September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would everyone be okay if we play Mexico in a friendly at BMO or BC Place, charged $150-200 a ticket and had it filled with 80% away fans?  Cause it would sell out at $150 a ticket guaranteed.  Cause I think that’s the only way you make money off of these things.

I think the short term gain of a game that drives decent revenue is not worth the long term hit of having Canadians watch our so-called golden generation go back to our dog days where we all these teams would come to Canada and their fans would act like the home crowd. I think a lot of casuals watching that game will just think that Canada still isn't good and there isn't much to cheer for, and disconnect.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think the short term gain of a game that drives decent revenue is not worth the long term hit of having Canadians watch our so-called golden generation go back to our dog days where we all these teams would come to Canada and their fans would act like the home crowd. I think a lot of casuals watching that game will just think that Canada still isn't good and there isn't much to cheer for, and disconnect.

The USA does this and they’re just fine.

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Good news, someone editing the team’s Wikipedia entry has decided that we’re playing South Korea in the same window.

Same IP as the person who penciled in our Japan friendly?

South Korea + Japan would be a dope window. Considering how shit out federation has been, I would be willing to overlook an empty September window if we secure both SK and JP in October.

That being said, why can't we play a CONCACAF team in September at least? I know NL is on the go, but surely someone in our confederation would want to squeeze in a friendly against Canada. He'll, I would take a match against Bermuda with our B team. Anything to keep the momentum. As a fan it sucks to be inactive for what amounts to be an own goal from the CSA. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

South Korea + Japan would be a dope window. Considering how shit out federation has been, I would be willing to overlook an empty September window if we secure both SK and JP in October.

That being said, why can't we play a CONCACAF team in September at least? I know NL is on the go, but surely someone in our confederation would want to squeeze in a friendly against Canada. He'll, I would take a match against Bermuda with our B team. Anything to keep the momentum. As a fan it sucks to be inactive for what amounts to be an own goal from the CSA. 

The person who made the edit appears to be a Tunisian fan as they also edited their friendlies to have them playing South Korea and Japan in the same window. Given this, I’d say it’s fair to suspect they have some insider knowledge. 

41 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yes, 1000% yes. I also think 80% away fans is generous. We have an established season ticket holder-like base of 12,000 fans that make it out no matter the opponent and I’d expect that would grow with an opponent like Mexico. 

Mexican-Americans/Canadians will pay that.  From my experience, most of our fans would balk at the cost or hesitate and by the time, they decide, all the tickets would be gone.  Having been in Vegas to watch US-Mexico, 80% away fans could be the floor of the support.

32 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

So, again, would you refuse to explain why?

Any smart media consultant would tell you to dance around the issue and not give a direct answer which would make your organization look poorly. or even more poorly.  That's how I would have answered.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Mexican-Americans/Canadians will pay that.  From my experience, most of our fans would balk at the cost or hesitate and by the time, they decide, all the tickets would be gone.  Having been in Vegas to watch US-Mexico, 80% away fans could be the floor of the support.

What do you have to pay Mexico to come here this fall to play?

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

There are no CONCACAF teams!

All are playing Nations League except,

USA: Uzbekistan + Oman

Mexico: Australia + Uzbekistan

Costa Rica: United Arab Emirates + Saudi Arabia (in Europe)

https://elmundo.cr/deportes/costa-rica-cerca-de-concretar-dos-fogueos-para-el-mes-de-septiembre/

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I was there as well but that’s Vegas. It would be over 50% certainly but there would be a ton of Canadians wanting to see this game too. 

44 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

What do you have to pay Mexico to come here this fall to play?

That’s a good question.  Probably way too much and they’d want a significant cut of the revenue.  In fact, they might say that if we want to play them to do so in the US.

47 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The USA does this and they’re just fine.

That's true, but the US is also farther along in having their country adopt their national team than we are. Plus, >10% of americans are from Mexico or have Mexican ancestry, so I think it's a lot more acceptable for them to play to an overwhelmingly Mexican crowd in the US than it would be for us. Maybe I'm just skeptical, but I feel like Canada at large is just waiting for a moment to point to our national team and go *that* is the reason why I don't support them, whether it's the players asking for money, or the games not attracting Canada fans or anything.

