted coup when he loses an election. I know which of those two scenarios I prefer.

Most people in my experience just tune the monarchy out and get on with their lives. The real reason it doesn't get replaced is likely that the last time the constitution was opened up the end result was a Quebec sovereignty referendum that the federalist side almost lost so better to leave it as it is warts and all than go through that again.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe ask why your family didn't emigrate to the USA instead if that's a problem for you? If there had been no crown after 1776 there would be no Canada today. That's why some people still view the monarchy as being one of the things that makes Canada different from the USA.

One country has a governor general seperate from the prime minister's office and smooth transitions of power while the other has a president as head of state launching an attempted coup when he loses an election. I know which of those two scenarios I prefer.

Most people in my experience just tune the monarchy out and get on with their lives. The real reason it doesn't get replaced is likely that the last time the constitution was opened up the end result was a Quebec sovereignty referendum that the federalist side almost lost so better to leave it as it is warts and all than go through that again.

Well at least now we know you are a well rounded douchebag not just a soccer related one. It must be gratifying feeling superior to absolutely everyone. Keep up the good work.

In defense of @Ozzie_the_parrothe didn't start the conversation when other people just tossed out your typical vanilla statements that never get challenged because lets be honest, most people dont know shit. He just ended it with an actually well thought out point of view. But yah he's just a jerk because you know his facts don't fit in with other people's simplistic cheap pops.

My thought is if you dont want to get wet don't go swimming and there was zero reasons to derail this thread with such a topic. 

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

In defense of @Ozzie_the_parrothe didn't start the conversation when other people just tossed out your typical vanilla statements that never get challenged because lets be honest, most people dont know shit. He just ended it with an actually well thought out point of view. But yah he's just a jerk because you know his facts don't fit in with other people's simplistic cheap pops.

My thought is if you dont want to get wet don't go swimming and there was zero reasons to derail this thread with such a topic. 

If you referring to me, let me know exactly what I do not know shit about.

On 11/8/2023 at 6:12 PM, SpursFlu said:

FEMSA would definitely check the legitimate owners box in a big way. 20% owners of Heineken and heavily involved with Coca Cola and various retail outlets throughout Latin America. If that's what the above tweets are suggesting that is a very impressive group to bring in to the CPL

Heineken?  Sweet.  That would make for a fine sponsor on the front of any CPL kit.  Coca-Cola wouldn't look too shabby either.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

November 26th will mark the 30 day mark since the "update within 30 days" claim. Northern Tribune claiming it is a done deal, but they don't seem to know who the new owners are yet.

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-fc-sale-incoming-2023/

The article says end of the month for an announcement. 

That means next week

6 hours ago, Kent said:

November 26th will mark the 30 day mark since the "update within 30 days" claim. Northern Tribune claiming it is a done deal, but they don't seem to know who the new owners are yet.

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-fc-sale-incoming-2023/

Looks like nothing more than a rehash of what was being said a month ago. Think the commish not only said an update rather than an announcement in 30 days but also couched it in terms of should rather than will. It didn't sound like a done deal with pen already meeting paper on a sale in other words but something that was probably still at the due dilligence stage and hence still no sure thing.

It grew arms and legs on social media after that though with stuff like the Monterrey angle. On the one hand, some Reggie Dunlop style something's afloat, get some tits in there, and put a map of Woodbine Racetrack in the background malarkey sounds better in a press conference than we need to keep this going for the optics of having eight teams next season but I guess we do have it on good authority that 777 Sports had a look see so it's far from impossible there was more interest after that.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Looks like nothing more than a rehash of what was being said a month ago. Think the commish not only said an update rather than an announcement in 30 days but also couched it in terms of should rather than will. It didn't sound like a done deal with pen already meeting paper on a sale in other words but something that was probably still at the due dilligence stage and hence still no sure thing.

It grew arms and legs on social media after that though with stuff like the Monterrey angle. On the one hand, some Reggie Dunlop style something's afloat, get some tits in there, and put a map of Woodbine Racetrack in the background malarkey sounds better in a press conference than we need to keep this going for the optics of having eight teams next season but I guess we do have it on good authority that 777 Sports had a look see so it's far from impossible there was more interest after that.

Some of the article is a rehash, but this part doesn't sound like it.

"A group described by the commissioner as ‘world-class’ have indeed put pen to paper on the deal, with sources within the league revealing that the CPL hopes to have an announcement regarding the new clubrunners by the month’s end – though an exact date could not be confirmed."

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As Kent has kindly pointed out, the second paragraph literally states that pen has been put to paper. 

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Some of the article is a rehash, but this part doesn't sound like it.

"A group described by the commissioner as ‘world-class’ have indeed put pen to paper on the deal, with sources within the league revealing that the CPL hopes to have an announcement regarding the new clubrunners by the month’s end – though an exact date could not be confirmed."

Northern Tribune wrote it so it must be true rather than one overexhuberent fan's misunderstanding of what was being said previously. If anything was actually signed by that point my money is on an NDA rather than an outright sale. That sort of misunderstood nuance is how things tend to grow arms and legs on social media.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot