York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think this investment was their ticket into Canada with PR status without having to meet the requirements where the points system is concerned. Still no details as to what their relevant experience is:

...“We’ve watched a lot of soccer since we were little kids. Soccer is our passion, we played soccer, we are soccer guys,” said Eduardo Pasquel...

Yes, but have you as opposed to your grandfather or whoever ever played or coached at a high level and do you have any experience of running a pro sports team if you plan to actually do this yourselves hands on in a country you have never lived in before would be the obvious follow ups to that. All talk of CF Monterrey appears to have completely slipped off the radar screen now.

That's fine.  I don't expect the people with money to necessarily do the soccer work themselves - as long as they are committed and hire the people with the soccer knowledge.  I'll give this group the benefit of the doubt and see what they actually do.

4 minutes ago, Kingston said:

That's fine.  I don't expect the people with money to necessarily do the soccer work themselves...

Have you actually read the articles on the CPL website?

https://canpl.ca/article/were-up-for-the-challenge-pasquel-brothers-lay-out-vision-for-future-of-york-united-fc

...The Pasquels and their families will be moving to Toronto, with Miguel taking on the aforementioned role as Chief Commercial Officer, Eduardo will serve as CEO and Ricardo will be President and General Manager. This will allow the brothers to be heavily involved in all facets of the club moving forward...

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Have you actually read the articles on the CPL website?

https://canpl.ca/article/were-up-for-the-challenge-pasquel-brothers-lay-out-vision-for-future-of-york-united-fc

...The Pasquels and their families will be moving to Toronto, with Miguel taking on the aforementioned role as Chief Commercial Officer, Eduardo will serve as CEO and Ricardo will be President and General Manager. This will allow the brothers to be heavily involved in all facets of the club moving forward...

The titles of CEO and President mean nothing for day to day soccer operations.  In any company, people in those roles provide high level direction, not detailed decision making.  I'd expect them to be more involved in trying to sort out York's problems with things like marketing, making sure the finances are in place, and so on.  The 80% of running a business that is identical whether your business is a soccer team, a restaurant, or a plumbing shop.

GM, yes, but even there I expect Eduardo to hire and lean on experienced soccer people for the actual work.

As I said, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see what develops.

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Did you make it all the way to the point where Ricardo plans to be General Manager and "all facets of the club"? That implies roster decisions will be made by one of these guys.

I take that as them trying to show everyone how seriously they are taking their ownership by telling everyone they will be personally involved.  And if one of them (or both) will be involved in roster decisions that is their prerogative as owners.  I don't seriously believe that Eduardo will be sitting there picking the roster all by his lonesome - do you?

And do you think this ownership group will do a worse job than the CPL running the league itself on a shoestring with loaned in players just to keep a team in the GTA?

Let's see how they do before getting too worried about the soccer credentials of two specific people who are putting up the money to save the franchise and trying to put a face on the team.

14 hours ago, Kingston said:

...Let's see how they do before getting too worried about the soccer credentials of two specific people who are putting up the money to save the franchise and trying to put a face on the team.

If this was happening at an MLS club, odds on at least some of the same people who are liking this post would already be ridiculing this move. Meanwhile all I actually did was suggest what the follow-up questions should be if Canada had something vaguely resembling sports journalism where soccer is concerned.

Guess it's because CanPL has Canadian in its name. Some people feel an emotional need to defend anything and everything the league does even though its a private business rather than a federal institution and has done diddlysquat to promote core Canadian values where key constitutional principles such as bilingualism are concerned.

8 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If this was happening at an MLS club, odds on at least some of the same people who are liking this post would already be ridiculing this move. Meanwhile all I actually did was suggest what the follow-up questions should be if Canada had something vaguely resembling sports journalism where soccer is concerned.

Guess it's because CanPL has Canadian in its name. Some people feel an emotional need to defend anything and everything the league does even though its a private business rather than a federal institution and has done diddlysquat to promote core Canadian values where key constitutional principles such as bilingualism are concerned.

The irony of this is many MLS teams have terrible, Out of their depth, management teams that survive for years. Bill Manning at TFC is a great example and I could name quite a few more 

Edited by narduch

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you're so ashamed of being Canadian then get the fuck out. You provide nothing of substance...be it the forum or Canada in general.

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I don't know how you continue on like this day after day for years

So to sum up it seems a bit strange to me that the GM of York United next season taking over from Angus McNab in that capacity is apparently going to be somebody from Mexico with no prior experience of working in pro soccer.

Pointing this out has led to all kinds of bizarre responses probably because the league has Canadian in its name and that means thou shalt not criticize it in any way in the minds of some posters on here.

