September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Any dates pinned down yet? 

We would likely host the return match (end of the Women's September window).

That would put us at somewhere between Sunday, September 24th and Tuesday, September 26th.

As @JamboAl  said, just in terms of travel, after returning from Jamaica, Toronto has an advantage, although the Argos play at BMO Field that weekend.

So the Tuesday, 26th seems the most likely to me.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 4/15/2023 at 9:54 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The list of teams that are free in September/October by ranking, that are ranked above us:

11. Morocco (we played them at the World Cup)
13. USA (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
14. Germany
15. Mexico (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
18. Senegal
20. Japan (we played them in November - unlikely to play them again)
24. Iran (we won't play them for geopolitical reasons and the fact that we cancelled on them)
27. South Korea
28. Tunisia
29. Australia
34. Algeria
35. Egypt

39. Costa Rica (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
40. Nigeria
42. Cameroon
43. Turkey
45. Côte d'Ivoire

47. Canada

Wales will host South Korea in a friendly match in September:

https://www.kfa.or.kr/layer_popup/popup_live.php?act=news_tv_detail&idx=25291&div_code=news&check_url=bGF5ZXI

https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/cymru-face-korea-republic-first-time/

They are now off the list.

Germany have still not announced which team they will host in Wolfsburg in September so I am holding out hope that it will be us. We could then play South Korea on neutral ground in Germany (Korea's coach is Jürgen Klinsmann!). The Korea release specifically says that they are looking for a 2nd team to play and that it will be a non-European team but that they will play in Europe on neutral ground. We last played South Korea in November 2016. https://canadasoccer.com/national-team-match-past/?matchId=1417

That is about the best outcome we can hope for for September except perhaps the fact that Turkey have also not announced who they will play in September.

September Match 1: Germany?

September Match 2: South Korea (in Germany) ? or Turkey ( in Turkey) ?

Germany would be such a good matchup. Where they're at, they really need to beat the brakes off a solid enough opponent in front of their home fans, but even though they're a world power, they still have enough weaknesses for Canada to hypothetically pull off an upset. Plus we have one of the most recognizable players in Germany on our team, it just really makes sense. Tunisia or Algeria in Montreal would be a really cool match up too, except nowhere to really play it; I doubt we use Saputo as a national stadium for a high key friendly.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Germany would be such a good matchup. Where they're at, they really need to beat the brakes off a solid enough opponent in front of their home fans, but even though they're a world power, they still have enough weaknesses for Canada to hypothetically pull off an upset. Plus we have one of the most recognizable players in Germany on our team, it just really makes sense. Tunisia or Algeria in Montreal would be a really cool match up too, except nowhere to really play it; I doubt we use Saputo as a national stadium for a high key friendly.

Playing Tunisia or Algeria in Montreal would be like Honduras circa 2008.

Just now, JamboAl said:

Playing Tunisia or Algeria in Montreal would be like Honduras circa 2008.

Yeah, I thought about that, I guess I’m hoping we’ve developed enough over the last few years, we have enough travelling fans and Montreal is big enough to make it a bonafide home game, but regardless, either of those teams would be very well represented in the stands, that’s for sure.

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I thought about that, I guess I’m hoping we’ve developed enough over the last few years, we have enough travelling fans and Montreal is big enough to make it a bonafide home game, but regardless, either of those teams would be very well represented in the stands, that’s for sure.

It won't be Honduras 2008, but in no way would it be a bona-fide home game either. 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Germany have still not announced which team they will host in Wolfsburg in September so I am holding out hope that it will be us.

It's not us. :(

Germany will host Japan.

https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/dfb-team-trifft-auf-japan-vizeweltmeister-frankreich-und-usa-251948/

https://www.jfa.jp/news/00032218/

This means that there aren't any Tier 1 teams left for the first part of the September window except perhaps African teams who may be busy with CAF qualifying.  :(

57 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Did anyone actually expect anything different? I would be shocked if we are playing someone better than Guatamala and T&T.

Serious question: If we cannot get a tier 1 match up, do we just forego it all together and save our cash, or do we call up an experimental squad to grow our depth?

We are not learning anything by playing mid-level concacaf teams, but they'd be great opportunities to call up guys like Rutty, Russel-Rowe, Priso, etc. That said, I can totally see Herdman wanting that window to prep for the NL Copa qualifier - it's just that calling our main guys back across the pond is unlikely - unless of course it's the right opponent.  

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Serious question: If we cannot get a tier 1 match up, do we just forego it all together and save our cash, or do we call up an experimental squad to grow our depth?

