September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We'll end up playing some 3 rate friendlies if at all.  

It certainly feels that way but their are still options; it's just that they are more complicated. The CSA has played in North Africa before. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/morocco-4-canada-0-international-friendly-match-recap

Could we be bold enough to do it again?

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It certainly feels that way but their are still options; it's just that they are more complicated. The CSA has played in North Africa before. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/morocco-4-canada-0-international-friendly-match-recap

Could we be bold enough to do it again?

Yup this time against the rising nation of …..ETHIOPA! 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yup this time against the rising nation of …..ETHIOPA! 

Hey, don't mock Ethiopia! They are actually spending real money to travel to the USA and face a CONCACAF side this July.

https://guyanachronicle.com/2023/05/21/golden-jaguars-to-play-ethiopia-in-friendly-in-july/

Maybe the CSA could learn something from them! ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wasnt someone speculating on whether the CSA/Player mess has hurt the program? Well there it is, you back out of friendlies, air your dirty laundry, get the goverment involved in the women vs men funding beef, guess what?  You cant find a dance partner anywhere.  We'll end up playing some 3 rate friendlies if at all.  

They weren't exactly booking friendlies before.  It took them months to announce the Iran match, and that was before anything came out.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree and it's probably down to logistics. Go where the teams (and players) are. That said, I really wish we could be hosting two games at BMO, or Saputo, or even BC place, and have 2 decent opponents.

We are not USA or Mexico off the pitch, I know that, but I am sure envous over the kind of matches they routinely get for friendlies. Meanwhile we'll be lucky to get any games at all.

We've really closed the gap on the field - it's a shame we haven't done so off the field.  

Vancouver/BC Place is owed a good friendly.  I don't think people really realize how absolutely furious the casual fan was about that whole experience.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They weren't exactly booking friendlies before.  It took them months to announce the Iran match, and that was before anything came out.

Exactly, coming off that historic run, we still had problems lining up a decent friendly and its been nothing but keystone cops with gov hearings that go nowhere, gender equality issues and finger pointing with half the CSA quitting.  So I doubt any of that is going to make friendlies any easier or quicker to line up than they were in the previous 4-5 years.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Exactly, coming off that historic run, we still had problems lining up a decent friendly and its been nothing but keystone cops with gov hearings that go nowhere, gender equality issues and finger pointing with half the CSA quitting.  So I doubt any of that is going to make friendlies any easier or quicker to line up than they were in the previous 4-5 years.  

And my point is that I don't think it matters as much as you do.  Money is still the issue, and they don't have any.  I don't think most federations care about all the rest, so long as they get paid.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

And my point is that I don't think it matters as much as you do.  Money is still the issue, and they don't have any.  I don't think most federations care about all the rest, so long as they get paid.

Has nothing to do with the players but some posters want to keep pretending it matters so they can continue to blame the players.  

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, there are plenty of dysfunctional federations out there. You can be dysfunctional in FIFA, you just can't be broke.

1 hour ago, Metro said:

^^ Let's not be too pessimistic.  The list of friendlies Canada was able to corral for just being geographically beside the World Cup hosts in '94 was pretty impressive.

But that didn't happen until just before the tournament. Right now, it's about having friendlies in place for Copa qualifying.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

But that didn't happen until just before the tournament. Right now, it's about having friendlies in place for Copa qualifying.

Exactly. Assuming we aren't travelling to Africa and African teams aren't playing a match on two continents in September (these are big assumptions) that means that for the first part of the September window there will be almost no non-CONCACAF nations left to play that are ranked above us.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:54 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

13. USA (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
15. Mexico (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
24. Iran (we won't play them for geopolitical reasons and the fact that we cancelled on them)
29. Australia
39. Costa Rica (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
43. Turkey
47. Canada

:(

44 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Exactly. Assuming we aren't travelling to Africa and African teams aren't playing a match on two continents in September (these are big assumptions) that means that for the first part of the September window there will be almost no non-CONCACAF nations left to play that are ranked above us.

:(

Why wouldn't/couldn't we play Costa Rica? 

Also, I wouldn't be upset with Australia or Turkey, assuming they are available (since you've labeled them green). 

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why wouldn't/couldn't we play Costa Rica?

If it is at home or in Costa Rica that's decent but the objective was to play non-CONCACAF teams as the opportunities are limited to face those other nations. Playing Costa Rica on neutral ground in Europe would feel weird.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

48 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think  the fact we have no info or rumors on games in the fall should be concerning.

I disagree because

1) There are no rumours about Mexico's plans, Costa Rica's plans or the USA'S plans for the September window yet.

2) Rumours never leak from our side (except under 24 hours before, from Gareth Wheeler 😆) , so we are always the last to know what is going on.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I disagree because

1) There are no rumours about Mexico's plans, Costa Rica's plans or the USA'S plans for the September window yet.

2) Rumours never leak from our side (except under 24 hours before, from Gareth Wheeler 😆) , so we are always the last to know what is going on.

The US have already announced October plans.