No chance in hell we'd make money off of it, but I think if we really want to play a friendly in Canada vs. a team that would draw a ton of away fans, we should play Ukraine in Toronto. It would sell out, there's a baked in audience of Ukranians in Canada that love their ancestral land but would realistically pivot to supporting Canada in any game not involving Ukraine.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That’s a good question.  Probably way too much and they’d want a significant cut of the revenue.  In fact, they might say that if we want to play them to do so in the US.

Then do so in the US and negotiate a good % of the proceeds from a well-attended game. Camp costs + some profit. These days $$ count at the CSA. The more the better!

6 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

If it is confirmed, and I think that it is, that Australia is playing one game in the US during the September window, could Canada play against Australia instead of having a blank window? Australia is as good or better than most CONCACAF teams. This should be doable!

After travel expenses, how much could we realistically earn from that one game in the US? Plus, these players fly economy in North America, we know that, so how do you convince Jonathan David and Davies and all those guys to fly AC Rouge to a meaningless friendly in the US that isn’t preparing them for a major upcoming tournament? 

Would love to play Australia though. Jackson Irvine might be my favourite non-Canadian, non-star player out there right now. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

How does decent revenue connect to dog days?

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

After travel expenses, how much could we realistically earn from that one game in the US? Plus, these players fly economy in North America, we know that, so how do you convince Jonathan David and Davies and all those guys to fly AC Rouge to a meaningless friendly in the US that isn’t preparing them for a major upcoming tournament? 

Would love to play Australia though. Jackson Irvine might be my favourite non-Canadian, non-star player out there right now. 

You could ask all those same questions regarding the South Korea and Japan friendlies. All 3 Asian teams that advanced from their group at the last World Cup. It would likely be more affordable to play Australia. Plus we could always send a B+ squad. 

Playing Australia may be problematic for Herdman’s bullshit about top 5 levels and needing them to advance in a World Cup. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

How does decent revenue connect to dog days?

Just thinking of the casual fan who is aware of but doesn't follow the NT, you tune in and see a sea of Mexican flags at BMO and just write it off as Canada still being the irrelevant minnow in the region and that soccer is still very much a central american game, so they tune out and never connect with the team. Revenue is the name of the game at the end of the day, but unless you're selling out BC Place with these super expensive tickets and that revenue saves Canada from the brink of financial disaster, I think what will happen is we make a decent amount of revenue, but everyone watching the game from home just seems a stadium that doesn't care about our own national team, and the next time our team is playing a competitive match, they'll ignore it because "these guys can't even draw their own fans at home because they suck".

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You could ask all those same questions regarding the South Korea and Japan friendlies. All 3 Asian teams that advanced from their group at the last World Cup. It would likely be more affordable to play Australia. Plus we could always send a B+ squad. 

Japan is an overseas flight, meaning business class accommodations, plus, a trip to Japan is one of those things that is very hard to turn down. A mostly MLS squad match against Australia in the US would be cool though. Similar squad to Nations League type thing. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Edited by InglewoodJack

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just thinking of the casual fan who is aware of but doesn't follow the NT, you tune in and see a sea of Mexican flags at BMO and just write it off as Canada still being the irrelevant minnow in the region and that soccer is still very much a central american game, so they tune out and never connect with the team. Revenue is the name of the game at the end of the day, but unless you're selling out BC Place with these super expensive tickets and that revenue saves Canada from the brink of financial disaster, I think what will happen is we make a decent amount of revenue, but everyone watching the game from home just seems a stadium that doesn't care about our own national team, and the next time our team is playing a competitive match, they'll ignore it because "these guys can't even draw their own fans at home because they suck".

Wouldn’t this friendly only air on OneSoccer? How many casual fans would even see it in the first place?

59 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

If it is confirmed, and I think that it is, that Australia is playing one game in the US during the September window, could Canada play against Australia instead of having a blank window? Australia is as good or better than most CONCACAF teams. This should be doable!

@Olympique_de_Marseille seems to track this most closely. Any reason why we couldn't play the Aussies?

19 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Wouldn’t this friendly only air on OneSoccer? How many casual fans would even see it in the first place?

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. Feel like all of the stories that come up after the game is "Canada plays to hostile away from at BMO field, lose 2-0 to Mexico" or something, and all everyone talks about after is how we can't even draw a crowd at home.