York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Great stuff. The first step in what will need to be a complete overhaul of the club. Next up is to sort out the stadium situation.

Also interesting that this group is willing to relocate themselves to Toronto while Angus McNab was not...

I keep hammering this home, but the only stadium solution in the city proper is to play out of Lamport. Make the necessary changes to the aesthetics, market it as the "cheaper" experience home experience where you can watch professional footy for a good price and have a 5$ beer, 3$ dollar hot dogs (ala Atlanta United)

Without Saudi, Qatari, or UAE money there aren't pockets deep enough to build a stadium in Toronto that is easily accessible.  

It's cheaper to upgrade Lamport than it is to build a new stadium in an ideal Toronto location, and with the shit show that is going on at TFC now is the perfect time to take advantage of the space. 

I am not very excited about this change because the Stadium situation is still crap, and I find it depressing to think they'll just draw things out in that venue. When it is a bit of a lost cause and a barrier that can't be overcome as is. 

I mean, I've been to VFC stadium in Langley, and whatever you have to say, the day they get 10-20% more fans in there it'll take shape nicely. It's not ideal, but it's miles ahead of the York situation. 

My suspicion, sorry to say, is that this little investment has more to do with other business interests the family may have, or want to have, in Canada, I'm not sure but it could reek of ulterior motives and price being paid is just the "fee" for those other concerns. 

Looking at their 2022 annual report of FEMSA, who control Monterrey, the entire group is driven by their Coca Cola licensing. As we know that also drives CC products, so distribution channels for Coca Cola are powerfully accompanied by other brands controlled by the group. Then they've been adding a supermarket chain, OXXO, a bit of gasoline distribution. They are reaching into the health sector. Setting up in Toronto does not do anything for their Coca Cola interests, but it could be a base for food distribution, for example, or health. I seriously doubt the three brother are going to sit in an office in Toronto for a few years to worry about a minor professional soccer team.

Ok, I really don't know how the Pasquel brothers fit with FEMSA, but apparently it is a tie of some importance. Maybe I am off on this because we don't know what the key interest is.

Anyways, sticking with FEMSA: take their US business interests, which the Annual Report puts 100% into the category of Strategic Business, which then they describe as food distribution and other logistics. They have pushing 4000 employees in the US, nothing in Canada. They are all over the Americas except Canada, Venezuela likely for political reasons, and Paraguay, ignoring smaller countries. So a base for the extension of their logistic, hospitality and distribution efforts in Canada could make sense. And York United helps to leverage that and establishes them as respectable community stakeholders.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I am taking the news as a positive, because even 2 months ago I wasn't convinced they would actually find owners for the team. At the very least this news means the burden of York United is on a new owner, rather than pulling down the other owners. I am also encouraged that the article mentioned that these guys realize there is an opportunity to leverage the talent in Brampton, so they don't seem to be completely clueless.

But by no means do I think it's a slam dunk that things will be better under this ownership than the previous ownership. As has been pointed out by others, there is still the matter of finding a permanent home (even if it's putting a flag in the ground at the current stadium and not constantly flirting with the idea of leaving behind what should be their current fanbase) and of course, just because your relatives are competent, doesn't mean you are competent. For all I know there could be a favoured brother that will take over Club America or something, while these guys are hidden up in the frozen tundra with a team nobody will notice or care about.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I am taking the news as a positive, because even 2 months ago I wasn't convinced they would actually find owners for the team. At the very least this news means the burden of York United is on a new owner, rather than pulling down the other owners. I am also encouraged that the article mentioned that these guys realize there is an opportunity to leverage the talent in Brampton, so they don't seem to be completely clueless.

But by no means do I think it's a slam dunk that things will be better under this ownership than the previous ownership. As has been pointed out by others, there is still the matter of finding a permanent home (even if it's putting a flag in the ground at the current stadium and not constantly flirting with the idea of leaving behind what should be their current fanbase) and of course, just because your relatives are competent, doesn't mean you are competent. For all I know there could be a favoured brother that will take over Club America or something, while these guys are hidden up in the frozen tundra with a team nobody will notice or care about.

Well said.

This announcement is encouraging on three fronts.  First, that it removes the possibility of a second league-owned team (understandably) folding.  Second, that a new ownership group stepped up to join the league, given how there's been a gap in drawing in new groups.  Maybe this will encourage potential expansion teams.  Third, that they apparently still believe in the Toronto market so they aren't taking up another potential expansion location.

On the downside, as you point out, it doesn't magically solve any of the issues that have caused York problems in the first place.

Don't know if it has been reported, but Mexican sources say this group visited in May, and spoke to Noonan and the CPL. 

A call from the Executive Director of the Mexican Football Federation to Noonan apparently advanced the CPL's interest in negotiating. 

The way they speak of the proximity of quality players, such as emerging out of Brampton, you wonder if they are thinking that sourcing young talent (and selling on) is a possible motivation. 

They also mention the ease of doing preseasons in Monterrey, for example.

This article also mentions Woodbine at the end as a project of interest. 

https://news.eseuro.com/trends/2662745.html

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

From the CPL article.

