York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

1 minute ago, Rocket Robin said:

I know nothing about that.  I just didn't get excited because I read on December 12th that a player named Zeppieri from Vaughan Azzurri (age 17) signed for Pescara Calcio in Italy so I thought York would be competing to sign him against an Italian team. 

It turns out that player is Michael Zeppieri whereas the Vaughan player drafted by York is Christian Zeppieri who is age 20.   Maybe they are brothers?  

As to your question, the player they drafted in the second round may be the son of the Atletico Ottawa kitman who I have listed on a team sheet as Bruce Hartill so you may have something there.  

That ls the one I meant, I thought that was first round oops. 

On 12/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, Mihairokov said:

Part of what makes TFC so novel is that the team doesn't have blue as its main colour. TFC merch sticks out a lot when people are wearing it around town. York is fine with green, IMO. 

My understanding is that Lamport is far-gone enough at this point that it would take significant investment to bring the stadium back up to a suitable professional standard. I was last there in 2019 for a Wolfpack game and it was very bare bones then - they were selling drinks on card tables, the tunnels under the stands had standing water, and i'm sure the changing rooms and other internal facilities were similar.

Someone on this forum mentioned it years ago and it's an idea that i've come around on a lot recently: Brockton Stadium at Dufferin Mall. It's in the city, on a subway line, has adequate space for a 3-4K build, and probably wouldn't cost anything compared to the renovations required at Lamport. I think a team here (preferably new and not York relocated) would work exceptionally well, and would be within walking distance of tons of people and within reasonable subway or bus for the rest.

RE: Scarborough alienating half the city - that's the point, kind of. Scarborough is large enough with enough of its own character that they would probably support a team if they had one (cannot say this about the York area). There's a lot of pent up demand in that part of town if everything comes together in the right way. Master's games at L'Amoreaux are always...active, for lack of a better word.

Anyway, I don't know if Woodbine is still happening or not, but it always seemed like a bad idea to move the team to what is effectively a horse-racing track in a still-suburban part of town.

Is there actually talk of a rebranding with new colours? I feel like they have to let the dust settle a little bit before they do that again, even if the York branding isn't the best long-term solution (although I think they can make it work). Mind you if they were to sign Giovinco somehow they would have carte blanche to do whatever they want

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-club-options-2024/

"Himaras, Gee, and Buschman-Dormund are awaiting option decisions, while Giantsopoulos, Grant, Dos Santos, and Petrasso are out of contract.  We’ve heard that Paris Gee will be moving out west"

How far west?  The 1 of 2 VFC's seem most likely. edit: returning home to BC.

Edited by K Edgar

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/york-united-fc-announce-roster-updates-ahead-of-2024-season

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-2023-end-of-season-departures/

13 players are currently under contract for next season.

departures:

Carson Buschman-Dormond
Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
Paris Gee
Jonathan Grant
Tass Mourdoukoutas
Michael Petrasso

Would expect Gagnon-Laparé and Gee to find a spot elsewhere in the CanPL

On 12/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, K Edgar said:

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/york-united-fc-announce-roster-updates-ahead-of-2024-season

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-2023-end-of-season-departures/

13 players are currently under contract for next season.

departures:

Carson Buschman-Dormond
Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
Paris Gee
Jonathan Grant
Tass Mourdoukoutas
Michael Petrasso

Would expect Gagnon-Laparé and Gee to find a spot elsewhere in the CanPL

Wbu grant ? Is he capped at Canada and Guyanese level 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:53 PM, K Edgar said:

Interesting signing, although his career seems to have dropped off over the last couple seasons and was recently playing in the 3rd and 4th tier in Spain. York haven't always had the best of luck with signings from Europe, so.... we'll see...

21 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Interesting signing, although his career seems to have dropped off over the last couple seasons and was recently playing in the 3rd and 4th tier in Spain. York haven't always had the best of luck with signings from Europe, so.... we'll see...

Thanks for the tip. When a teen he was in the Atlético Madrid system. Then played elsewhere, like Finland, and was only signed for Talavera (Jesús Jiménez's team) from March to May last year, injured part of the time. They relegated from 3rd to 4th tier, and they released him. So been inactive for over half a year.

He has Lichtenstein national team experience.

47 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

Cordova is a far more exciting signing than Salanovic IMO. Although if his Wiki is correct and up to date, he's not had a huge amount of game time over the last year or two in Chile.

Just skimming Fotmob, he played in Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana in 2023.

I agree this is a pretty cool signing