We are not learning anything by playing mid-level concacaf teams, but they'd be great opportunities to call up guys like Rutty, Russel-Rowe, Priso, etc. That said, I can totally see Herdman wanting that window to prep for the NL Copa qualifier - it's just that calling our main guys back across the pond is unlikely - unless of course it's the right opponent.  

If we play no games I think Herdman starts to question his future with the program.

16 minutes ago, Cblake said:

USA Germany in Harford in October. USA Ghana in Nashville. Would be a nice set of opponents for Canada to take on the opposite dates. These type of announcements really show how behind the eight ball the CSA is. They need to put the team in the best position for success. 

May be an image of 1 person, playing soccer, playing football and text that says 'MU MATCH ANNOUNCEMENT pappH INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLIES USA THERLAND 3DECEMDER202 6 USA vS GERMANY USA vS GHANA OCTOBER 14 PM ET EAST HARTFORD, PRATT & WHITNEY STADIUM PRESENTED BY AT&T 5G OCTOBER 17+ 8:30 PM ET NASHVILLE, TN GEODIS PARK 三1ህህን'

Hell, I'd take a game against even just one of them.  CSB, step in and help out here (for a percentage...)

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Hell, I'd take a game against even just one of them.  CSB, step in and help out here (for a percentage...)

Ive never thought of this but is CSB in charge or could be in charge of setting up friendlies? I am sure the CSA would handle the logistics but is negotiating a friendly within the scope of a marketing company? 

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Ive never thought of this but is CSB in charge or could be in charge of setting up friendlies? I am sure the CSA would handle the logistics but is negotiating a friendly within the scope of a marketing company? 

SUM did (does?) it in the US.  I do not think it was within the scope of the initial contract.  But, there's nothing saying the CSA couldn't request assistance with line up friendlies from them.  Again, for a price (like a percentage of the gate).  I'd see that as a scenario where everyone wins.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If Earl Cochrane was responsible for the previous friendly negotiations (definitely the case prior to the World Cup), who is handling that responsibility now that he's gone? Is there an acting CEO? I've genuinely lost track with all the departures.

I believe Jason DeVos has taken over for Cochrane on an interim basis. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/opinion/2023/05/24/trust-issues-severe-cash-shortages-internal-politics-can-new-general-secretary-jason-devos-save-canada-soccer.html

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

USA Germany in Harford in October. USA Ghana in Nashville. Would be a nice set of opponents for Canada to take on the opposite dates. These type of announcements really show how behind the eight ball the CSA is. They need to put the team in the best position for success. 

May be an image of 1 person, playing soccer, playing football and text that says 'MU MATCH ANNOUNCEMENT pappH INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLIES USA THERLAND 3DECEMDER202 6 USA vS GERMANY USA vS GHANA OCTOBER 14 PM ET EAST HARTFORD, PRATT & WHITNEY STADIUM PRESENTED BY AT&T 5G OCTOBER 17+ 8:30 PM ET NASHVILLE, TN GEODIS PARK 三1ህህን'

Ghana vs Canada I hope or Canada vs Nigeria or Egypt

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Would be a nice set of opponents for Canada to take on the opposite dates. 

46 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Ghana vs Canada I hope or Canada vs Nigeria or Egypt

The rumour is Mexico will play Germany in Chicago. I assume Mexico will play Ghana in the USA as well.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/opinion/barra-brava/la-seleccion-mexicana-enfrentara-a-alemania-en-chicago

I think we will be away in October.

Wasnt someone speculating on whether the CSA/Player mess has hurt the program? Well there it is, you back out of friendlies, air your dirty laundry, get the goverment involved in the women vs men funding beef, guess what?  You cant find a dance partner anywhere.  We'll end up playing some 3 rate friendlies if at all.  

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The rumour is Mexico will play Germany in Chicago. I assume Mexico will play Ghana is the USA as well.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.eluniversal.com.mx/opinion/barra-brava/la-seleccion-mexicana-enfrentara-a-alemania-en-chicago

I think we will be away in October.

I agree and it's probably down to logistics. Go where the teams (and players) are. That said, I really wish we could be hosting two games at BMO, or Saputo, or even BC place, and have 2 decent opponents.

We are not USA or Mexico off the pitch, I know that, but I am sure envous over the kind of matches they routinely get for friendlies. Meanwhile we'll be lucky to get any games at all.

We've really closed the gap on the field - it's a shame we haven't done so off the field.