“We are an ambitious group that has lived and breathed soccer all our lives, and we plan to make a massive contribution to growing the game in Canada. On the field, we not only expect to deliver trophies to this club by building competitive squads that will fight for championships year in and year out, but to simultaneously develop the next generation of soccer stars through an ambitious plan to invest in young athletes that will get more Canadians involved in the game. Off the field, we are committed to understanding the needs of our supporters and the community to create a better fan experience for all. By making a permanent move to Canada with our families, we will be able to ingrain ourselves into the fabric of the area. We can’t wait to build a special legacy within this club and this community. We are all in on Canadian soccer.”

They are saying the right things. Fingers crossed it works out as well as they are talking about.

https://canpl.ca/article/york-united-fc-purchased-by-world-class-ownership-group-game-plan-sports-group

...The ownership group has deep ties to, and expertise in, soccer and shares a passion for playing their part in growing the game on the field in Canada, generating opportunities off it for Canadians and building and elevating the community around the club. The group consists of several other prominent investors from Mexico, including a pair of respected family offices with experience in the consumer goods and retail sectors who are connected to two multinational companies, one of them with a strong presence in Ontario and Canada...

Maybe the Pasquel brothers aren't the FEMSA angle then? Neither FEMSA or CF Monterrey appear to rate a mention in the official press release.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't know if it has been reported, but Mexican sources say this group visited in May, and spoke to Noonan and the CPL. 

A call from the Executive Director of the Mexican Football Federation to Noonan apparently advanced the CPL's interest in negotiating. 

The way they speak of the proximity of quality players, such as emerging out of Brampton, you wonder if they are thinking that sourcing young talent (and selling on) is a possible motivation. 

They also mention the ease of doing preseasons in Monterrey, for example.

This article also mentions Woodbine at the end as a project of interest. 

https://news.eseuro.com/trends/2662745.html

I think this article just sourced the Athletic one. All the same information in that one.

Personally I'm excited to see how they plan to turn things around. 
I'm pessimistic about the reality that they are essentially keeping things status quo for year 6 of the franchise.

For me, I feel because things won't change immediately (brand, playing location) I would've preferred that this deal stayed silent until the new ownership was ready to start with those changes and tangible commitments.

Theres a band aid feeling rather than a complete surgery.... and it's hard to be optimistic without hearing concrete plans out the gate.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me, I feel because things won't change immediately (brand, playing location) I would've preferred that this deal stayed silent until the new ownership was ready to start with those changes and tangible commitments.

Lots of people complain about the level of transparency with the league. Keeping new ownership under wraps wouldn't be good for anybody.

It makes sense for them to spend a season getting their feet before making major changes.

12 hours ago, Big_M said:

still doesnt say how those three or the other investors are world class as far as owning a soccer team...sounds like none of them actually owned one...hopefully works out well 

This could be a complete fiasco (there are already a few red flags in that regard) or they'll find a way to put a Latino spin on things that could draw from a significant niche audience across the GTA and have pockets deep enough to be willing to let it grow slowly from there. By Canadians For Canadians didn't work for York 9 so hopefully the league would be willing to let Mexican owners try a radically different marketing approach if they chose to move in another direction.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 12/1/2023 at 1:26 AM, Stoppage Time said:

Pursuant to UT's call for a prolific young striker in CPL, perhaps new ownership at York has a strong connection in Mexico, which could, perhaps, arrange for promising young CPL Canadians to train with, or be loaned to, a Mexican club in the off season.

I think At Ottawa sent those couple of players down to train with their Atlético affiliate in Liga MX, At San Luis. Don't know how it went though. Then they do a preseason in Spain and play good rivals, and hold their own even. 

I really have no idea how development is in Mexico, I think the success is mostly sheer numbers and a density of pro teams. But I have no idea if we'd develop players by having them train in Mexican youth academies or on reserve teams. 

All the audio (31 minutes) from December 7, 2023 CPL press conference introducing the new owners of York United FC. The Pasquel brothers from Mexico take over immediately.  They answered questions of their plans for the team etc. 

December 7, 2023...Press Conference to introduce new owners of York United FC (recorded by Rocket Robin) (rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com)

29 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

All the audio (31 minutes) from December 7, 2023 CPL press conference introducing the new owners of York United FC. The Pasquel brothers from Mexico take over immediately.  They answered questions of their plans for the team etc. 

December 7, 2023...Press Conference to introduce new owners of York United FC (recorded by Rocket Robin) (rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com)

Anything illuminating?

Think this investment was their ticket into Canada with PR status without having to meet the requirements where the points system is concerned. Still no details as to what their relevant experience is:

...“We’ve watched a lot of soccer since we were little kids. Soccer is our passion, we played soccer, we are soccer guys,” said Eduardo Pasquel...

Yes, but have you as opposed to your grandfather or whoever ever played or coached at a high level and do you have any experience of running a pro sports team if you plan to actually do this yourselves hands on in a country you have never lived in before would be the obvious follow ups to that. All talk of CF Monterrey appears to have completely slipped off the radar screen now.