September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I dunno guys, but a few of us on here felt bankruptcy was the best option months ago.  I feel it'd be worse to keep the status quo.

Surely we have an accountant or two in here, what exactly does that mean for soccer in Canada?  Contracts nullified, assets frozen for how long, no spending, no games etc for how long?  How many lawsuits and how much legal wrangling are we in for??  I've worked for a big company that went bankrupt, really bankrupt not just we dont have the money to run the program we wanted to, but Deloite and Touche come in, sell all assets, fire everyone and creditors get 10cents on the dollar.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Surely we have an accountant or two in here, what exactly does that mean for soccer in Canada?  Contracts nullified, assets frozen for how long, no spending, no games etc for how long?  How many lawsuits and how much legal wrangling are we in for??  I've worked for a big company that went bankrupt, really bankrupt not just we dont have the money to run the program we wanted to, but Deloite and Touche come in, sell all assets, fire everyone and creditors get 10cents on the dollar.  

My experience (professionally, not personally) is the business gets a chance to keep running, while avoiding interest being paid on interest.  if anything, it's a boost, cause you're not bleeding money paying creditors.  So you can keep paying salaries and doing your thing (including spending).  However it gives you the opportunity to renegotiate contracts with partners, suppliers, etc... (eh-hem CSB).

CSA will come out of this stronger.

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It appears to be a false alarm according to the Globe and Mail article where De Vos does a 180.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Honestly playing those two nations for the heck of it doesn’t make sense either. If they are paying then cool. If not, might as well save the money, and put it towards a proper November camp or turn it to a domestic camp to “save”money. 

Hate to say it, but you're probably right. Much as I want two friendlies, we have to get our house in order. A domestic camp could be a good middle ground, where we aren't inactive but get to save money. Play some unofficial training matches instead, if not play a smaller nation with a lower guest fee. Hold it at a neutral venue if it's more cost efficient. Could actually be a good way to run a different type of camp where we build out the base of our pool, rather than preparing the top or developing the middle, which is what Gold Cup is shaping up to be.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Oman and Uzbekistan after being turned down for Saudi Arabia and South Korea. Canada trying to find a friendly is like Connor trying to find an ambassadorship. (This joke is killer for a certain group of people).

Too car bomby. 

We need to get back to whatever we were doing from 2003-2005.

In 2003 we played Germany, Finland, Czech Republic, Ireland. In 2004 we played Wales, in 2005, Northern Ireland, Portugal and Spain. 

I get the landscape is different with nations league and those were all road games. But we have a much better team than then so you would think we can attract those teams again. Also, a good home attendance then for us was 7000 at swangard. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

We need to get back to whatever we were doing from 2003-2005.

In 2003 we played Germany, Finland, Czech Republic, Ireland. In 2004 we played Wales, in 2005, Northern Ireland, Portugal and Spain. 

I get the landscape is different with nations league and those were all road games. But we have a much better team than then so you would think we can attract those teams again. Also, a good home attendance then for us was 7000 at swangard. 

With the current UEFA competition setup, it makes it almost impossible to play European sides in friendlies as they have qualifiers or Nations league games in almost every window.  The first chance may be next year in March when Euro playoffs are on, and then in the immediate lead up to Euros.

16 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

With the current UEFA competition setup, it makes it almost impossible to play European sides in friendlies as they have qualifiers or Nations league games in almost every window.  The first chance may be next year in March when Euro playoffs are on, and then in the immediate lead up to Euros.

Yes, which is what I mentioned. My main point was that we were 1) worse and 2) less popular and we managed to land very quality opponents with what I assume was less funds than we have today because of the fallout from the wc. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Yes, which is what I mentioned. My main point was that we were 1) worse and 2) less popular and we managed to land very quality opponents with what I assume was less funds than we have today because of the fallout from the wc. 

I think the only additional consideration is that the cost of friendlies has probably grown significantly since then.

Good ol' SUM.

Mexico will play Australia and Uzbekistan in the USA.

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/2023/07/06/mexico-ya-tiene-rivales-para-septiembre-australia-y-uzbekistan-enfrentaran-al-tricolor-en-eeuu/

That means if we have the money for it,

Oman and Australia will both be in North America for friendlies and free for 1 match each.

Uzbekistan are fully booked as they are also playing the USA.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Good ol' SUM.

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/2023/07/06/mexico-ya-tiene-rivales-para-septiembre-australia-y-uzbekistan-enfrentaran-al-tricolor-en-eeuu/

Oman and Australia will both be in North America for friendlies and free for 1 match each.

Play in Canada and get the gate money!!

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Good ol' SUM.

Nice work.

So that's it then. Canada will surely be playing friendly matches against Oman and Australia, right?

RIGHT?

In all seriousness, Oman and Australia would be a very good window for us. Proper tests and you could run out a first choice line up against the Aussies, but an experimental team against Oman. Sounds like just want we need to build our depth while also preparing for the NL quarter finals. Could also be a good chance to build back some momentum, along with our reputation, which we want to see back to where it deserves after emerging as an upstart power from CONCACAF.

23-man Squad I would call for such a window:

GK - Borjan (Slovan Bratislava)

GK - St. Clair (Minnesota)

GK - Sirois (Montreal) ...it's time btw

D - Laryea (La Liga?)

D - Johnston (Celtic)

D - Zator (Korona Kielce)

D - McGraw (Portland)

D - Vitoria (Chaves)

D - Cornelius (Malmo)

D - Miller (Inter Miami)

D - Adekugbe (Galatasaray?)

M - Eustaquio (Porto)

M - Kone (Watford)

M - Loturi (Ross County)

M - Ahmed (Vancouver)

M - Bombito (Colorado)

M - Nelson (Rosenborg)

F - David (Juve?)

F - Ugbo (Cardiff City)

F - Davies (Bayern)

F - Buchanan (Inter?)

F - Millar (Basel)

F - Corbeanu (Grasshopper)

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Part of me wants to say done with Borjan and Vitoria after this Gold Cup.
I love Borjan specifically and his love for Canada...but it's time to say good bye and go with the young.

The October window intrigues me because you might get newbies who have been making a fresh impact at club level in the new Euro season or have added to their cv in the rest of the MLS season.  Staying with incumbents past their due date because they know the system or are good locker room guys has many pitfalls.  Also, younger starters or back ups who aren't making it happen at club level need to have their places in the squad closely scrutinized.  It is too easy for a "brotherhood"* to become a "clique."

To scaffold onto @Watchmen's Succession joke in a different thread,  we need to retool key parts of the roster, and both September but especially October are good times to do it.

*that will be the last time I use this term:  I'm tired of hearing it.  Use a thesaurus.

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The October window intrigues me because you might get newbies who have been making a fresh impact at club level in the new Euro season or have added to their cv in the rest of the MLS season.  Staying with incumbents past their due date because they know the system or are good locker room guys has many pitfalls.  Also, younger starters or back ups who aren't making it happen at club level need to have their places in the squad closely scrutinized.  It is too easy for a "brotherhood"* to become a "clique."

To scaffold onto @Watchmen's Succession joke in a different thread,  we need to retool key parts of the roster, and both September but especially October are good times to do it.

*that will be the last time I use this term:  I'm tired of hearing it.  Use a thesaurus.

I move that we abolish the terms “brotherhood” and any iteration of “xD chess”.