I am of the opinion that the sensible thing for these new Mexican owners to do would be to hire someone from the GTA who has played and coached the game to a high standard for the GM role. Ideally the person hired should have an intimate knowledge not only of CanPL but also of leagues like L1O and the OSL.

Can anyone find a flaw in that line of reasoning? 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Are CPL players allowed to play in OSA-sanctioned leagues in their offseason?
Apparently my friends team that we are going to play has signed a current York United player and I'm trying to see if it's legal lol because this guy is lethal in indoor nvm being a pro player.

31 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If he's out of contract right now it's probably fine. Played against guys like Semir Mesanovic back in the day in indoor in London, Ont. Even remember Dwayne de Rosario being down for an indoor tournament one time probably when he was in the USL before he signed with San Jose.

he's on a deal through the end of 2024. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So to sum up it seems a bit strange to me that the GM of York United next season taking over from Angus McNab in that capacity is apparently going to be somebody from Mexico with no prior experience of working in pro soccer.

Pointing this out has led to all kinds of bizarre responses probably because the league has Canadian in its name and that means thou shalt not criticize it in any way in the minds of some posters on here.

I am of the opinion that the sensible thing for these new Mexican owners to do would be to hire someone from the GTA who has played and coached the game to a high standard for the GM role. Ideally the person hired should have an intimate knowledge not only of CanPL but also of leagues like L1O and the OSL.

Can anyone find a flaw in that line of reasoning? 

You mean like Martin Nash and Estaquio's brother, who I think I read they have retained?

9 minutes ago, Ivan said:

You mean like Martin Nash and Estaquio's brother, who I think I read they have retained?

Seems like this is going to be his new hobby horse.

The point of the lack of experience is valid.

But OTP never met a horse he couldn't continually beat to death

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Seems like thus is going to be his new hobby horse.

The point of the lack of experience is valid.

But OTP never met a horse he couldn't continually beat to death

For sure, Ozzie's point is valid.  Just offering him a counter (as he requested) regarding his reasoning.

IIRC, both Nash and Mauro have been around the CPL since the beginning, and many years in USL before that.  Surely they have Canadian connections the Mexicans can use as a resource. 

55 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Well you would like to think that the three Mexican brothers weren't planning on doing the coaching as well as filling Angus McNab's general manager role next summer. Having the appropriate coaching licenses would be a stumbling block in that facet of the club's operations for a start. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Well you would like to think that the three Mexican brothers weren't planning on doing the coaching as well as filling Angus McNab's general manager role next summer. Having the appropriate coaching licenses would be a stumbling block in that facet of the club's operations for a start. 

No, definitely nothing to do with coaching.  But they could rely on those two for knowledge of the Canadian game as you alluded to in your previous post? 

Maybe instead of having a Dundee supporting Londoner based in New York or some rich dude from Mexico with no relevant prior experience as GM York United could try having somebody from the GTA who knows the GTA soccer scene and what goes on leagues like L1O and the OSL in a way that two coaches brought in from Calgary likely don't?

York United should have the inside track on recruiting from Canada's top hotbed of soccer talent but have never been able to take advantage of that to the extent they should have been able to. But really the last page or so has been the usual hysterics related to people with a nationalist mindset being much more concerned about the issue of who should have the right to express an opinion about CanPL on here rather than what was actually being written. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

45 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe instead of having a Dundee supporting Londoner based in New York or some rich dude from Mexico with no relevant prior experience as GM York United could try having somebody from the GTA who knows the GTA soccer scene and what goes on leagues like L1O and the OSL in a way that two coaches brought in from Calgary likely don't?

York United should have the inside track on recruiting from Canada's top hotbed of soccer talent but have never been able to take advantage of that to the extent they should have been able to. But really the last page or so has been the usual hysterics related to people with a nationalist mindset being much more concerned about the issue of who should have the right to express an opinion about CanPL on here rather than what was actually being written. 

Get your point on Nash, but he has been in the league for all 5 years. Mauro is an Ontario boy and played for the Fury in their last iteration I believe. And isn't Isacco somewhat involved with that club as well?  Anyway, I see your point in a bubble, but even if those people aren't already in the organization, a quick hire or two can easily fix it.

12 hours ago, Shway said:

Are CPL players allowed to play in OSA-sanctioned leagues in their offseason?
Apparently my friends team that we are going to play has signed a current York United player and I'm trying to see if it's legal lol because this guy is lethal in indoor nvm being a pro player.

I played against a CPL player last winter. I didn't complain to the league or anything to check if it's legal. My advice is to enjoy it. It's neat to be able to play against a pro, even if you aren't near their level, and ultimately your men's league results don't actually matter. Just tell the guy you know who he is and ask for a picture with him, and enjoy the game. It'll make your day and his.